Thread: alternator

Liked: 121

Default alternator

Is there an alternator set-up like the zetec available for the pinto FC? If so how much, who has them, new or used, etc.
    Other than additional weight and perhaps a high price, any reasons to not run an alternator on a pinto FC ?

Contributing Member
    Liked: 863

The alternator on the Zetec FC is not Zetec specific. It works off the right half shaft and can be mounted to any Hewland LD200. Why do you need one on a Pinto?
    ----------
    In memory of Joe Stimola and Glenn Phillips

Classifieds Super License Joefisherff's Avatar
    Liked: 103

Default I have the mount

I have a mount if you decide to put one on your car. It mounts to the LD200. With electronic ignition, perhaps an electric water pump, data acquisition you can drain a battery pretty quickly on a Pinto too.

Liked: 447

I was under the assumption that the Zetec used it to power the injectors, the ECU, etc... to keep the HP consistent in case the battery dropped too much during the race weekend (just from an observation). The only reason I would think to NOT run one would be parasitic drag on the motor. One thing we did in the FC was to use a second battery mounted in the nose wired in parallel since we needed to add ballast anyway.
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29
    Follow me on Twitter @KeithCarter74

Liked: 1

Default Alternators

A lot of F3 cars run them, you can get them quite small and a low output, but more than enough for a FC car, try and get your hands on a Kubota tractor one, very small and only two wire, a very simple set up.
    Roger

Liked: 0

We have brackets and pulleys on the shelf at GTP RACING COMPONENTS. ALL TOP QUALITY PIECES ALSO WHEN YOU WEAR OUT A PULLEY WE HAVE REPLACEMENTS ON THE SHELF NO WAITING!

SMART MOVE TO INSTALL ONE, IF YOU STALL IT DURING A RACE CHANCES ARE YOU WON'T GET IT RESTARTED

GTP
    781-393-6887
    603-370-0746
    BILL STEPHENS
    GTPRACE@COMCAST.NET

Liked: 159

Default I have a used one for sale

I will locate the Alternator, run a few tests on it and post pictures. Not sure what they are worth used, but lets start with an asking price of 33% of what they cost new. More later, once I do my homework

The unit was originally mounted on the LD200 of the Formula Renault, and looks to be similar to what I have seen on Zetec cars. Let me see if I can find the bracket to the LD200.

ISKRA 14V30A made in Slovenia.
    Last edited by Roux; 12.26.09 at 3:30 PM.

Thanks for the info. I have more questions! Would the alternator need to be set up on the left side of the ld 200 due to the tail pipe on the right side? Are the brackets universal fit right or left? How does the drive pully attach to the half shaft? Are there different size pully's and how do you know which one you need? All info is greatly appreciated. If you prefer you may contact me directly: bherscher@comcast.net

The fast forward/gtp kits fit on each side of the ld200.
    The alternators will work in either direction, you just need to put some lock tight on the threads for the pinto application since it will be rotating backwards.
    Always carry a spare belt

the drive pulley slips behind the tripod housing . We sell only one size matched pulleys, if you purchase a used one make sure there are replacement pulleys available. They do fail- rocks track dedri etc..

If you have questions please call our tech line m-f 603-370-0746
    BILL STEPHENS
    GTPRACE@COMCAST.NET

Liked: 19

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Wright View Post
    The alternator on the Zetec FC is not Zetec specific. It works off the right half shaft and can be mounted to any Hewland LD200. Why do you need one on a Pinto?

Daaahhh to run the head lights silly.....

Here is a picture of the GTP mounting kit:

Liked: 3322

Default Kubota dynamo on Citation Zetec

I use the Kubota dynamo on my Zetec Citation. So far it has worked great. It is driven off the water pump at ~ a 1.2 ratio (~0.6 x engine RPM). Driving off the WP has the advantage that it is charging related to engine RPM rather than driveshaft RPM. This is especially necessary with the Kubota dynamo since it will not charge until it hits ~1800 RPM at the dynamo.

Attached are a few pics of the installation:
    Last edited by DaveW; 01.25.10 at 5:58 PM.
    Dave Weitzenhof

Dave is that a zetec set-up?

Liked: 3322

Quote Originally Posted by Nardi View Post
    Dave is that a zetec set-up?
    Yes, it is. I should have mentioned that... I changed that post to reflect that.
    Dave Weitzenhof

Liked: 29

If you choose to not run an alternator you will be fine. I don't use one on my Swift FA and I have a high pressure electric fuel pump, ECU, AIM system. The battery is an Odyssey, very small, and it has even restarted the car after a spin. New battery technology is amazing. Of course you will want to have a booster to start the car, and will have to charge the battery between sessions. I have two of these little miracle workers and just switch between sessions.

Jim Gustafson
    Visual Communications

Last edited by JimLill; 12.27.09 at 1:34 PM.
    -Jim Lill
    My Racer

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1493

There's also www.racemate.com for a waterpump/alternator combo (they also make a nice CNC impeller for the pinto)

Liked: 210

Alternator on a Pinto "might" be nice to have.

18 AH battery both cases below.

We ran an MSD ignition in 2008 and use a jump battery that takes the FULL engine start load (bypasses the in car battery) for paddock starts. With that setup and the drain of the MSD, I charged the in car battery probably 3 times during a weekend of racing.

In 2009, we had a 'standard' points/condenser ignition. Could make it through the weekend without a charge on the in car battery.

Alternator would be especially nice with an MSD.

NOTE:
    In both years, ignition OFF on pre-grid and start off the in car battery.
    CREW for Jeff 89 Reynard or Flag & Comm.

We sell a bunch of these for both applications.
    Guys swear they wish they had them years ago, coupled with a nice new battery and forget about it.

remember to put 2 belts on at once so you don't have to take the axle back off, just zip tie it to the side.

GTP RACING COMPONENTS
    GTPRACE@COMCAST.NET
    BILL STEPHENS
    GTPRACE@COMCAST.NET

Thread Information