Liked: 0

Default Throttle Springs

I am hearing about the return springs on the throttle body breaking. I have looked at a car and seen one of the two springs rubbed half way through by the other spring. Take a look at your cars and see if this is happening to you. Anyone have an idea why this is happening or what will fix it? The springs are not available from Ford or Mazda. I can have them made if necessary. Jerry

Liked: 1

Hey Jerry,

I"m at MSR houston this weekend, in fact one of my springs broke today. This is the second time for my springs (each one now has broke). I've just shortened them, but next time I'm done. What is the fix? -darius

Liked: 59

Jerry,
    Several guys out here have had them break - fortunately not me (I just don't use the throttle much....). It would be nice to have a spare that can be installed without taking the throttle body apart - I haven't looked at it since last weekend, but it didn't seem apparent how you'd do that.

Best regards,
    Eric
    If you don't think too good, don't think too much.
    - Ted Williams

Senior Member Bruce Allen FSCCA #82's Avatar
    Liked: 3

With pain and scraped knuckles it is possible to rip a broken spring off and thread a new one on. The assembly does not come apart.
    Bruce, the "Greased Shadow"

Liked: 218

All three cars in my shop right now have worn throttle springs. Not sure how to solve that one.
    Competition One Racing
    racer6@mchsi.com

Contributing Member Lee Shumosic's Avatar

Default Photo?

Can someone post a picture of the area that's worn?

If it can't be easily serviced I'm not sure making replacements is the way to go. CAn we design a more traditional set up?

Thx

Lee
    LJS Motorsports

Liked: 1

Any update on the best way to replace the springs? I have a set of new ones, but is Bruce's method the best? If so, do you do them one at a time? If not, anyone figured out a better way to replace them? Thanks-darius

Liked: 16

We just replaced them on the car at the Runoffs. Do one at a time, carefully threading them around and around. (Might say a few bad words when doing this, keep the kids away....)
    Mick Robinson

Liked: 68

Quote Originally Posted by dmiller View Post
    If not, anyone figured out a better way to replace them? Thanks-darius
    Replacing the whole throttle body is MUCH faster and easier. We put a new one on my car this morning after I cracked the throttle body from the throttle stop into the bore. The only real issue is calibrating the TPS, but a CSR can do it in a few minutes.
    Marshall Mauney

Milwaukee Region

You can carefully grind down the pressed flange (or whatever you call it) so it's even with the rest of the barrel, pull off the barrel, drill and tap the shaft and you can then easily replace a broken spring and fasten it back with a washer and button head screw.

Thread Information