Liked: 0

Default Another Swift/Honda ready to race!

I finally completed the conversion of my 1984 Swift DB-1 Saturday afternoon. Overall it was a very satisfying process that produced a good looking modern race car. I look forward to taking it to the track in the next few weeks for a couple of regional/national races here in the Midwest.

Being an average amateur driver that's new to formula cars in a new car with a new drive train my goal for the first few weekends is just survival and learning. I can promise no heroics or records just basic testing and further engineering. I'm sure the track times that get published will reflect this and not aid much in the "bigger restrictor" calculations.

I've posted a few pictures of the finished product in my image file for those who wish to see them.
    Glen Tomlinson
    Mid-West Region SCCA
    www.tomlinsonengineeringllc.com

Liked: 309

Looks really nice, Glen...congrats!
    Stan Clayton
    Stohr Cars

Liked: 36

Nice job. So is that where Doug Carter's roller went?
    Crossle 32F, Piper DF5 Honda

Liked: 42

Quote Originally Posted by gtomlinson View Post
    I look forward to taking it to the track in the next few weeks for a couple of regional/national races here in the Midwest.

Being an average amateur driver that's new to formula cars in a new car with a new drive train my goal for the first few weekends is just survival and learning.

Why don't you bring it to the MidwesternCouncil School in a few weeks at Blackhawk Farms? Sounds like the low pressure, with lots of hands on help, follow the leader sessions, good observationa and feedback from instructors, and an emphasis on learning vs speed is exactly the environment you need.
    www.mcscc.org/

Quote Originally Posted by gtomlinson View Post
    I can promise no heroics or records just basic testing and further engineering. I'm sure the track times that get published will reflect this and not aid much in the "bigger restrictor" calculations.
    I don't want to turn your thread into a kent vs fit thread, but I don't think either camp would do that to someone new. The other car that was out early, was relevent to look at that way, since it had veteran driver, a previously run converted car combo, and recent same track experience all going towards an immediate comparison. I wouldn't be afraid of that happening to you.

Looks nice by the way.
    FFCoalition.com
    Marc Blanc

Liked: 11

Default DB1- Fit

Looks good Glen. Meant to ask you how it was coming along on the phone yesterday. Never would know this is the old Roberts/Ehrlinger/Carter car; then again I knew the car when it was red.
    Peter Calhoun
    Motorsport Manager- Michelin North America, Inc.
    Swift DB1-86 FF1600 (bye-bye 3.12)
    2009-10 SCCA CM National Champions

Contributing Member
    Liked: 17

Did you scale the car after the transplant? Would you care to share the weight delta?

Quote Originally Posted by BWC54 View Post
    Nice job. So is that where Doug Carter's roller went?

Yes...
    Glen Tomlinson
    Mid-West Region SCCA

Quote Originally Posted by na94 View Post
    Did you scale the car after the transplant? Would you care to share the weight delta?

Yes...I had to add 56 lbs. of ballast to the car to bring it up to 1,100 lbs. which seemed like a lot. I weigh 155 lbs. dressed to race and the car was prepped to run with zero fuel. I used digital scales that had been recently calibrated.

I have no earlier Kent weights to compare it too.
    Glen Tomlinson
    Mid-West Region SCCA

Classifieds Super License John Robinson II's Avatar
    Liked: 136

My understanding from Scanlan is it is 17 lbs. lighter. Not a problem for most, other then me and Glen, I have about 35lbs now and will have to add more.

Glen, you need to keep 1 gal of fuel in the cell for pick up purposes, expecially with an in-cell pump

John

Liked: 11

Quote Originally Posted by John Robinson II View Post
    My understanding from Scanlan is it is 17 lbs. lighter. Not a problem for most, other then me and Glen, I have about 35lbs now and will have to add more.

Glen, you need to keep 1 gal of fuel in the cell for pick up purposes, expecially with an in-cell pump

John
    17# sounds about right based on the amount of ballast I have in my car and Glen being about 10# lighter than me. When he told me last week that he needed to add 55# of ballast my jaw dropped.
    Peter Calhoun
    Motorsport Manager- Michelin North America, Inc.
    Swift DB1-86 FF1600 (bye-bye 3.12)
    2009-10 SCCA CM National Champions

Liked: 3

Saw this car at Hallett this weekend. It looks great! Good job Glen.
    Bryon Prokopf

Thread Information