Liked: 2

Default Lucas Mechanical F.I. Troubleshooting?

I just pressureized my Lucas mechanical fuel injection unit for the first time (RT5 supervee) and it was spewing fuel out of the front "bleed" tube...... I am a fuel injection rookie, and hoping someone can give me an idea of why it is "leaking" so much fuel here? I replaced the bung seals and the main diphragm...... Also, on the second try, it was spilling fuel out of the other bleed on the right rear side of the metering unit.....

Also, any eduction on the hows and whys of the bleed system would be useful too.....

Any thoughts, leads, or direction appreciated.......

Scott

Liked: 160

[FONT=Verdana][FONT=Verdana]Scott,[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana]Not sure which end is the "front" or "rear" of you metering unit.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana]The bleed tube at the shaft end should leak fuel and be plumed back to your fuel cell or collection tank. There should be no back pressure on the hose.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana]The bleed tube on the cam end should not leak fuel unless the diaphragm is leaking. This should be plumbed overboard away from the exhaust header in case the diaphragm fails.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana]Good luck, Joe[/FONT][/FONT]

Liked: 2

Thanks for the reply.....

I talked to Kinbsler today, and basically, the leakage in the front is due to failure of one of the two O rings that seal the sleeve inside the rotor.... I did not know these were there, so it comes apart and the O rings get changed.

The rear bleed, indeed would indicate a ruptured diphragm, and I need to investigate that. There is supposed to be a little brass tube there, but mine was missing. With the VW motor, the exhaust is just below this and just begging to start a fire...... Kinsler has the little tube, and I will definitely cinnect a line that takes any possible fuel leakage away from the exhaust......

Scott

Thread Information