Liked: 12

Default Radon announces new F2000 car

Lee, NH (December 22, 2009) - The first images of an innovative new F2000 car, the Radon Rn.10, were released today.

"We started with a clean sheet of paper," according to Dr. Nathan Ulrich, Technical Director of Radon Sport.

Radon Sport introduced an aero package for the Van Diemen chassis during the 2009 season, which resulted in significant lap time improvements and race wins. Ulrich felt the next step was logical: "After testing a Van Diemen F2000 in the wind tunnel in August, we realized we had exhausted the potential of that chassis and a completely new car was necessary."

A team of designers from the US and the UK took on the task. Ulrich credits Ken Anderson for much of the innovation in the new car: "Ken guided the Rn.10 suspension design and shared his experience in several other key areas. He was concerned that we not repeat the mistakes made by other small formula car constructors, and his ideas resulted in several novel features."

Miqdad Ali and Robert Perry, aerodynamicists with extensive experience in motorsport, including Formula 1, were responsible for the aero design. Ali explains, "There are many CFD packages available, but few understand how to effectively use these tools in formula car design. We are using state of the art CFD software and practices, the same used by several championship F1 teams. The final design is a very significant improvement over previous F2000 cars."

At least four Radon cars will be campaigned in the 2010 F2000 Championship Series, starting at VIR in April. GTP Motorsports, a former F2000 series championship team, will field two Rn.10 chassis. "After working with Radon Sport last year with their Van Diemen aero project, we are excited to help develop the Rn.10 into a race winning car," says Glenn Phillips of GTP. "We provided lots of input in the areas of quality and serviceability during the design phase. We know the car will be very fast, but it will also be more reliable and a lot easier to work on."

The first production run of Rn.10 chassis has been sold and is currently in build. The design is fully compliant with SCCA 2010 Formula Continental regulations.

Radon Sport LLC is a new company comprised of talent drawn from motorsport, aerospace, and manufacturing. Facilities include three CFD computing clusters, extensive solid modeling and FEA tools, over 40,000 square feet of manufacturing space, 3 and 5-axis CNC machine tools, and unique composites manufacturing capabilities. Customers include aerospace, military, transportation, and medical companies, as well as constructors at all levels of motorsport, including Formula 1. For more information, visit http://www.radonsport.com or email info@radonsport.com.
    Last edited by nulrich; 01.06.15 at 4:16 PM.

Default Details

The press release is not really targeting an audience like ApexSpeed, and it's written in marketingese, so I thought I'd offer more information about the car if it's of interest. I can bore you to tears with technical details, but what would people like to know?

There are some features we are keeping under wraps until the car is on track, but I'll answer anything I can.

Nathan

Liked: 710

Quote Originally Posted by nulrich View Post
    I can bore you to tears with technical details, but what would people like to know?
    Just one small detail: the price.
    Mike Beauchamp
    RF95 Prototype 2

Get your FIA rain lights here:
    www.gyrodynamics.net/product/cartek-fia-rain-light/

Liked: 3322

Quote Originally Posted by Mike B View Post
    I'll bet it's WAY more than I could ever afford...
    Dave Weitzenhof

Well, I was going to answer, but then Dave posted his message...so, Dave, exactly how much can you afford?

Seriously, it should be about $60k plus or minus for a roller. Final price will depend on how we configure the "base" model and what we make optional. For example, should the Zylon/Kevlar bodywork be an option (saves about 20 lbs but costs a bit more than glass/Kevlar)? Should certain aero bits be optional (dorsal fin, rad inlet winglets, etc)? Should we only offer WRD-prepared gearboxes or also a lower cost option?

One thing we won't do is supply a car with SAE fasteners, non-adjustable shocks and cheap rod ends to keep the price artificially low.

Nathan

Liked: 1

Default CFD

Congrats, Nathan. Are you able to share any information about the software employed for the CFD analysis?

Rick

Liked: 3322

Well, I was going to answer, but then Dave posted his message...so, Dave, exactly how much can you afford? ...
    That's always a tough question. But since I am a vintage racer anyways (me, not necessarily my Citation), and I've always been cheap (how many serious racers tow with a 36-year-old Chevy Van?), I'm afraid I'll have keep my expenditures where they've been for the last several years, i.e., about 1/2 the price of your roller, total, per year.
    Dave Weitzenhof

Liked: 8

..."After testing a Van Diemen F2000 in the wind tunnel in August, we realized we had exhausted the potential of that chassis and a completely new car was necessary."
    Uhhhhmmm.. So I am focusing on this. AUGUST was when you decided to build a new car? And its ready in December? August of 2009?

I've seen rapid prototyping, but this is pretty damn impressive.
    ---------
    Mike Green
    Piper DF2 FF

Quote Originally Posted by mike g. View Post
    Uhhhhmmm.. So I am focusing on this. AUGUST was when you decided to build a new car? And its ready in December? August of 2009?

I actually started laying out the new car in early summer, but we didn't decide to move forward until August. And we are just starting to build the cars now, they aren't exactly ready to roll onto the track. That said, I think four months for the design effort is impressive (although a formula car is pretty simple and we have a good team). The aero guys would have liked to have more time, I'm sure!

We expect to have a car in the wind tunnel in February and start our test program right after that. One nice thing about doing everything in the computer and with CNC equipment, including bodywork and tooling, is that making multiple copies is fast and easy.

Nathan

Liked: 710

Seriously, it should be about $60k plus or minus for a roller. Final price will depend on how we configure the "base" model and what we make optional.
    Given that the first production run has been sold, I would've expected a more accurate, definitive response.
    It's academic for me (and Dave) because I'm not in the market for a $60k car (or a $25k car, for that matter) but this is a great place to find your target market.
    I am interested in some of the technical details. The iterative aero treatment is fairly plain to see. What about gearbox? Dampers? DA? Safety features? From a chassis/mechanical standpoint, what makes this car different from a Van Diemen?

Kudos to you and Radon on this undertaking, It's always exciting when a new car joins the fun, even if it will be many years before I can afford one.

Oh yeah, when will there be an F1000 version?
    Mike Beauchamp
    RF95 Prototype 2

Get your FIA rain lights here:
    www.gyrodynamics.net/product/cartek-fia-rain-light/

Liked: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Ross View Post
    Congrats, Nathan. Are you able to share any information about the software employed for the CFD analysis?

Rick
    Hi Rick, I was part of the Aero effort. We used openFOAM, with our own improvements and scripting to automate and tailor it to our specific use.

Quote Originally Posted by mike g. View Post

Well, on the aero end we may have not drawn new designs until august, but a big part of the new car is simulating and understanding the shortcoming of the old car and scheming ways to overcome them. That was done before August 2009, so we had a bit of a head start.
    -Robert

Congratulations! It is great to finally see a fresh new design that employs proper wind tunnel testing for the aero package instead of guesswork bolt-ons to an old design.
    Enjoy the Track,

Steven
    http://www.EnjoyTheTrack.com
    Was 99/00 FC, now am Just Waiting. Racing is life...

Given that the first production run has been sold, I would've expected a more accurate, definitive response.
    Sorry I can't give you a firm price yet. Obviously, the commercial arrangements with the first customers have some flexibility. We will identify a base price for a "roller" as soon as possible.

I am interested in some of the technical details. The iterative aero treatment is fairly plain to see. What about gearbox? Dampers? DA? Safety features? From a chassis/mechanical standpoint, what makes this car different from a Van Diemen?
    Gearbox will be an LD200 but with a bespoke input shaft and output flanges. WRD will be our preferred supplier, but you can buy a car without a gearbox if you like.

Joe Stimola will offer a Penske 8760 damper package with special valving for this car. The dampers can be included with the car or bought separately. I believe two of the first cars will have an alternate damper, but I'm not sure if we will offer those directly.

The base data acquisition option will be a MoTeC SDL, with the ADL3 as an upgrade. The wiring harness can be adapted to another brand of data system if you prefer.

Safety is a very big concern for all of us at Radon. The car has, as standard:

• carbon fiber composite front and rear crush structures
    • FIA spec high helmet surround and headrest
    • wheel tethers
    • high sidepods at maximum legal width
    • carbon fiber internal sidepod crush structures
    • Kevlar-reinforced bodywork
    • full length carbon fiber/Zylon internal cockpit protection panels
    • 4130 steel floor and main hoop bulkhead
    • 4130 tube frame chassis structure

Essentially the driver is encased in a full 4130 steel and carbon fiber/Zylon safety cell surrounded by crush structure on all four sides. We believe it's a huge step forward in F2000 safety.

I can't disclose more detail about the structure (yet). It does allow us to make a stiffer, lighter, and safer structure, and it's quite innovative.

Oh yeah, when will there be an F1000 version?
    No plans for an F1000 version! Unfortunately, there are some key features of our current design that would not be legal under FB rules. And I think the current group of F1000 constructors are doing a great job already.

Nathan

Liked: 33

I can bore you to tears with technical details, but what would people like to know?

Nathan
    Oh I like as many details as you can give out...this type of info is almost like crack...what ever you can give out, pm to me or something.

Also if you need a full size dummy for full size windtunnel testing I will be happy to do the job
    Chris Buccola track brat since 1986.
    Chicago Region- Corner Worker
    Spec Racer Ford Gen 2 #38

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 923

Interesting choice for a name.

An odorless, colorless gas that does evil things.

But it also sounds neat.

And looks super.

Now if I had 60K around

Liked: 14

Should be a nice package along with the Firman and others. Certainly wont be boring in the F2KCS series this year. Too bad it doesnt start till April.
    Kevin Firlein Autosport,Inc.
    Runoffs 1 Gold 3 Silver 3 bronze, 8 Divisional , 6 Regional Champs , 3x Drivers of the year awards

Classifieds Super License Rick Iverson's Avatar
    Liked: 649

Nicely done, Fellas. But did someone say aero packages for the VDs? Photos and prices?

Merry Christmas

Iverson
    V/r

Iverson

Liked: 1417

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Iverson View Post
    Nicely done, Fellas. But did someone say aero packages for the VDs? Photos and prices?
    Did you read that in another thread?

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Carter View Post
    Did you read that in another thread?
    I think Rick is referring to this quote:

Radon Sport introduced an aero package for the Van Diemen chassis during the 2009 season, which resulted in significant lap time improvements and race wins.
    Ingredients: Nothing but Barley, Hops, Water & Yeast.

Default Aero package

Doug,

They do say something about that in the first entry, third paragraph. There must be something to it, Greg.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg O'dell View Post
    Doug,

They do say something about that in the first entry, third paragraph. There must be something to it, Greg.
    Ah yes, I missed that. I remember seeing something about those on the forums last summer, on a few pro series cars.

Liked: 9

Quote Originally Posted by TrackBrat View Post
    Also if you need a full size dummy for full size windtunnel testing I will be happy to do the job
    Ahhhh.....ummmm...ok....it's the holiday season...and this is just WAY too easy....
    Currently Without Car

Default Van Diemen Aero

Yes, we have an aero package for the Van Diemen chassis, which includes a front wing assembly, rear upper wing assembly, diffuser, lower rear wing with mount and crush structure. Based on our wind tunnel testing, our design is 12.5% better--meaning 12.5% less drag for a given level of downforce--than the next best package.

The existing Van Diemen and aftermarket wing profiles, as well as the ones on all the new cars I've seen, are pretty standard shapes. This is the lowest cost approach. For example, there are many suppliers of the standard FIA profiles mandated in F3, so you can find those cheaply, but they aren't especially good in terms of performance...which doesn't matter in F3, since the shapes are spec.

Our profiles are very specific to this application, and you can't find them anywhere else.

The entire package was developed in CFD and then validated on the race track. Phil Lombardi won overall and Chris Camadella won the masters class in the Watkins Glen F2000 race, and Tom Fatur won the F2000 masters class championship using our parts. Justin Pritchard was second at the Runoffs using our full package (they made a big gamble by running our prototype single element upper wing in the race without testing, and ended up with a huge aero push; had they had a morning warmup to adjust the balance, it's possible Justin could have won, although Niki is a great driver on his home track).

The package was designed specifically around the Van Diemen, but we made some custom mounts to run these parts on the Mygale, and it was a substantial benefit. I imagine they could be made to work on the Piper and perhaps other chassis.

Here are a couple of photos and a price list. We'll eventually have a more polished presentation on our web site, but so far we haven't been able to keep parts in stock, so we haven't pushed them.

Nathan
    Last edited by nulrich; 01.06.15 at 4:16 PM.

Default Gurneys?

Hmm.....the only Gurney flaps appear to be on the rear wing end plates. Interesting. Would you utilize wing Gurney flaps on a higher downforce track?

Contributing Member
    Liked: 8

Default Wind tunnel

Whose tunnel are you using?

Larry Oliver
    Larry Oliver

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Ross View Post
    Hmm.....the only Gurney flaps appear to be on the rear wing end plates. Interesting. Would you utilize wing Gurney flaps on a higher downforce track?
    Those are actually stock end plates. Our new end plates are shown in the CFD renderings and will be available shortly.

No, we wouldn't use Gurneys on any of our wings.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry View Post
    Whose tunnel are you using?
    The Aerodyne A2 tunnel in Charlotte.

Nathan

Do you need a test driver?

Will sleep in tent and transport self and driving equipment to track with own money (or lack of). Resume available upon request.

Liked: 6

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Demeter View Post
    Interesting choice for a name.

An odorless, colorless gas that does evil things.

But it also sounds neat.

And looks super.

Now if I had 60K around
    Ha Ha Ha Ha
    Insightful

Classifieds Super License Rick Iverson's Avatar
    Liked: 649

Sir;

Regarding the center channel, adaptable to, say, the Polecat? What does it give/do?

VR

Iverson
    V/r

Iverson

Regarding the center channel, adaptable to, say, the Polecat? What does it give/do?
    The center channel is higher than the main body of the diffuser, so I doubt it would fit any other make of diffuser. The aerodynamics of the undertray is very sensitive, so I'm not sure it would work very well even if it fit.

The diffuser assembly is worth about 5% on its own, but works even better with the lower rear wing.

Nathan

Default Nathan Contact

Does anyone know how the get in touch with Nathan?

or Nathan could you please drop me a line with your contact info?

Thanks,

Vince

You could send him a PM through this site, or e-mail him at his listed contacts:

Thread Information