Thread: Brake Calipers

Liked: 0

Default Brake Calipers

After reading through the brake caliper thread over in the FC area, I have a question on one of our rules and the reasoning behind it. Here is the section:

H.10. Brakes

Unrestricted, except:
    A. All pistons in a given caliper must be of the same size. Calipers must be ferrous or aluminum alloy.

B. Brake rotors are restricted to ferrous material.

The FC rules just require Ferrous calipers as far as I can see. The FF rules require cast iron calipers. FB has more flexibility on material, but why the requirement for same size pistons

Thanks.
    Ken

Liked: 713

That's something the CRB talked us into and, personally, I didn't take enough time to research the issue (can't speak for other members of the rules committee.)
    In researching the various caliper offerings lately to upgrade my FB, I've found that it's a non-issue, other than potentially needing to have 4 different calipers. However, if I upgrade my car, I have to buy 4 calipers anyway.
    Mike Beauchamp
    RF95 Prototype 2

Get your FIA rain lights here:
    www.gyrodynamics.net/product/cartek-fia-rain-light/

Liked: 126

The same size piston requirement came from Dave Gomberg, not us in the rules committee.

I believe the reasoning was to keep costs down.

We had nothing to do with it.

Liked: 0

Thanks for the insight. Now the question is.... does it keep costs down or essentially define a couple few calipers that we must use?

Thanks.
    Ken

Liked: 151

You can get by with just one spare caliper, so that is a cost savings.

The equal diameter rule will keep out the F3 style brakes, until someone shows up with F3 style calipers with equal diameters.

But, if the class is for converted cars, this rule is encouraging everyone who bought an FC and converted it to spend more to have competitive brakes.

Thread Information