Contributing Member
    Liked: 98

Liked: 5

Default Reno-Fernley

What a bummer. I used to road-race karts on this track and aside from it being a fairly rough surface, was a blast to run the hills.

Bruce
    FM 92

Liked: 72

This has been rumored for a long time. It's sad to see this happen but it wasn't a surprise. The track, while very well designed, was poorly made and had more issues than a bumpy surface.
    The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views and opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR. thanks, Brian McCarthy, BOD area 9.

Contributing Member D.T. Benner's Avatar
    Liked: 2

Default "Fairly Rough Surface"?

Your being to kind. The place was a car breaker. Just see Renny Clayton's on board video in the Atlantic section.

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1501

Sorry to see that it got worse. A few friends and I ran a practice day there in 05 (before the upper section was finished) and I could only run half-hrottle down the backstraight. The track blamed it on the coldest/snowiest winter in a decade, but perhaps the roadbed wasn't prepared properly. In the desert it's popular to just grade and then compact the surface and throw some asphalt on it.

The lower track was pretty interesting (even with the decreasing radius esses in a braking zone - sort of like buttonwillow backwards) but the upper section was so busy it reminded me of the Nurburgring.

Why can't people build fast tracks anymore?

Thread Information