Liked: 0

Default Same old question about a tall driver

I am 6'5" 215 lbs, will a Stohr or RFR accommodate a driver that large?

Liked: 710

Same old answer:

Try one of each on.
    Get over to PIR on January 16th for the double national. There should be at least a couple of each there to try out. You also owe it to yourself to check out the Phoenix. Now might be a good time to talk to Dustin.
    Mike Beauchamp
    RF95 Prototype 2

Get your FIA rain lights here:
    www.gyrodynamics.net/product/cartek-fia-rain-light/

Hi Mike, I will be at PIR in January so I will ask a few of the guys if I can sit in their cars. Sorry I do not know who Dustin is.

Liked: 710

Dustin builds the Phoenix F1K-09 that Phil De La O drove to a second place finish at the ARRC last month.
    http://www.phoenixracecars.com/
    Mike Beauchamp
    RF95 Prototype 2

Get your FIA rain lights here:
    www.gyrodynamics.net/product/cartek-fia-rain-light/

The short answer (irony) is that you will fit in the Phoenix or the Stohr or the Speads. The RFR or a conversion are questionable. It is also somewhat dependent on how you are built (long legged, short torso or vice a versa) and the size of your feet. My size 14 feet can fit in either the Stohr or the Phoenix if some thought is given to their needs at construction. Most driver's have the floor height set for their feet and, in the Stohr, for example there is room to lower the floor.

I'm 6' 2" tall and 235 lbs. (naked) but very short legged (30" inseam) so most of my height ii in my torso and I fit in the Phoenix or the Stohr easily. I wear a size 52 long suit coat to give you an idea of shoulder width. Think of me as a really tall gorilla without all the hair.

Usually, (unless it's just minutes prior to a race) these guys will pull their seat out and let a stranger (sans shoes) slide into the cockpit for a test. Go to the races and try some cars on...it's fun.

Hasty Horn
    Last edited by HastyHorn; 12.17.09 at 3:39 PM.

Contributing Member Thomas Copeland's Avatar
    Liked: 165

I'm 6"2" and 230 lbs with broad shouldars, size 12 shoes. I guarantee you that you will fit in a Firman F1000 car. I sat in one several times and will be racing in one next year.

Thomas Copeland
    Firman West Cars
    www.firmanwestcars.com
    Firman F1000

Did you figure it out? I'm 6'4" (34" inseam) and 210lbs and I'm considering a Stohr vs. Firman.

Jason

Liked: 151

You need to try one on, but from what I have seen you will fit in at least Firman, Stohr, and Phoenix. I know you will fit in a Citation. There are probably ones I am forgetting.

Everyone is built differently, but most of the cars are plenty big.

Contributing Member Mike Devins's Avatar
    Liked: 29

You would fit in one of my RF-95 conversions but we would never be able to get you out. My brother is 6'4" 235# and very athletic build. He sat in the car and I took two of us (laughing our asses off!) to help him out. Kind of like Chinese hand cuffs.

Having been in all three cars (Stohr, Firman and the Phoenix) I can tell you that at being 6'4" 245 at the time I fit fine in all of them. You have to build you're seat a little smaller than others and your head sticks out a little higher than others but overall you'll fit. All the modern cars are build for the fa-tass club racers not the jockey looking to move to F1.
    John Stecher - Rochester Minnesota
    http://twitter.com/johnstecher - Follow me on Twitter
    http://www.trackpedia.net/blogs/john/ - My Blog
    http://www.trackpedia.com - The world's premier race track reference

Thanks guys, that's good to hear.

I guess for big guys, the combined weight of the chassis and driver is a potential issue. I've heard that JR was light in the updated Stohr while weighing 170lbs. The Firman looks like it weighs around 860lbs without driver, possibly a 30lb+ weight disadvantage for a big guy. Anybody know what the weight on the Phoenix is?

Jason

I think the Phoenix is in the neighborhood of 760 which would mean added ballast for just about all drivers. I hope Dustin will correct me if I'm wrong. Also, I have a 36" inseam and fit in the Phoenix with pedals adjusted for Phil De La O, so there is plenty of room.

Liked: 21

Default 763 lb.

The Phoenix F1K.09 weighs 763 lb (wet) and would easily and comfortably fit a person of large stature while maintaining the minimum weight of 1000 lb.

I would encourage anyone to call and/or stop by our shop so that you can check out the car for yourself. You will be given the time to check out the car, ask questions, and sit in the car to see if this vehicle would meet your needs.
    Dustin Wright
    Phoenix Race Works L.L.C.
    www.phoenixraceworks.com

Thread Information