Liked: 11

Its just a week from Friday... who is going to be there? When are you planning to arrive and are you planning on entering both races? Practice day?
    I'll be there Thursday night/ Friday very early and plan on driving Friday, Sat, and Sunday. I have called the track and they do not have power in the padock yet... (Northside tool Rental is getting a bunch of the Honda U2000 generators in... $40 for the weekend and they are very quiet).
    Sean O'Connell
    1996 RF96 FC
    1996 RF96 FB
    2004 Mygale SJ04 Zetec

Liked: 3787

We are planning on it. Sent the money. Well... actually Fed-Xed the money Monday. You know how that went over with tight-wad me. Read the entry Monday after we got back from Atlanta in one piece, and it said it had to be in BEFORE Wednesday (today), or you pay $50 more. I wish they would get with the on-line registration program.

We won't do the Friday test, but will probably roll in that afternoon. We will most definitely NOT do the Saturday race. Sort of boycotting that high fee.

We will bring our 5500 watt generator. Possiblly the world's loudest. So don't park on the left side of my trailer. If I can get close enough to Court's trailer I may not have to crank up the loud beast. Court won't be there (Gator Nationals), but there will be a SM rolling out of his rig.

Liked: 0

Sent my $$ and plan on getting there Friday afternoon. I'll be doing the Sunday race only as well. I will say the carnage of last weekend has me a little nervous!
    Any time you solve one problem you invariably create another. Hopefully this one is easier to live with.

Mark

Things can happen, even when things are going great! So you should be building a "bit-o-bump" into your budget. It's the one's you don't see that will get you.

Don't let that, however, be on your mind too much.

I wish I could be there with you

Have a great weekend boys....and Safe Drively!
    Peace
    HardRock Motorsport

Carnage?

A couple of blown engines...

Carnage is when it takes 8 guys to load your chassis back in the trailer.

Last weekend amoung the FAs, FCs, and CFCs there was not even a scratched wing end plate.

Contributing Member

I should get there Friday evening. I haven’t decided yet about Saturday’s race. The cost seems high for ten laps, but I could use the track time and the more races I get in early this year the better. My wife is due in August so my season will probably be cut short. If the wx is like last Saturday I’ll probably skip the regional and save the money.
    Rob

Sorry, carnage was indeed too strong a word. Let's just say "Mechanical Anomolies"
    Any time you solve one problem you invariably create another. Hopefully this one is easier to live with.

Anyone have an open slot on their crew list for next weekend? I plan to drive over on Saturday to check out the facilities...

Doug Jewett

Liked: 553

Doug, send me an email message if you are still looking for an empty crew spot.

Russ
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

How strict will they be re who get into the padock? I know I have a bunch of folks who are comming to check out the race & I know they will want to wander down to my trailer and say hello...
    Any idea what the admission price will be?
    Sean O'Connell
    1996 RF96 FC
    1996 RF96 FB
    2004 Mygale SJ04 Zetec

I had the same questions.
    For once I did read the Supps (will that cause me to loose my national drivers license [img]smile.gif[/img] ), they said it was a non-spectator event, and that we could have 5 counting the driver and entrant.
    I have been considering calling Alabama Region, introducing myself as Sean O'Connell, and asking some questions. That way I can plead ignorance (which is not hard) when we roll up with our normal 32 crew persons, 3 security guys, 4 t-shirt vendors, the team photographer, the left coast PR man, the bus driver, the chef, and the two dogs.

Maybe I can get GT1Vette to call. He knew somebody in that region, that used to know somebody before that somebody took a job in Topeka.

I put in a call to Barry Hair (race chair) to get some answers. Probably won't hear until tomorrow.

[size="1"][ March 10, 2003, 02:21 PM: Message edited by: Purple Frog ][/size]

I have been playing telephone tag with the race chair. But, if I understood his messages correctly, it appears anyone with a valid SCCA membership card should be able to get in. Either as crew, or swearing you are a second shift worker, whatever.

Non-card carrying individuals will be left to their own devices.

What a bummer. Normally I have coaxed enough entry info out of the registrar to have an idea of how big the field will be.

As of now, I know of three CFCs. Ritter, Russell, and Eakin. All Reynards. I have heard of one FC, Sean OConnell. Rumors have it that Russ McBride cannot stand sitting this out just because his V-Dub FA went boom... will he be in a Roberts Racing ride? FM or Tatuus FC? Court Dowis is leaving his FC in Pine Mountain and going to the Gator Nationals (no 103 db ban there). Poma?

Left Coasters, eat your hearts out. No dust, gravel, or sand. Early photos of this place make it appear to be a botanical garden with pavement running through it. FIA legal today. It's amazing what one can do with a little milk money. [img]smile.gif[/img] Hedges planted behind all the guardrails so that the spectators won't have to see bare steel.
    www.Barbermotorsports.com

Lots of track records will be set this weekend. Even more gearboxes will be opened and closed trying to find the right combo for this untested facility. The phones will be ringing monday as all the HSR guys are calling us to find out what gears will work for their big event at the end of the month.

Add another FC to the mix Mr. Frog. I am planning on being there.

Rob Poma

Fantastic Rob! When are you comming and are you racing both days?
    Frog- do you think I should tell non SCCA members not to come? Seems a bit crazy for a place like Barber (AND scca) to turn folks away. Non spectator? Is the track just not complete? Realistically, I would have aprox 10 people come out including a couple kids.
    Anyway, can't wait to get there- with any luck the weather will hold out for us. [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Sean O'Connell
    1996 RF96 FC
    1996 RF96 FB
    2004 Mygale SJ04 Zetec

I should be there late Friday. Only doing the SARRC race. Weather permitting...

Rob

Liked: 202

The "problem" with non-members is that it's officially a non-spectator event for insurance purposes. That makes the insurance cost per car $4 cheaper and, because this is their first ever event, Alabama Region is squeezing every nickle until the buffalo - well, you know.

As you suggest, this makes it very difficult to "sell" the SCCA to the general public (which is why all Atlanta Region events are spectator events). Since each entry gets five passes, whether member or non-member, the best bet is to find 4-5 guys with room on their crew lists for the people you want to bring along (they will not be allowed in hot areas). Only downside is additional paperwork, plus convincing your buds to put people they don't know on their crew lists (since the driver is responsible for the conduct of the crew).

Alabama Region will learn a lot from this event. Besides changing the pricing structure for next time, hopefully they'll also see the wisdom of spending the extra $4/car to make it a spectator event.
    Butch Kummer
    2006, 2007, 2010 SARRC GTA Champion

Hey Frog,
    I'm planning on running the test day, so I should be there first thing Friday morning. Any ideas on where I should park the mobile home?
    CN

Liked: 553

CN, Check this. It may help you decide where to park.

http://www.barbermotorsports.com/Bar...rtsParkMap.pdf
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Chuck,

It must be nice to have an engine that lasts more than 10 hours...You can freely test a lot.

I bet you will find that you will park where they tell you. [img]smile.gif[/img] From the quality looks of the facility I'm guessing they have a plan, and probably somebody assigned to explain it to you.

The canopy on Court's trailer comes out 16'. I just need a 10' strip outside the drip line of the canopy. My truck and trailer are not as long as Court's canopy. [img]smile.gif[/img] If they won't let you reserve it, don't fight with them and get ejected. We'll still give you points for trying.

Thanks.

Sean and others who may need special guest passes:

Contact Chuck Butler @ 205-243-3873

Thanks Mike
    Sean O'Connell
    1996 RF96 FC
    1996 RF96 FB
    2004 Mygale SJ04 Zetec

So that's what armmco feels like! Due to a left front brake bleeder that decided to loosen itself at a bad time (corner entrance) my weekend was dramatically shortened. Very nice track though. Not much grip on that new asphalt.
    Anybody have a '84 Reynard nose they'll let go cheap? If not I want to borrow one to make a mold.
    On a more positive not my newly rebuilt engine (thanks Neil!) ran very strong. Pulled as strong as my previously not-quite-legal engine.

You wrecked my baby? What happened? Send me an "e"

Thread Information