Thread: June Sprints

Liked: 0

Anybody up at the June Sprints that can give updates on how the FC's are doing? Unfortunately, I got stuck in Michigan for a wedding so could not make the trip with Mr. Defer and Mr. Jordan.

Liked: 1417

We had a slight change of plans today and will be heading out to Road America tomorrow before daybreak. I wish I had a remote connection to make some updates via laptop, but you'll have to wait until we get home tomorrow night for the race report.

More tomorrow evening, pictures to soon follow.

All I can give is that as of yesterday's qualifying, Hodges had the pole.

I have the complete official results right here with me, as we just returned from RA. Hodges lost the pole after the last qualifier this morning to a blistering lap by Mike Potekhen of a 2:14.7, if you can believe that. There were more than a few cars qualifying under the track records in many classes.

I am getting ready to post all of the finishing positions now. See the front page of the website for all of the final details.

2001 June SprintsĀ® Official Results posted here, about 3 minutes after they were posted on the Chicago Region site.

Hey, I had to type them all in, and I am so tired I am starting to see double.

From those of you who attended as participants, crew, drivers or otherwise, there were some interesting happenings during the event. I am wondering all of your takes on the different scenarios.

A few off the top of my head were:

- Once again Pro F2000 drivers and teams attending an amateur FC event, and dominating the class.

- The VERY unusual start in the FF split field start with the pole sitter almost stopping the field in turn 14 way behind the pace car, and then getting black flagged for the maneuver while leading and pulling away.

- The overwhelming aroma of REALLY expensive racing fuels in the paddock and emanating from the exhausts of MANY Continentals.

What is the feedback from the guys who were there, and from those who also have opinions on some of these issues?

Well, I hope SCCA is proud of themselves. As you noticed the aroma of the fuels. I noticed the same thing at MidOhio for the last National while attending and not driving. The pro teams especially and a few choice Atlantics had the same smell..sort of fruity smelling. All we have achieved now is they have developed a fuel that will pass the inspections and probably costs $40 a gallon now. This is just like watching my dog chase its tail..HEY HERES AN EXCELLENT IDEA ...HOW BOUT THEY MAKE A SPEC FUEL THAT WE COULD BUY ....SAY...NO WAIT WAIT THEY GIVE TO US WITH OUR OVERPRICED ENTRY FEES AND REFUND OUR MONEY FOR THE FUEL TEST PORT EXPENSE. .......wow I think I phased out there for a moment.. Anyway seems as yes they have found a new fuel. Congrats to anyone willing to pay the price to win the frickin trinket trophy. That must be why the price of gas came back down! I TOLD YOU THEY WERE BEHIND IT>>

------------------
    Tab FC#92

Liked: 3787

Fruity smelling?

OMG I have been found out. You guys always thought that when my crew stood on the pit wall holding those drinks with the little umbrellas in them, that they were going to drink that stuff? The umbrellas shield our secret formula fuel from UV rays.

Seriously, if you have no fuel in the car after the race, what do they check? Open the test valve on the cool down lap....

While we are on fuel. What was wrong with the mechanical fuel pumps that we have been using for over 20 years? Does no one make a diaphram for them that can take these "new" fuels, so we all have to switch to electric pumps this fall... Who lobbied for that change? Why?

Frog, I am shocked you don't konw the answer to this. Have you ever seen a stock pump on a top fueler? Hell No. Gotta have lots of fuel running thru these things to use this exotic fuel 40% for fuel 60% for cooling, almost like following a FV with all that stuff spraying out actually I'm suprised that anyone would want to push the electric pump, just one more drain and electrical connection to worry about. I have seen in the past guys at regionals using them though. Seems there is already limited space for stuff let alone adding an oversize pump. This is just a request to be allowed to run instead of a mechanical isn't it? ....HOlly crap here we go Frog, get your soap box shinned up! JETHRO..CALL MR DRYSDALE AND GET THE TRUCK SHINNED UP ...WE'RE GOIN PARADIN

------------------
    Tab FC#92

[This message has been edited by Tab M (edited June 26, 2001).]

I think two guys got points from CenDiv. 7th and 9th.

The field was dominated by the pro's. We were next to a team in the upper paddock. Mr. Green had his $1,400,000.00 Provost parked next to his two F2000 cars with their four engineers and 70ft transporter.

They must have been roughing it, I think they left the helicopter at home, so they had do drive to the hotel every night.

Anyway, everyone already knows my thoughts about the pro's racing with us for points so I will spare you.

I was nice to see everyone again.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 100

dan, make that 2nd, 7th, 8th, and 9th.

Liked: 3322

Not everyone that scored was a pro. I finished 2nd with my $20K/year budget. And, yes, I used the fuel of the week, ERC VFDX. Did I want to use it? NO! I felt I had to use it to be competitive. If you want SCCA to know how you feel on the fuel issue, write or e-mail to Sven Pruett (and anyone else you can think of at SCCA) telling him what you think. I have called and written him saying that I and most others in the class would much prefer a "spec fuel" to the current "exotic fuel of the week" situation. He said that he favored a spec fuel, but he does not have control of the situation.

[This message has been edited by DaveW (edited June 26, 2001).]
    Dave Weitzenhof

Contributing Member ennis bragg's Avatar

LaPoint is 6th in pro series points. Potekhen is 16th in the points. I don't see anyone else that has more than 2 starts in the pro series this year. With club racers like Wietzenhof (hi Dave), Defer (hi Mark), and Fahan, kart racers like Wilson, LaPoint, and Irving, the results of this race should remind everyone here that FC is the place to be!!! It would have been nice to see how Luyendyk, Rojas, and Rodarte would have faired. Those are the pro guys who have been cherry picking this year, not that there's anything wrong with that. But, it's interesting that they didn't run the Sprints.

Dave, first congrats on the finish and also the comments on the fuel issue. Not many guys will admit to having to run the hot stuff, be it legal or not. I think the spec fuel is an excellent idea but as you said hard to enforce. Out of interest does the fuel you use have this fruity smell? Or are the pro guys importing some toxic waste with lemon pledge mixed in? What would be your estimate in hp gain using that fuel over track fuel? Is it significant or just necessity to keep up with the others? Thanks again.

------------------
    Tab FC#92

Liked: 3322

To answer your questions:

Yes, it smells like an orange peel from a distance. Up close it smells much worse.

The gain in HP was around 3-4 hp over my usual Avgas and the throttle-response off the corners was better. The new rules (effective July 1) are targeting this stuff, so this variety will likely be illegal as of then.

Although I'll hate to see it, most likely, something new and even more expensive will be developed to pass under the new rules and produce at least as much HP. That's the main reason why I would prefer a spec fuel rule.

Originally posted by Tab M:
    Dave, first congrats on the finish and also the comments on the fuel issue. Not many guys will admit to having to run the hot stuff, be it legal or not. I think the spec fuel is an excellent idea but as you said hard to enforce. Out of interest does the fuel you use have this fruity smell? Or are the pro guys importing some toxic waste with lemon pledge mixed in? What would be your estimate in hp gain using that fuel over track fuel? Is it significant or just necessity to keep up with the others? Thanks again.

Dave Weitzenhof

Liked: 1

As long as we're talking about fuel, I might as well throw a stupid question out there. Bear with me please! These "magic" fuels...where do you go to find them? How do you find out that they exist? It's really a curiosity question, as paying $4 per gallon is already enough for me. Thanks!

Thanks for the reply Dave. That is pretty significant increase. Sorry to see it take this road of expense for club racing. To clarify my standpoint on the fuel issue (as I do a lot of whining about I know) my only problem is that it prevents the use of pump fuel which is a rather nice convience for a regional racer like myself and some others. I personally don't care if other fuels are used except from any health standpoints, as it only adds to my ego if a guy comes to a regional and burns this stuff to make sure he beats me (hereby named slugpuppy Jr.) just to win the token of appreciation. You national guys take this real serious and I can appreciate that, hence why I dont come to nationals and make you guys go around me or pass you backwards however you look at it. I think I will send in a request for the fuel rule to be void at regional events, after all who in their right mind is going to spend this kind of money to run with a bunch of backmarkers? Seems silly to me. What do you guys think.

------------------
    Tab FC#92

[This message has been edited by Tab M (edited June 26, 2001).]

As a footnote to my previous reply. 2 weeks ago at Nelson Ledges regional an S2 guy was DQ'ed for illegal fuel, turbo blue from in town. Only thing that would have been worse if he had been DQ'ed for running pump gas unleaded 97, I don't know about all the states but in some it is illegal to carry fuel inside an enclosed trailer. I believe one of the states is Indiana and can carry a fairly heavy fine. Does anyone have any info on their particular state?

Liked: 78

http://www.ercracingfuels.com/message.htm

Thought you might find this interesting.

Hey...thanks again for the stickers! I thought this was an equal oportunity website. I am calling my attorney.

Wings, Joe, WINGS!

Next time, we'll trow some black ones on that funny looking yellow thing without wings.

[This message has been edited by Doug Carter (edited June 26, 2001).]

Yeah, that was an interesting report from ERC. Then again, the big tobacco companies for many years refused to acknowledge the fact that smoking cigarettes causes cancer and death.

I would love to see the statistics and scientifically recorded data that show that those "rocket fuels" are no more dangerous than regular street fuels to breathe. Something tells me that when your eyes are watering from the exhaust of the cars in front of you, that might not be real healthy.

Aside from the obvious health concerns, just the price of the fuel for club racing is totally silly.

Originally posted by Jtovo:
    http://www.ercracingfuels.com/message.htm
    Oh brother. This is the same guy who refused to send me an MSDS for his fuels (by law he has to send a copy with each shipment), until I threatened to obtain a copy through his fire marshall or OSHA.

Sorry if I left someone out Mark. I have not seen any results posted yet. I was going for a ride in the big truck with the hook on it when you guys were dancing on the podium.

You really have to congratulate anyone finishing close to the front in such a competitive field with so many cars.

I hope some of the regional racers that have the opportunity will upgrade their licence and come and join in on the fun next year.There are alot of races within the race so there is room for everyone.

I would also hope we could use a standard fuel. I was running the hot stuff as well but really don't like paying the price or having my trailer smell like rotten fruit.

From a newby to the National level and first trip to the Sprints, I wouldn't miss it for anything! Dan is absolutely right about there being room for regional racers who upgrade their licenses to run an event like this.

Even though my car is older than most, I found a group of cars to run aggressively safe with and had an awesome time (if you exclude the first practice session in which I lost an oil line...sorry to any competitors who found the kitty bin because of me!).

Doug and Keith: Thanks for stopping by and for the stickers!

John

fuel?.....SUPERJUICE?....NOTHING NEW!!!
    SOMEONE tell me who finished 1st,last,and who
    got GASSED??? when I left it was to never return to the best RACE THAT WAS!
    HATS OFF to D>W> for letting the unknowns know what the competion cando.,OR CANDO!?
    BY the way....20k budget? OK!<OK!
    SO?....WHY DIDNT FUEL GET TESTED!!!!by,OUR~
    GOVERNING SOULS!!!!!!
    WE NEED ANSWERS TO THIS....!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?
    WHATS DONE IS DONE! SO,somebody better
    figure,or we better figure out what we want to do. I'LL go either way. Let everyone run
    what they want,or suspensions for not using track FUEL. GOT NOOOO PROBLEM either way....
    BUT! CLUB racing should be kept at the lowest
    cost possible and fair to competition so a regional/national driver can compete at their
    perspective level.
    THESE RULES should be WEIGHTED to drivers
    imput,and made accordingly.NOT,just by board
    MEMBERS. WHO,I MIGHT ADD DO TRY THEIR BEST.
    :d :rolleyes
    so,grab your balls and say what you want!!!!

Contributing Member

Unfortunately, as long as we run that witch's brew of hydrocarbon floor sweepings that we call "gasoline", it will be possible to outwit the spirit of the rules.

I've seen all kinds of fuel rules in go-karting and they're all miserable failures.

Dielectric test? A joke. Easily circumvented. The only thing a dielectric test ever caught was the poor guy who bought Meijer gasoline to cut his Cam II. Oh, or the cheater who was stupid enough to put alky or nitro in the fuel. And anybody that dumb deserves to get caught.

Reagent test? Wrong again. The guys who blend fuels won't be caught off guard for more than one race!

The only thing even close to a solution is Dave's spec fuel. Here's how it might work: Everybody runs what the track provides. If it isn't what you like, Tough T*tty. Them's the rules. At the beginning of the weekend SCCA checks the dielectric and specific gravity of the fuel at a given temperature. I doubt even the best fuel blenders will be able to duplicate BOTH of these characteristics in a short period of time. After the race, if you are more than x.xx% away from the standard, you're out, Sparky. Oh, and if your car "runs out" of fuel on the cool-down lap, sorry. You need to have enough fuel to test!

The only pain I can see this causing is the wait in line to get fuel on Friday or Saturday morning, when time is short enough. But if it can save our health and the $250+ per weekend needed to run the rocket fuel isn't it worth a little hassle?

The only other absolute way to get rid of the high priced go-fast gas is to run methanol. Unfortunately, this is totally unworkable for us...

Thanks for listening.
    You know you're old when all your driving heros are collecting Social Security...

RIGHT ON THE MARK,to DAVE & TOM...
    :d

Liked: 3

Originally posted by Tab M:
    who in their right mind is going to spend this kind of money to run with a bunch of backmarkers? Seems silly to me. What do you guys think.

[/B]
    I've smelled the odor of fabric softener dryer sheets in the exhaust of several Vees running Midwestern Council races. Maybe they were SCCA or Pro Vee drivers racing with us for fun or for testing, but that could be considered an even bigger waste. After all, if you need it to get past ME...

Thread Information