Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Liked: 1417

My setup is extremely bizarre here at Road Atlanta, because I was having so many stability issues.

Honestly, I'm kind of embarrassed to post it. If you take every front end setting and make it full stiff and take all the rear settings and make them full soft, then jack all of your other alignment settings to their extremes, you have my setup. It's ridiculous. Probably going to be horrible on tires for any length of time, and I still haven't run 3 laps in a row without spinning wildly off course.

The key here is sector 1. There is a LOT of time in the Esses, and if you can figure out the fast way through, you can knock your lap times down a lot. Turn 7 is really important, as corner speed through there will pay off at the end of the straight, and the T10a/b switchback is HUGE because of the speed carried down the front straight.

Honestly, if you can do consistent 1:19s in race trim for an extended period of time, I think you will be fine on race day. Those banzai laps on the Hotlap chart are white knuckled runs and I don't think they will be too plentiful in race trim. Just a guess...

Liked: 6

Thanks guys !!
    Turn 7 is KILLING me. I have just not been able to get it right. The esses I'm not doing to bad with. But I'm losing a ton of time with my wing setup on the back straight.
    I'll try the setups you guy's suggested, I'm off tomorrow so maybe I'll get a little practice in before the race.

Thanks,

Don

Don, if it makes you feel better, I'm running 1:17s and 1:18s with almost full front and rear wings.

Liked: 125

Full wing you say...I'm starting to feel better about my setup, and my straight-line speed.
    Jacques N. Dresang
    Kettle Moraine Preservation & Restoration
    1977 All American Racers Eagle DGF #005
    1972 Elden Mk10B AM73-49 - #140/1

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Carter View Post
    Don, if it makes you feel better, I'm running 1:17s and 1:18s with almost full front and rear wings.
    that makes me feel worse !!! One of my setups I have the front set at 22 and the rear at 24 an I can't break into the 19's. We all know what that means .
    I have very good high speed stability going into 1 up the hill and through the esses, but at the end of the back straight I'm barely reaching 150. Which tells me that my exit speed out of 7 is terrible. I watched Jacques run the other night with his in car view and he was hitting about 153 at the dog leg down the back straight.
    I've attached the setup that I had my fastest time with, let me know what you guy's think.
    I'm hopefully going to be running for the first time tonight so watch out
    Btw, what do you guy's do for pit stops, I'm going out with enough fuel for 35 laps, is that to much?
    Oh , and still no chat, so if you post up to me I won't be able to respond, sorry.

Don,

I can't log onto rFactor right now (working on some work for a client), but I can tell you that as of last night I have my front wings at 17 and rears at 20. I found it a bit quicker to go through T7 in second gear and almost immediately shift into third while the car is accelerating towards the exit rumblestrips. I also found that it is quicker to hug the right side through 8 then allowing the car to jump over to the right side of the track right away. With that said, try putting a taller gear in for 5th gear to get you into 6th a bit quicker. If none of these things work, pick a green ApexSpeed car. :P

As for the fuel, if you are planning on not stopping, go with one more lap than what the race is and you should be more than perfect.

Cheers,

Jacques
    Jacques N. Dresang

Thanks for the feedback!!

No worries Don,

As Red Green would say, 'We're all in this together.'

Cheers,

Jacques
    Jacques N. Dresang

Contributing Member Jerry Santucci 33's Avatar
    Liked: 1

Default yeah but...

i was looking at the tapes from a camera i have secretly mounted in the pits..
    and i see the guys running 1:18 and better have a guy called Griswald polishing there cars..
    hmmmmmmmm, i think some form of secret wax..
    Seeeeeeeeeeeeee Ya --- Jer
    "Use to be" --- CF #33

Liked: 9

I must be the only one going for straightline speed! I am running 8 and 12 for my wings for the race, and have run as low as 2 and 6 for white-knuckled speed runs. So maybe that's the only reason I got into the 17's... I easily get into the 160+mph range at the bottom of the back straight. It's not as touchy as it sounds once one gets used to it. And the tires stay at a decent temperature in a 12-lap run. Knowing me though, that advantage will all be lost in a lurid spin through turn 1...

Hopefully more people will show up for the race tonight! The field is getting slimmer.
    -----------------------
    Carbir DS3 FB #09

28 laps tonight...

That means about 12.5 spins for me.

I took a few laps a bit ago and glanced at the top speed before braking area into T10 and I was around 158 mph, wings and all.

Wonder where the rest of the regulars have been?

Liked: 9

I hit 162-164 every lap there, sadly that made no difference in the final results other than being on the lead lap at the finish for the first time. Probably not worth the skittishness in the corners. That was a blast though, I think everyone had the best racing we've seen yet!
    -----------------------
    Carbir DS3 FB #09

I had a blast last night! Sure I put myself in a corner by pulling a 1-stopper, but the gamble nearly paid off; much like the Titanic nearly avoided some ice chips.

Attached are the updated points after four events with the added list of everyone who signed up for the series.

Respectfully Yours,

Jacques N. Dresang
    Jacques N. Dresang

Default sorry about that....

to dave...
    yeah, it was me who tagged ya on lap in 25 in turn one - while you was being a nice guy and moving over to let keith pass (really jac and doug paid me to do a nelson piquek jr. on keith to take him out, but dave got in the way. i am keeping the money anywho ) i was also the one who balked dave at the start. i went brain dead and didn't have my revs up. sorry dave
    had a good battle with cam during the race.. very clean and really neat. cam came out on top, but i enjoyed it. (cam, i wasn't blocking, my car really does dart around like that, especially when there are a lot of cars on line and i am close to one of them. still trying to fix that.
    i agree, i think everyone did do very well last night. we all had battles, even with our own cars and came out of it very well. don did well in his first race, and jeff finished his first race. jac moved up the ladder to the top three and codo's to the top three. very well done chriss s drove a very good race (what happened to the jedi knight chriss?) and dave had his troubles with me or would have beat keith easy...
    really good race guys
    "Use to be" --- CF #33

Liked: 25

Hahaha! Me beat Keith? You a comedian Jerry? Truthfully I could beat him but he couldn't handle it mentally so I don't. And thanks for the apologies but it's kind of late to change things. But since you apologized and everything let me clue you in on something. If a car pulls up to your house tonite and two big guys get out who look like their names might be Vito and Bruno whatever you do DON'T open the door! I didn't pay them very much so they'll go away in a few minutes.
    Seriously that's racing. Fagedaboutit.
    Dave

Default someone's knocking at my door....

better not answer it...

"Use to be" --- CF #33

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information