Liked: 1417

Default Production Fit Race Engine

A few new photos from HPD of the Fit engine in about 90% production version. The kit alternator will be smaller than the factory stock one shown, but the rules will allow both if someone should want to run the larger version for some reason. This engine will be on display at the upcoming PRI show.

Also, there is a Formula F FAQ put out by Honda below, too.

Q: Will the gearbox input shaft be included in the Kit? What about the clutch slave cylinder?
    A: Yes, input shafts come with the chassis kit. The clutch slave cylinder will be included also. The DB-1 will be a complete slave cylinder with throw-out bearing; the DB-6 will have a spacer behind the original slave cylinder. The Van Diemen is in process.

Q: How will the fuel system be set up? What modifications do I need to make to my fuel cell?
    A: The fuel system will be a ‘deadhead’ type. A high-pressure pump and regulator will be located in the cell, with only the main feed, vent and electrical connector exiting the cell. You will need to drill a third hole in the filler plate for the connector and remove some foam to make room for the pump and regulator.

Q: Will I have to modify my bodywork?
    A: The Swift DB-1 and DB-6 will require the addition of blisters on the lower-right and left engine covers. These will be supplied in the Kit. A slight modification of the internal air-box area may be required. Preliminary work on the Van Diemen is showing the need for a new engine cover.

Q: What complete conversion kits will HPD be supporting?
    A: The Swift DB-1, DB-6, and 1999-to-present Van Diemen. [Note, Citation and Piper versions are likely being worked on, as well]

Q: Will HPD supply the dash with the kit?
    A: A dash will not be supplied with the kit. We will supply an engine harness, chassis harness and ECU.

Q: How will I know what dash will work with the Fit engine?
    A: The harness will include a CAN breakout for the dash and one for an analog tachometer. The ECU will use the Bosch MS4 protocol. Check with your dash manufacturer for compatibility with the Bosch MS4.

Q: What sensors will be standard on the engine?
    A: Engine speed (RPM), cam phase, throttle position, manifold air pressure, water temperature, air temperature, wideband Lambda sensor. Optional sensors will also be available for oil temperature, oil pressure and fuel pressure. The engine will be delivered with the stock oil-pressure sender (sensor????), which will shut the engine down when insufficient pressure is present.

Q: Will the ECU have sensor diagnostics?
    A: Yes, there will be a breakout for an LED light box that will flash codes for diagnostics.

Q: What is the power curve of the Fit engine?
    A: This will be determined by the SCCA at a dynamometer test in late January. The SCCA will determine the restrictor size at that time.

Q: Will the engine and Kits come with an assembly manual?
    A: Yes. The kits will include a Honda Fit service manual, an HPD-produced manual for installing engine kit parts onto the stock Fit engine and an HPD-produced manual for chassis installation. There will be a troubleshooting section and dash-connector information will be included.

Q: Will I need to modify the frame to properly install the Fit?
    A: For HPD-supplied kits, no frame modifying will be required.

Q: Where can I get a price list?
    A: The price list for Swift DB-6, Van Diemen and individual parts will be released at the beginning of the year. The Swift DB-1 kit is $11,750.00.

Q: Will any junkyard Fit engine work?
    A: You will need to be sure that it is a 2009 model L15A7. The L15A7 can be identified via the single exhaust port in the head.

Q: Do I have to run the Honda Fit alternator?
    A: HPD will supply kit engines with a smaller Denso unit. This alternator and the stock unit will both be legal for use.

Q: Is HPD accepting deposits for the Honda Fit engine and complete conversion kits?
    A: Yes. A deposit of $500 is required in order to get on the order list. The deposit check should be made out to:
    Honda Performance Development, Inc.
    And sent to:
    Honda Performance Development, Inc.
    Attn: Honda Racing Line
    25145 Anza Drive
    Santa Clarita, CA 91355

Classifieds Super License stonebridge20's Avatar
    Liked: 2004

Q: Do I have to run the Honda Fit alternator?
    A: HPD will supply kit engines with a smaller Denso unit. This alternator and the stock unit will both be legal for use.

Doug, any idea which alternator will be on the test engine and which one uses the least amount of Hp? Also do you know if the rules for Ff state that the alternator must work?

Thanks,

Stonebridge Sports & Classics ltd
    15 Great Pasture Rd Danbury, CT. 06810 (203) 744-1120
    www.cryosciencetechnologies.com
    Cryogenic Processing · REM-ISF Processing · Race Prep & Driver Development

Liked: 7

Quote Originally Posted by stonebridge20 View Post

Doug, any idea which alternator will be on the test engine and which one uses the least amount of Hp? Also do you know if the rules for Ff state that the alternator must work?

Thanks,

Mike;

Per Fastrack...

"5. The alternator must be stock Honda Fit. PN: 31100-RB0-004. The alternator drive pulley must be stock. Alternator connections must be through the HPD engine electrical harness only. The alternator must not be disabled and must be
    accessible to SCCA officials."

I don't know how the part numbers for 2 different alternators will be managed. I remember the initial Zetec engines came without alternators and they had trouble late in sessions and races with power losses resulting from weak batteries. I think all of them now run alternators although the ones I seen have been driven off the transmission.

SteveO

Liked: 23

Its my understanding the 2nd acceptable alternator is due to the stock unit interfering with the down tube on the LH trunion on the DB6. The smaller alternative does not. Since there is no ABS, blower motor (because its powering someones RC car I hear) its shouldn't be a capacity issue to run the engine on the smaller alternator. Is it an advantage to run the smaller? I would think so. But the FAQ published yesterday stated that all core motors sold by HPD will have the smaller alternator; I infer if you run a junk yard motor you can use the stock alternator to your own disadvantage but economic benefit if it fits in your car.

They have stated from the beginning that the wanted the engine to be available to current cars without frame modifications, hence the change from stock. I believe its still a stock alternator, just not stock from the 2009 Fit.
    ------------------
    'Stay Hungry'
    JK 1964-1996 #25

Liked: 309

Tim, I think your analysis is generally correct.

FWIW, the Fit has electric power steering...hence its ginormous (90-100 amp?) alternator.
    Stan Clayton
    Stohr Cars

Liked: 77

The alternate alternator (how often do you get to do that?) is being added for packaging reasons, including, but not limited to the DB-6. When the dyno testing is complete and we publish the restrictor size and the other TBD items, we'll include the alternator part number. (We're going to try to do all additions to the spec at one time before HPD ships anything.) The dyno testing will be done with the alternate part.

Dave

Liked: 977

A modern fuel injection pump draws 8-10 amps. Thats quite a bit for a 15 ah battery in a total loss system,
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

Contributing Member
    Liked: 86

Maybe that's why the engine has an alternator...
    Matt King
    FV19 Citation XTC-41
    CenDiv-Milwaukee
    KEEP THE KINK!

Thread Information