Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 111

Default Shipping a hewland

Anyone know how to ship a hewland (SAFELY) to Australia? Motor Crate? Suggestions?
    Please advise. I want to ensure I dont have a problem...
    Corky!

Liked: 4

I've had fantastic luck shipping them in a regular old Coleman picnic/beer cooler. They are inexpensive, and offer a lot of impact protection. Obviously in most cases the input shaft needs to be removed....

Default Hmmm -

Good Idea!
    Thanks!
    Corky....

Anyone else?

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1494

Beat me to it! I use those to ship heads too. I bolt wood to various bosses to keep the part wedged in well, then backfill with something that doesn't compress a lot, like clean rags.

Don't forget to band the lid down with reliable strapping. The cooler latches covered with duct tape probably won't do.

Liked: 0

Corky - I used the big cooler idea several times back in my S2 days - and the neat thing about it is that if you get one with a big folding handle and wheels, they are easy to drag down to the UPS depot...
    Clark

Liked: 1

Default Right on

and when they are empty, you can fill them with beer
    Roger

Default Great Stuff...

Great Stuff...Thanks!
    And I like Rodger's idea!
    Corky

Deal fell though because the gearbox bell is trimmed and buyer needed an un-trimmed gearbox. (Its your typical modification to fit most fords)
    Last edited by cjahn; 08.19.09 at 8:16 AM.

Liked: 19

Default Taylor Pallet

I have a Taylor shipping pallet for MK9.....$5 plus shipping...post office should be cheap

Default What method?

Ok, So I have a deposit in hand... Just need to figure out what company. Customer is in no hurry and is ok with boat delivery. Most cost effective solution is OK)

I priced out three separate boxes versus one large heavy one... The large heavy one was 30 - 40% less... via UPS or USPS.

So, the plan is to use a cooler hopefully with expaning foam (like seat material) to fill the voids. BUT, now the question is how to get it there.

suggestions?

Corky!

Liked: 87

Default Shipping choice

I have had good luck shipping with BAX Global to Au. 4-10 day and not too expensive with insurance. This is done by air so damage is not a real concern.
    Mike Winebrenner

Liked: 2

Guys - Re Bax Global - they have been bought by a German company called Schenker and the two have merged under the Schenker banner. I worked for Schenker for 20 years. Whatever you do - dont ship via Bax (aka Schenker) for domestic US shipments - they are totally unreliable and useless.

I shipped my FF engine and Hewland with Watkins Freight Lines and found them to be competitive in price and good service. But there are a bunch of other truckers who ship "Less than Truck Loads (LTL) - such Roadway Express Trucking, Dayton Freight, Yellow Freight, Southeastern Freight Lines, Central Transport and SAIA Motor Freight.

My recommendation - after 30 yrs in the transport business - stick to an established name and shop around for pricing.

Best of Luck
    Mark G

Liked: 2

Gusy - sorry but I forgot to say that BAX 4 day is definitely a ground service. It is not an air service as our colleague suggested.

Banned
    Liked: 1116

I'd ship it with whoever is going to allow you to insure it at the full value you sold it for.

and

accept it in it's currently packaged state

and

handle it the fewest times before it leaves the States and once it arrives in Au.

Freight rarely gets damaged in transit, it gets damaged while being handled.
    Last edited by Daryl DeArman; 09.17.09 at 12:22 AM.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 96

Mach one air was pretty good shipping engines across the country. they probably ship overseas too. They pickup and deliver to shops and prices were very good.

Quote Originally Posted by cjahn
    Customer is in no hurry and is ok with boat delivery.
    Guy I normally have ship large items is apparently sending a container of cars ex Long Beach sometime in October....clearing Customs in Sydney sometime in December at a guess...if that's of any use. Not sure he'd be interested in on-shipping if located elsewhere though. Some mill tooling ~ US$1k, in a box about half the weight and dimension of a Hewland came to mid $Au300 once taxes and freight were taken into account.

Default Wow! That might do!

$300 is good...
    We were talking about a similar arrangement but this may be option two!
    Thanks!
    corky!

If he wanted to contact him re costs - and I'd imagine that's the most expedient way because of GST and other nasties he'd have to pony up for..... or unless you're feeling particularly generous! His number is (02) 9680-2723, mobile 0414 522-533.....John.

Don't suppose there's a cheap VGC rather than a Mk9 lurking there as well?

Don't suppose there's a cheap VGC rather than a Mk9 lurking there as well?
    Not familar with this term? VGC? We do have another hewland that just came up for sale but it is $3500 due to the pending sale of another car without engine/gearbox

Classifieds Super License Charles Warner's Avatar
    Liked: 416

Hewland VGC gearbox. Around 1986 - an upgrade of the Hewland VG which was a continuation of the DGB concept.
    Charlie Warner
    fatto gatto racing

'Cause there's bugger-all down here on earth!

Liked: 87

Default shipment choice

Let me know what you decide on and $ amount, it will help me ship more stuff in the future. I did ship a very $$$ engine to Au with the old BAX and had good success, but then that was over two years ago... I liked them because they picked it up at my location. How expensive is UPS? will they not do it?
    Good Luck!!
    Mike Winebrenner

Default The end...

Shipped in a double boxed crate sorrounded with SHIPPING foam after being completely wrapped in bubble wrap - via UPS. (Buyer didnt want to pay for a cooler and/or the expandable foam I intended on using. Buyer also desired only $500 in insurance due to import costs and etc - against my suggestions and insisting on proper packing)

Buyer arranged for it to be packed into a shipping container going to the AU for a total cost of $60 from California (WOW). I just had to get it to CA. ($150)

So....its done! Thanks for your help, suggestions and information...
    Corky!~

Thread Information