Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Liked: 0

I plan to be there late friday. Please hold a spot for Dowis Motorsports and yes I might even have some crew this time. How many CFC and how many FC are registred at this time?

Seeya, Court

Liked: 3787

CFC = 5 solid, maybe 6
    GR, Hatheway, Montfort, Eakin, Russell, Ritter ?
    FC = 4
    Cecil, Poma, Dowis, Belay

Maybe the FCs need to ask for a split start. We don't want all the CFCs streaming past Dowis in T1 when he forgets that he is not in a CFC. [img]smile.gif[/img]

The FC race is shaping up to be a great one. My guess is that Cecil, Belay, and Poma will be very even.

[size="1"][ February 21, 2003, 09:05 AM: Message edited by: Purple Frog ][/size]

GT1
    Who are the drivers in FV ?
    Joe
    FV01

GT1Vette got the flu as a birthday present. I doubt he'll be responding in the near future.

Weather.com forecast for Road Atlanta...

March 1 Rain 60%
    March 2 Rain 60%

Liked: 553

A bit off topic, but here are some interesting Road Atlanta related items I came across recently:

http://forum.rallyfreak.com/zerothread?id=2390

http://venus.13x.com/roadracingworld...sp?insert=5280
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Those 10 day forecasts haven't been very accurate lately, at least not for Mark and I. We got pretty soaked at the TGPR test day yesterday, 20% chance of precipitation.

Here's what I saw this morning:

Source: http://www.weather.com/weather/svrtenday/USGA0230

Fri Feb 28 Showers 56°/34° 30 %
    Sat Mar 01 Partly Cloudy 53°/32° 0 %
    Sun Mar 02 Partly Cloudy 55°/37° 0 %

So, maybe the weekend will be better than expected. I sure hope so.

Speaking of the test day. Mark provided some genuine entertainment. I saw the biggest splashes of water I've ever seen created by a formula car taking unintended shortcuts on the race track.
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Hmmm..Road Atlanta weather in March. Does anybody remember last March? In the 30's, torrential rain...Of course that will probably only happen on Saturday because that's the day I'll be visiting.

Doug Jewett

Well everything went well with the motor (it actually runs!). However considering that Barber is only 2 weeks after RA and I still have a bit to do, and that I'll be out of town until Wed. night I'm bowing out of RA to concentrate on Barber in mid March. BTW how can I get an annual inspection before the event. I don't want to show up with the car uninspected.
    Any time you solve one problem you invariably create another. Hopefully this one is easier to live with.

Good Day! Well sort of........

After a successful trip to Sebring (points wise) Hard Rock will not be making it to RA this weekend (If we want to have a fit car for the Dbl SARRC in March at Moroso). Have a bit of body, nose and radiator work to tackle.

First time on the Sebring Club Course......... and it was actually a little more interesting than I thought it was going to be. The 30 minute race turned out to be 25 laps, which was pretty cool. I actually enjoyed the # of laps....... although near the end I WAS looking for that checkered flag.

The weather was pretty good. Saturday was probably in the high 70's - low 80's with a TON of wind. We ended up having to take down our canopy to keep it in Highlands County. That made for a bit of a warmer day with all the work done in the sun, but we survived. Saturday night a front came through with a bit of rain, not what we were expecting, and the winds we heard were coming (gusts to 60mph) didn't really show up. Whew!! We had packed one car away and moved the other two in between the haulers for some protection overnight.

Practice went very well for Hard Rock, and qualifying also went better than expected with Hard Rock able to qualify 11th overall, 2+ seconds in front of the CFC of Mark Montgomery.

Sunday was great weather, 50's in the morning, up into the 70's most of the day, clear skies and very little wind.

The field for the Saturday race had a field of 26 cars; FA-6, FC-6, CFC-2, FM-4, FF-3, CF-2, CSR-2, S2000-1. The CFC's managed to get into each other in T2 on the second lap of this race , and there are always two sides to a story. The impact was hard enough to set off the on-board extinguisher Ooooooo that's nasty stuff to sit in for a full race!!!!

Hard Rock was able to continue and finished just outside of the top 10 in 11th overall, but Mark Montgomery ended up high sided on the outside gator teeth, and had to be pulled off by the flat tow and workers during a full course caution that came out for that, and other, incidents around track. The last 4 laps and the race finished under full course yellow behind the pace car.

GR went over to talk w/Mark after the race and the drivers were able to sort things out between them with no hard feelings left behind. Both also walked away with a bit more competitor education under their belts. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Sunday's field was a bit smaller after Saturday track incidents knocked out a few competitors, and a couple also chose not to run for SARRC points. 21 starters; FA-4, FC-5, CFC-2, FM-3, FF-3, CF-2, CSR-1, S2000-1.

Hard Rock discovered a huge crack [img]graemlins/skull.gif[/img] in the left front rotor as the car was being pushed to the grid for the SARRC event, but the 10/TENTHS Motorsports crew quickly jumped on it and replaced both front rotors in less than 8 minutes. We got to the grid with plenty of time to spare. BIG high 5 to the 10/TENTHS boys!!!!

In this race the CFC of Montgomery was seen blowing through the middle of the two lines of starters before the green flag came out and he easily improved his position by several rows. This trip to the front was short lived however, as he locked up and spun off to drivers left in the first turn. GR didn't look back and collected his second CFC win for the weekend and finishing in 10th overall.

Although I will miss the CFC contingent this weekend, I am planning on the Dbl SARRC at Roebling in April!!

Now, got to get on the phone. Let's see Averill Racing Products, radiator shop, fiberglass and paint supplies, fire bottle recharge .......
    Peace
    HardRock Motorsport

Liked: 202

GR,

Sorry about your "encounters" at Sebring. I'll have a beer in your honor.

Joe,

Vee's are you, Bill McCaw, John Sepesy, Dave Blevins, Anthony Henderson, Shannon Jones and Michael Shumacher.

OK, maybe NOT Michael Schumacher...
    Butch Kummer
    2006, 2007, 2010 SARRC GTA Champion

OK sportsfans!

It's time to start the annual rolling circus parade known as SEDIV CFC.

Wait, wait. What do I see here on the SEDIV site? It appears that they leave the Sun turned on all winter down in Northern Cuba and Mr. Hardrockrat, none other than Glennon Reidler already has 36 points!!! Considering that the max one can carry into the year ending shootout is 72 points, GR is definitely way out in front. Especially considering none of the racers north of I-4 have even chipped the ice off their racecars yet. Eakin has zero, as does Hatheway, Montfort, Ritter, Russell, LeClair. Rich LaTera has 9 points, and Montgomery has 18.

But all that should change by this time next week. There is racing to be done in Hotlanta this weekend. The season really starts with this race. [img]smile.gif[/img] And for once the weather forecast looks good.

Who's running, and where have they been the last few months.

Mark Hatheway and the team Supertech launched into a big time rebuild of their '84 Reynard after the SIC last October. Stem to stern rebuilding, including a new motor and gearbox. It seems to all be in order after the test day at TGPR last week, so Team Supertech is ready to start the new year at their home track.

Michael Montfort has been busy starting a new airline, but did find time to make all the repairs to his flying (and hard landing) Reynard. He's ready to come shake off the cobwebs and get back with the program.

Rob Russell has heard so much about the CFC party, he just had to get in. He bought himself a car, and he'll be hauling over from Birmingham to take part in his first SARRC CFC race.

Mike Eakin spent the off season overhauling the complete Purple Frog Racing infrastructure. After sitting through two days of ICP training, he went back and went through his Reynard's suspension. He also refreshed his tired motor that had managed somehow to do 20+ races. He remembers a sunny March day back in 1999 when he won this event, and is hoping to repeat that result and get started towards chasing GR down in the points race.

The FC race, although not watched with as much worldwide attention as the CFC race is also shaping up to be a good one.

Jim Belay always puts together a fine program. He knows his way around Atlanta, and has to be considered a strong contender. He will be ready in his Petty blue VD.

Chuck Cecil just completed a complete overhaul of his '96 VD. A chassis-up rebuild, with everything being replaced or repainted. Chuck is fast. Now the car is completely fresh to start the season. He always has to be considered a strong contender. Look for the pink wings to be brighter than ever.

Rob Poma also completed the ICP training off season. He got faster and faster last season in his VD. He easily could be on the top step Sunday.

Court Dowis has retired from the CFC party and joined the FC wars with a '96 VD. He likes Road Atlanta, and has the racing skills that he acquired from racing bathtubs in college. How competitive the 2000 SARRC CFC champion can be in his first SARRC outing in this (new to him) car is the only unknown. We expect he will get faster and faster all weekend.

Stay tuned sportsfans as the real racing season begins in the South East Division this weekend at Road Atlanta. Hills and thrills.

Just stay tuned to f2000.com for the best CFC racing coverage in the world.

Originally posted by Purple Frog:
    Mark Hatheway and the team Supertech launched into a big time rebuild of their '84 Reynard after the SIC last October. Stem to stern rebuilding, including a new motor and gearbox. It seems to all be in order after the test day at TGPR last week, so Team Supertech is ready to start the new year at their home track.
    Well, not exactly. According to Mark in a recent phone call, the engine didn't sound right in the last session of the test day. Yesterday they took it out, took it apart, and are in the process of replacing rod bearings. Mark is still planning to race this weekend, and also do the Friday test day before hand.

On a positive note, before the problems, Mark remarked* that the engine felt very good, so he's expecting his car to handle better down Road Atlanta's back straight.

Russ

* Mark remarked? Is that like Frog refrogging?
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

LOL!!
    Peace
    HardRock Motorsport

Liked: 1

AHHHH.It looks like a few drivers are planing on passing -over RA?
    No one has talked about Richard? Will he show up and spoil us with a 1:30?
    There is a chance we will still be there with a car but it will be a last hour deal>
    Tested at TGP with with a Pro guy {Tomis K.}? He had a '03 Z-TECH and did a bunch of 1.03's in the wet, we did a few 1.13's under water. This guy is fast.
    The engine pulled up lame in the last session, rod bearing needed more oil!
    So now were tryn ta get it all together baby for the big show @ RA.

Se Yall Mark H
    SuperTech Engineering inc.
    Mark Hatheway

Hey Frog, check again, Montfort has 9 points also.

You tell 'em bubba!

SOME people come down to our neck of the woods to race
    Peace
    HardRock Motorsport

Will anyone have a tire durometer with them at Rd Atl? I'd like to try and tell which of my older tires are the best, and which ones should be dismounted and tossed.

Anyone have an opinion about using a durometer to tell the condition of old tires? Will a durometer tell me more than sticking my thumbnail in the rubber? Longacre sells 'em for around $60. I'm considering a purchase.

TIA.

Russ
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Our buddy Montfort usually has one at the track.

Sometimes I see him trying it out on people too
    Peace
    HardRock Motorsport

I usually use the durometer on my wife to decide if I should tell her about the latest racing related purchase. Anything over a 50 and I keep quiet!
    Looks like you guys are going to have some great weather this weekend. Wish I could be there but still got a bit to do and 2 races in 2 weeks might cause the afore mentiioned durometer to read "off scale".
    Good luck to all and see ya'll in 'Bama.
    Any time you solve one problem you invariably create another. Hopefully this one is easier to live with.

A durometer used from the first heat cycle, will tell you when your tires are getting close to falling off.

Each compound and even each tire is different due the amount of heat, so you will have to use one set of your tires as the test. After using one for the first set of tires, use the last reading before the tires gave up on you to know it is time for a new set from then on.

Bill Vogeley
    10/Tenths Motorsport, Inc.

Thanks, Bill. That's interesting, and sounds like good advive, worth $60 and the effort to keep track of it.

My more immediate problem is that I have 4 sets of old mounted tires and I'm just trying to figure out which ones to run this weekend and which ones to discard. I've also got some unmounted used tires and I hoped a durometer might help me decide if they were worth mounting. I've got one brand new unmounted rear tire, but it's very special to me and I'm saving it for a special occasion. .

I may use a Road Atlanta half test day to try some of the tires to see how they feel. I sure like the option of running a half test day.

BTW, weather reports are sounding decent for the weekend. Highs between 55 - 60 and almost no chance of rain.

Russ
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

No motor and no money so I'm gonna miss this one. I wish I could make it. See you guys soon.

Justin

Not sure that Mr. Smith should drive down from Charlotte for the party, but I hope we see Mr. Ritter wandering around the paddock.

Obviously I need to give Russ my seminar on perfectly good used tires. [img]smile.gif[/img]

We are rolling north out of the swamp in a couple of minutes. Damn nice to be starting another season.

Contributing Member

It looks like I'm going to make it this weekend. Please save a spot for me in the CFC paddock. I should get there late Friday night.
    Thanks,
    Rob

Liked: 5

NOT GOING TO MAKE IT THIS WEEKEND. HAVE FUN GUYS.
    HAVE GOT WATER IN FUEL SYSTEM OF MY TOTER .GOING TO HAVE TO REMOVE AND CLEAN ENTIRE SYSTEM.
    Asphalt is for Racing Grass is for Passing
    CEC Racing RF96 #97
    Chuck Cecil

Chuck:

With all this rain your lucky the darn thing wasn't under water

Quickie update after Friday Qual:

Purple Frog on pole
    Rob Russell second (quite a ways back, first time at Rd Atl/rain/new car/so so tires/etc)
    Montfort chose not to go out (no rain tires)
    No other CFC runners
    Hatheway had more engine problems Fri test day

Qualifying was pretty wet (steady drizzle all day long), very slippery. Lap times 2 min +. Lots of spins. FS car hit a wall and DNS. My car had a small fire Friday afternoon, then major engine problems in Sat qual. With my DNS, Purple Frog is on overall pole, ahead of all FM, FC, sports racers, etc. (nice job).

Court's car looks good. Court went out for qual in the rain on stickers. Didn't work out. Rob Poma is running well, but I think he skipped wet qual (but I could be wrong).

I'll be interested to hear how the dry race plays out (assuming Sunday weather is better).

(PS. I forgot to pick up my Pi beacon at start finish, in case anyone still at the track reads this. It says "#1 FA" on it. TIA).
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Frog ROCKS!!!!!
    Peace
    HardRock Motorsport

Well.........................?

I second that!

Topper
    Dallara F394 F3
    Swift SE-3 FC sold

Liked: 202

I told the Frog I'd let him address this issue, but I see that inquiring minds want to know.

See post under "Event Results":
    Butch Kummer
    2006, 2007, 2010 SARRC GTA Champion

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information