Liked: 9

Default '90 Reynard Brake Master Cyl

I would like to install the new master cylinders onto front bulkhead, but I am not too sure if the new threaded plunger rods on cylinders are long enough. The rods on the new Girlings are only 3" and I have threaded hex rods apprx 2 1/2". Can someone give me an idea how long the assembly would be from mounting face to brake bias connector?

I have brake pedal mounted in middle and it looks like I need apprx 7 1/2" total rod length. I guess I can mount them with the threaded extensions I have and if necessary, I can always replace the extensions with longer pieces.

Liked: 3787

It is common practice to use the existing pushrods from your car on the new cylinders. As you disassemble it should become clear.

Liked: 210

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Frog View Post
    It is common practice to use the existing pushrods from your car on the new cylinders. As you disassemble it should become clear.
    What Frog said.

We have a 90SF Reynard and when we changed our masters I had to use the push rods that were in the masters (shotest standard ones) to meet our pedal location.

If you need a 7 1/2" rod it sounds like you have the pedals mounted back quite a bit. Use the old rods.

Girling sells them with 2 different rod length options but neither is close to 7".
    Last edited by rickb99; 03.28.10 at 10:11 PM.
    CREW for Jeff 89 Reynard or Flag & Comm.

Liked: 9

I did have the old pushrods but they were so corroded. I went ahead and used the new rods and pedal is upright. I am using the old hex connectors for added extension. I can always change out the threaded portion that connects to pedal if I need more travel. Thanks,

PS Mike, what are you up to with your car? Just about ready for the next race?
    BTW, I am going to add in the vertical belt mounts now before I finish assembling the fuel cell so it will be ready for a hans device.

Thread Information