Liked: 1

For Sale Swift DB-4 Offered

Circle D Racing is selling one of its professionally maintained cars
    Car has very low mileage in last 5+ years
    Includes many parts and spares (details upon request) and set-up information for several tracks
    Asking price $20,000
    Please contact Charles C Duncan at chazcd1@yahoo.com or Bruce Lindstrand @ Lindstrand Motorsports (262.7243346) for more information
    Charles C. Duncan
    Swift 016a #98/99

Classifieds Super License Charles Warner's Avatar
    Liked: 416

Powered by . . . . . ?
    Charlie Warner
    fatto gatto racing

'Cause there's bugger-all down here on earth!

Liked: 24

Toyota....

Default Good deal

This is a competitive package that can get you a top 10+ finish, or better at the runoffs for < 50% of that which you could spend on a 014 platform. Also, we can guide on set-up, race craft engine rebuild, etc.

Would consider trade for Mini track-car.
    Charles C. Duncan
    Swift 016a #98/99

Contributing Member
    Liked: 6

Is this car still available? I am 6'2 and weigh 220. Any issues there?

I am 6 foot and 152 it can be a bit of tight fit...however I know it can be done...depending on what is in the tub for stiffeners.

Default Maybe.....

It will be a VERY tight fit. There is no way to know without actually sitting in the car.

Also, do not assume that the seller monitors this forum. You should give him a call if you are serious about this.

If I shrink in the next couples of years...by about 1.5 inches...I will fit ....GREAT

Default Tall hoop.....

BTW, this car appears to have the "tall" roll hoop......which you will most likely need if you are 6'2".

And Tim makes a good point......DB4's seem to have different cockpit panel configurations which affect the width available for your hips. Shoulder, knee, and shin clearance can also be a problem. The only way to know is to spend some time sitting in the car.

Liked: 553

I'm 6', 175 lb. My DB-4 had the original lower inner tub panels and it was extremely tight on my hip bones. I heard some people removed (or modified) them* so normal people could fit.

* The panels, not the hip bones. :-)
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Also there is two panels that originally came in the tub about 4.125 tall and run the length of the viable tub...that removed makes a bit more room...I installed them and the fit is like a glove...I can give photos if ya want...they where some of he first things to come out ..

DB designed the DB4.....for a 143/148 5' 8' to 5' 10 inch tall drive...apparently at that time and still today the very standard for a drivers in all formula cars....some might think ...well you know

Tub without is left pic

with is right

Liked: 553

Quote Originally Posted by DB4 Tim View Post
    DB designed the DB4.....for a 143/148 5' 8' to 5' 10 inch tall drive...
    That was what I heard, too (from Kevin at Comprent). They wanted to win, and part of the equation was a tiny driver.

I bought my DB-4 site unseen (for $19,000 a few years ago). I traveled a few hundred miles to get it. When I first sat in it I said, "Uh-oh. Did I just do something stupid?" Later I determined the fit wasn't too bad, and you know once you're driving a race car you don't think about some things that seem unbearable when you're just sitting in a car. I race crewless (some would say clueless), and another arm joint or two would have been helpful to be able to do my own lap belts. One elbow joint per arm wasn't enough. My current car (VD RF-94) is very tight. The DB-4 was maybe even tighter. I think one kit for a custom poured seat would probably have been good for 15-20 DB-4's! :-).
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Default More pics....

Here are some pics of the very last DB4 tub ever made....

Quote Originally Posted by RussMcB View Post
    I traveled a few hundred miles to get it. When I first sat in it I said, "Uh-oh. Did I just do something stupid?"
    Russ,

I travelled to Le Mans to view the two 1987 March F1 cars. I sat in them and figured I could make it work. So, after I bought both of them and got them back to Memphis I determined there was NO way I could drive them. So, either butcher them or sell them rebuilt. Interesting what your "imagination of the moment" does to one's decision making process.

Bruce Poehlman from St Louis (bought #1 DB-4 from Steve Overton IIRC) is at least 6'1" but he is thin. Thin is the ticket in these cars.
    Charlie Warner
    fatto gatto racing

Liked: 9

I'm the happy owner of Russ McB's former DB4 (via Greg Jezarian). I'm 5'-10", 170lbs. and it's a tight fit. Even being tight you need to add personal padding. I think very few people who have them don't have permanent DB4 'tattoos' (how're your shins Rick?) Saying that, I love the car. It's a blast to drive and very forgiving especially for one with limited talent....and has been very reliable.

Jeez, maybe I should buy it. What a great selection of spares....

Unfortunately for those of us with larger-than-life physiques (I am 6"4" in helmet and 230 pounds) there are few cars of the modern era that we can fit in comfortably (and that IS an important issue!) Lolas (Broadley is tall hisself) and other American cars (Eagles/Shadows, etc.) are where we need to go. Even in the Shadow I had to use the Hans Stuck roll bar (he is 6"6") just to fit (original is titanium BTW.) Vintage beckons in more than one way.
    Last edited by Charles Warner; 01.13.14 at 7:39 PM.
    Charlie Warner
    fatto gatto racing

YUP...that is the one Dave Mclerran finished and sold...he is an unbelievable craftsman...of course he worked with DB assembling the tubs.....well did not work with DB...he did them

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Ross View Post
    Here are some pics of the very last DB4 tub ever made....
    Here are some more shots of one
    Last edited by DB4 Tim; 07.25.09 at 7:58 AM.

Liked: 210

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Warner View Post
    .... Even in the Shadow I had to use the Hans Stuck roll bar (he is 6"6") just to fit (original is titanium BTW.) Vintage beckons in more than one way.
    Is that the DN11 Shadow? Think it's now owned by Jackson Dean Racing out here. If all went as planned, it probably ran the Historics race in Portland, OR about 2 weeks ago,

Jackson Dean has 10 or so cars that they currently race including George Fullmers Shadow Can-Am car (which may never hit the track after a ground up rebuild due to its rarety).

http://www.jdcracing.com/TheCARS/tabid/54/Default.aspx

NOTE:
    The 2 Shadows are next to each other in the circle of cars. These things ALL get run regularly in our local SOVREN vintage club.

Last time I saw it, it also had the livery as shown in your picture.
    CREW for Jeff 89 Reynard or Flag & Comm.

Quote Originally Posted by rickb99 View Post
    Is that the DN11 Shadow? Think it's now owned by Jackson Dean Racing out here.

The 2 Shadows are next to each other in the circle of cars. These things ALL get run regularly in our local SOVREN vintage club.
    That is my DN-9b currently run in the HGP Group. The SHADOW livery was used in that photo as the Canadian Government refused to let any cigarette sponsorship be shown on any of our cars when we ran the support race for the Canadian Grand Prix, regardless of historical content. Normally my car has SAMSON SHAG livery as sponsored for Jan Lammers. There is another DN-9b owned by Ed Swart. His car has the correct SHADOW livery as driven by Elio DeAngelis (sponsored by his father so no special livery.) There are 2 of the 3 DN-11s that were made - one owned by Patrick Van Schoote. I have spoken with the other owner in the past but his name escapes me.
    Charlie Warner
    fatto gatto racing

Default DB4 Tubs....

Hi Tim,

Can you tell me more about the pics you posted of the DB4 tub. Are those pics of the last tub that Dave McLerran made?

BTW, that particular tub is now installed in my car, chassis number 036-89.

So YOU are the lucky guy...damn you......hehe

lets talk on the phone next week

Hi Tim,

Can you tell me more about the pics you posted of the DB4 tub. Are those pics of the last tub that Dave McLerran made?

BTW, that particular tub is now installed in my car, chassis number 036-89.

Liked: 11

Default There are more new DB4 tubs

FYI, I was the guy who bought and installed the "last new DB4 tub" on the car Rick now owns. I bought the tub in 2004 and at the time Dave said he had the pieces for two more tubs but that he did not want to go through the pain of building one only to have it sit on a shelf for 8 years, like the one I bought. Dave said he would need at least $7500 to finish another. I still have my old tub and it is in better than average condition for a DB4 tub but old age has allowed the glue to dry up on the bottom aluminum section and caused delamination. The new tub totally transformed the car and instantly dropped lap times 1-2 sec per lap everywhere I went, the car actually responded to shock and spring changes!

...and Dave is selling the last one now....

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy O'Brien View Post
    FYI, I was the guy who bought and installed the "last new DB4 tub" on the car Rick now owns. I bought the tub in 2004 and at the time Dave said he had the pieces for two more tubs but that he did not want to go through the pain of building one only to have it sit on a shelf for 8 years, like the one I bought. Dave said he would need at least $7500 to finish another. I still have my old tub and it is in better than average condition for a DB4 tub but old age has allowed the glue to dry up on the bottom aluminum section and caused delamination. The new tub totally transformed the car and instantly dropped lap times 1-2 sec per lap everywhere I went, the car actually responded to shock and spring changes!

Bummer.......guess I can no longer claim to have the "last" DB4 tub ever made!

...but you have one...a new one that trumps all....
    Bummer.......guess I can no longer claim to have the "last" DB4 tub ever made!

Default DB4 for sale

With all this chatter, surely someone needs a back-up for the Run-offs! What about a friend? Pass along the good wors - these are the most competive Atlantics for a reasonable cost.
    Chas
    Charles C. Duncan
    Swift 016a #98/99

Liked: 0

Is this car still for sale?

Email him...to damn far to call...hehe

Please contact Charles C Duncan at chazcd1@yahoo.com or Bruce Lindstrand @ Lindstrand Motorsports (262.7243346) for more information

Default DB4

yes, the car is for sale
    Charles C. Duncan
    Swift 016a #98/99

Liked: 0

Sure is! Have emailed

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ffdave View Post
    Sure is! Have emailed

Thanks