Liked: 112

Default Nick Evans wins Mazda MX-5 Cup shootout

http://www.motorsport.com/news/article.asp?ID=352550&FS=

NICK EVANS WINS MAZDA MX-5 CUP SHOOTOUT
    -- Ohio State University Student will compete in 2010 Playboy MX-5 Cup --

November 19, 2009 (Irvine, Calif.). Nick Evans knows about studying for tests. He is frequently tested as an undergraduate biology major/pre-med student at the Ohio State University. He also tests himself on the racetrack. In September, he earned a 2009 SCCA Runoffs Championship in his Mazda powered Formula Enterprise. Now, after a series of very specialized tests, he will add "professional race driver", to his resume as he moves to the SCCA Pro Racing Playboy Mazda MX-5 Cup for 2010.

Nick will follow in the footsteps of Andrew Caddell, Brad Rampelberg, and Justin Piscitell, the three previous shootout winners. Nick also joins the MAZDASPEED Motorsports Development Driver ladder program class of 2010. The MAZDASPEED ladder has been a critical part of the success of young up and coming racers including Raphael Matos, John Edwards, Conor Daly, Joel Miller, Connor De Phillippi, Dane Cameron, Jason Saini, Todd Lamb, Eric Foss, and Adam Christodoulou.

The five finalists:
    * Ryan Ellis Fairfax, Virginia NASA Teen Champion Mazda MX-5 Miata
    * Nick Evans Hilliard, Ohio SCCA Formula Enterprise FE- Mazda MZR
    * Steven Gorriaran Providence, Rhode Island SCCA Spec Miata Mazda MX-5 Miata
    * Bruce Pendleton Oakland, California NASA PTE Mazda MX-5 Miata
    * Andy Rushing Austin, Texas NASA Spec Miata Mazda MX-5 Miata

The criteria: Given that each of the five had proven themselves on the track to win a championship, the criteria to move up needed to be more encompassing. To succeed on the professional level requires a balance of both on-track and off-track skills including the following:
    * Driving ability -- fast laps
    * Driving ability -- consistent laps
    * Technical feedback -- Understanding of vehicle dynamics and suspension
    * Technical feedback -- Ability to evaluate vehicle handling
    * Technical feedback -- Ability to analyze data
    * Technical feedback -- Ability to improve vehicle handling
    * The [COLOR=#0033cc !important][FONT=Verdana][COLOR=#0033cc !important][FONT=Verdana]business[/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR] of motorsports -- Business proposal
    * The [COLOR=#0033cc !important][FONT=Verdana][COLOR=#0033cc !important][FONT=Verdana]business[/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR] of motorsports -- Business [COLOR=#0033cc !important][FONT=Verdana][COLOR=#0033cc !important][FONT=Verdana]presentation[/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR]
    * The business of motorsports -- PR Skills

The judges: Each year Mazda invites a panel of outside judges to make the selection. The judges brought a wealth of both on-track, and off-track expertise. Over a dozen professionals were involved in either the preliminary business proposal review, or the on-track activities. The panel consisted of:
    * Andy Bornhop -- Managing Editor, Road & Track magazine
    * Roger Caddell -- Victory Lane Data
    * Charles Espenlaub -- Professional Mazda racer, SPEED World Challenge/GrandAm GT
    * Ed Justice Jr. -- President/C.E.O, Justice Brothers Inc.
    * Karl Koenigstein -- BFGoodrich Tires
    * Roberts Kukainis -- BFGoodrich Tires
    * Silvia Mammone -- BFGoodrich Tires
    * John Morton -- Veteran road racer
    * John Naderi -- Editor, Streetfire.net
    * Jan Refsdal -- President, Swift Engineering
    * Lyn St. James -- Founder, Women in the Winner's Circle Foundation & Driver Development Academy
    * Tim Sharp -- Grassroots Motorsports Magazine, professional driver coach
    * Jeremy Shaw -- Writer/broadcaster and founder, Team USA Scholarship
    * Mark Shuler -- Partner, Tri-Point Motorsports
    * Brian Wagner -- Dyson Racing

The tally: After a full day of both driving, and classroom activities, the judges added the objective and subjective scores -- discussing the merits of each driver. It was a very close decision, but the numbers and "gut feelings" were in agreement -- Nick Evans is the newest Mazda professional racer to watch in 2010.

Nick's prize package: The total prize package is valued at over $75,000 and is the largest prize in club racing.
    * $50,000 for the running of his [COLOR=#0033cc !important][FONT=Verdana][COLOR=#0033cc !important][FONT=Verdana]car[/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR] for the season
    * $10,000 in parts support
    * A Sparco driving suit and helmet
    * Professional media training (Courtesy of MAZDASPEED)
    * Ten sets of BFGoodrich tires, one set per race (Courtesy of BFGoodrich tires)
    * Ten entry fee waivers (Courtesy of SCCA Pro Racing)

The quotes:
    Nick Evans: "Wow...After hearing the news I was speechless. All I could say was thank you! I felt so relieved once I won the shootout and for the opportunity to begin my professional racing career with Mazda. I put an enormous effort into the shootout and it paid off. This is really a defining moment in my life. The MAZDASPEED development ladder is truly awesome and puts me on a path to get me to where I want to go. I will soon be battling with the veterans of American sportscar racing and I can't wait. Bring on 2010!"

Steve Sanders -- MAZDASPEED Competition Manager: "This is annually one of the most rewarding yet difficult days for Mazda. We have so many talented club racers it's a huge challenge for the judges to pick just one. We are looking forward to working with Nick in 2010 and would not be surprised to see the other finalists on the grid for the MX-5 Cup in 2010, or at the shootout again next year."

Charles Espenlaub: "Having been involved as a judge in all four MX-5 Cup Shootouts. I can say that every year I am truly amazed at the level of talent in the Mazda family. Everyone should be proud of their [COLOR=#0033cc !important][FONT=Verdana][COLOR=#0033cc !important][FONT=Verdana]performance[/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR] and abilities both on and off the track. And I can only hope everyone enjoyed the experience as much as I did. "

Lyn St. James: "Mazda is truly committed to a driver development ladder program and reaches out to champions from a variety of categories of grassroots racing with the intent of rewarding them for their excellence. This year's shootout provided the opportunity for a diverse group of drivers to show their stuff, challenge their knowledge, as well as provide them with some important tools that will help them along the way. It was a privilege to be a judge, and extremely difficult to select only one driver to receive the Mazda MX-5 Cup Shootout Award."

John Morton: "It was exciting to see these young and not so young champions compete for a boost up the difficult ladder they are attempting to climb. I wish them all success and applaud Mazda for giving them the chance that they all earned."

Tim Sharp: "Probably the best Mazda Shootout ever! A very talented group of SCCA and NASA champions who were separated by the slimmest of margins at the end of the day. Judges with decades of experience in road racing and the business of motorsports scoring them. It was gratifying to see how well this year's group of age-diverse drivers got along. With the drivers scoring well in the areas of chassis set up, communications and the motorsports marketing, it really came down to who was the fastest, most consistent driver on the race track. Isn't this the way it should be?"

Mazda is the brand of choice for road-racers across North America. More than 9,000 grassroots racers compete in various classes with the Sports Car Club of America (SCCA) and the National Auto Sport Association (NASA). Racers who are years away from earning a driver's license can now begin a professional motorsports careers in the Mazda family. A driver can begin in karts and progress through the Skip Barber series, Club Racing Formula Mazda, professional Star Mazda and finally to Formula Atlantic, all with Mazda. No other car company has ever connected the dots this way.

Celebrating its 40th Anniversary in the United States in 2010, Mazda North American Operations is headquartered in Irvine, Calif. and oversees the sales, marketing, parts and customer service support of Mazda vehicles in the United States, Canada and Mexico through nearly 900 dealers. Operations in Canada are managed by Mazda Canada, Inc., located in Ontario; and in Mexico by Mazda Motor de Mexico in Mexico City.

-credit: mazdaspeed motorsports

Liked: 53

Way to go Nick !! I wish you luck next year. You totally deserve this opportunity. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if you win the championship ! Just don't forget about us back here in FE land. Please come back for some cameos ! We're also running a pro series...just sayin'...
    Paul Schneider SEDiv FE 73
    www.facebook.com/paulschneiderracing

Liked: 447

Wow! Congrats Nick!!
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29
    Follow me on Twitter @KeithCarter74

Liked: 0

The entire JAY Motorsports family would like to congratulate Nick on winning the Mazda Shootout!!!!!!!!! It has been a real honor to work with Nick, and we wish him all the best in the 2010 MX5 Cup Series!

Jay Green

Contributing Member glenn cooper's Avatar
    Liked: 136

Default I gotta say...

When I saw Nick's FE lap times at VIR, I knew he was headed somewhere!
    That somewhere turns out to be up the Mazdaspeed M/S's development ladder.
    Way to go Nick!

Coop

Liked: 2

Great news for Nick and how about Jay Green giving him a top notch FE do do it in.
    Nice job guys !
    Ed
    "The visibility at the best of times is liable to be a bit hazy due to clouds of ignorance"... Carroll Smith

Liked: 20

Awesome job Nick! Nothing like the FE guy taking it to the guys that drive MX-5s all the time!

Default Thanks!

Thanks for the kind words guys! I have to give a HUGE thanks to Jay Green and all of Jay Motorsports for their awesome support, they are truly a tremendous and professional team.

Nick

All that SRF/FE training paid off. Congrats man!
    Matthew Inge
    http://www.MatthewIngeRacing.com
    Never Forget VT 4-16-2007

Quote Originally Posted by iamuwere View Post
    http://www.motorsport.com/news/article.asp?ID=352550&FS=

NICK EVANS WINS MAZDA MX-5 CUP SHOOTOUT
    -- Ohio State University Student will compete in 2010 Playboy MX-5 Cup --

Go Bucks!!!
    Ken

I had a really good feeling about this and have enjoyed Nick and his father, Jim, so much at the track over the last few years. I LOVE this ending to the "amateur only" portion of Nick's career! His time with Jay Motorsports and in Enterprises cars really got going when he stepped in to the FE!

Go get 'em Nick! We could not be more proud to have one of our own claim this great prize!

Also THANKS MAZDASPEED...we love being part of your family!
    Sincerely,
    Erik Skirmants
    SCCA Enterprises

Liked: 14

Awesome job Mr. Evans!
    juan marchand

Liked: 896

FANTASTIC Job Nick. No question that you are on your way. Good luck in the future.

Jay Novak
    Thanks ... Jay Novak
    313-445-4047
    On my 54th year as an SCCA member
    with a special thanks to every SCCA worker (NONE OF US WOULD RACE WITHOUT THE WORKERS)

Liked: 1

Wow! Great job Nick! I knew it wasn't my imagination.

scott

Liked: 210

Very nice job indeed and I wish you all the success in the MX-5 Cup Series.

The 1st winner in 2007, Anderw Caddell (one of our home town drivers ) parlayed his MX-5 Cup experience in to continuing down the road of professional driving (not a cake walk by any means financially). He won the Mustang Challenge Series this year!

http://www.andrewcaddell.com/

It's a terrific opportunity.. ENJOY THE TRIP!
    CREW for Jeff 89 Reynard or Flag & Comm.

Fallen Friend
    Liked: 33

Congrats Nick, your father, and Jay Motorsports; its good to see someone from FE/SRF beat all the Miata guys in a Miata
    Scott Rettich

Liked: 9

Way to go Nick! Awesome job. Good luck in the new series!
    Steve

Liked: 13

Congratulations Nick and Jay Motorsports. Good luck in the future.

Liked: 10

Default The Champ!

Congrats Nick! Go get 'em!

Liked: 11

Congratulations Nick! Kick everyone's butt next year too!

Justin

Thread Information