Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Liked: 553

More details about the race weekend will follow, but I need to share this overwhelming thought first:

I had a great time at the ARRC, but one thing I kept thinking all weekend: Why aren't there more cars here representing CFC (and CF, CS2000, etc.). Turnout
    was a big disappointment.

I know that it can be very difficult to get your car to an event at the end of a long racing season, and it's a long haul for some, but geez, guys, this is
    the (unofficial) national championship! Complete with victory laps, victory lane interviews (great job, GT1Vette!), podium celebrations & photos, "Miss ARRC", and even the opportunity to SPRAY CHAMPAGNE!!! Not to mention extremely good contingency prizes.

It was a real shame that there wasn't a larger turnout. I know there are many cars around the southeast and U.S. that are a
    better representation of the class. Heck, I've seen more and better cars turn out for regular regional races.

I know many of you have non-running cars at the
    moment. You're excused for not coming to the ARRC in 2002, but you need to plan on being there in 2003, okay?

Let's try to talk this event up during the next year. If we get people thinking about it early, there will be a better chance that we get a better field of cars.

We had great weather, BTW. 65 - 70 degrees and clear.

Russ
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Liked: 0

I had my driver entered (Brad Jaeger). Unfortunately he came down with mono and Mom put her foot down (something about missed too much school already, exam week, yada yada yada). But seriously we had trailer loaded and ready to leave Wednesday morning to test and run weekend (CS2). My driver was really looking forward to it, but no go.

My apologies.
    Chris Knosp (ckr)

Liked: 56

PRESS RELEASE

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Braselton, GA

November 10, 2002

RICHARD MATTHEWS FIGHTS FOR SECOND

2002 SCCA South Atlantic Road Racing and Southeast Invitational Club Formula Continental Champion Richard Matthews drove brilliantly to come home in second place in this year’s American Road Race of Champions. Matthews started second overall and first in class after beating the class track record in qualifying. He held the early lead but faded when he lost his brakes on the first lap. Eventual class winner Brian Burke of Rochester Hills, MI passed Richard while he was trying to adapt to a car without brakes. Richard quickly learned to use the gearbox and tire scrub to slow the car and re-took the class lead. He got down to 1:33 lap times, quicker than all other class qualifiers, without any brakes! Eventually the strain on the gearbox became too much and it blew on the second last lap, leaving Brian Burke to a well-earned and deserved victory. Richard brought the car home and coasted to a stop just after the finish line.

In an interview after the race Matthews said: “I had two goals for the weekend. One was to break the class lap record held by Keith Roberts. The other was, of course, to win the ARRC. My qualifying time of 1:29.5 easily beat Roberts 1:30.2 and I should have been the one to beat in CFC. I had an agreement with my crew that once I got into the 29’s in qualifying I would back off and come in to the pits. Unfortunately the radio was not working well so I did not hear that I did a 29 and I crashed on the very next lap. The car was badly damaged and making the race was doubtful. My crew and I worked most of the night as well as race day rebuilding the car. Countless competitors and workers came by to offer their help or moral support. Without them I would not have made the race. I asked SCCA for one hardship lap to test the brakes, as I had to replace all three master cylinders as well as some brake line. They were too busy to be bothered and said no and then I lost my brakes on lap one. It was a tough race and a real disappointment, although I do want to congratulate Brian on his win. He and his crew went out of their way to help us get back on the track.”

Besides being the 2002 SARRC and SIC champion, Matthews also set lap records at Roebling Road and Carolina Motorsports Park in his first year of open wheel competition. Previously he races IT-7 for two years. ARRC likely marks the end of Richards SCCA Club Racing career. He is looking at options for turning professional next year.

Concludes Matthews: “This has really been a dream year. I have really learned a lot and grown tremendously as a driver. Special thanks have to go first to my parents. They have supported me 100% and made all this possible. I’d also like to thank my girlfriend Maggie as well as Andy Brumbaugh, my driver coach and engineer. Everyone has put a lot into this season and I will never forget it.”
    Kevin
    Crossle 35F
    Van Diemen RF02

Liked: 202

Quick post because I need to catch up here at work after working corners (Ten) on Friday, then doing Winner's Circle interviews on Saturday:

The Frog should be kicking himself for not making the trip. Granted Richard Matthews dusted the CFC field in qualifying (as expected), but lost it coming out of Seven going for a 1:28 lap and bent up a LOT of parts. When I saw them early Friday evening they had the RF corner on a creeper as they were pushing it over to the welder's to effect repairs. They did not make the warm-up Saturday morning and I was surprised to see them on grid for the race.

(Richard - who did you ask about the hardship lap? And when? I don't know that it would have made any difference, but I wish you'd have come talk to me about it.)

Although the posted results have Russ McBride finishing 21 laps, that's not so (he ran the prescribed 20). Russ ran fast enough to win and slow enough to keep it exciting. He cooled the tires at times during the race, then would string together 2-3 laps under 1:30 while trying for the FS track record. I don't know what the record is, but he says he didn't get it. Scott Woodruff was on two-year old tires, spun three different times and still managed to finish on the lead lap, second in FS.

Brian Burke towed all the way from Rochester, MI, ran very consistent 1:35's and was in the right place when Richard's transmission failed (the rear cover came off, also taking the rear wing with it, by the way). Harvey Schmidt brought his Crossle 68F from Crittenden, KY, and outlasted Mark Ritter and Neil Pozzi to take third in CFC.

The real battle was Club Ford. Steve Brooks maintained a two second lead over a barn burner of a struggle between Steve Robertson, Frank Hammette, Jack Velden and the CS2 Royale of Norman Scott. The latter four traded positions almost every lap, then on the very last lap Robertson cleared that group and got by Brooks as well for the CF win. John Nelson soldiered to second in CS2 and got to spray champagne on the podium with Miss ARRC, Ashley Murray (and yes, you DID want to have champagne with her!).

Numbers were up from last year, so FS, CFC, CF and CS2 will be included in the program next year as well. As Russ said, it's really a pretty neat event for the non-National classes with a Runoffs-type atmosphere (for example, ALL the IT classes were still under protest Saturday evening). Go ahead and put it on your calendars for next year - Nov. 7-9, 2003.

[size="1"][ November 11, 2002, 02:55 PM: Message edited by: GT1Vette ][/size]
    Butch Kummer
    2006, 2007, 2010 SARRC GTA Champion

Liked: 0

WOW!! What a story!!

Great racing, free alcohol AND girls! NOW I know I missed something special

I have learned so much this season, but the one item that stands out most of all is.......You just never know!!!.....and then that of course leads to...........what if????

New motto... Don't go?....Won't know!

I have marked my calendar for next year. Let's see what the 2003 season brings

Peace
    Peace
    HardRock Motorsport

A few quick comments:

Yep, there was plenty of free beer, food and entertainment.

Mark Ritter ran most of the race with three spark plug wires attached and that's why his race lap times were slow. Judging by his qualifying time, he had a pretty good chance of finishing on the podium. I got the impression that he was encouraged by the high points of the weekend. One of his low points was when his battery exploded in the paddock while it was charging, but he was able to drive down the street and get a new one.

I got the FS record just by finishing the race. Last year, the first for FS, Scott started but had engine problems, so there was no FS lap record, as far as I know. During this year's race, I was hoping to match my qualifying time during the race, but couldn't.

I had way more fun than I deserved. I won mainly because my car has been very reliable all summer, allowing me to get very comfortable with it and improve each time I drive it. Conversely, Scott has had a tough time keeping a reliable powerplant in the car. I think the 2002 ARRC was the first time he has driven his car since 2001, so he did pretty well considering everything.
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

I have some digital pictures of some CFC cars at the ARRC. Is there a way to post them here?
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Liked: 1

This was a very good race,good weather,fast cars
    and Dr. Jerry Paunch aka. GT-1 VETT in park formet.
    Russ had the line in FS and overall, at least from my view point in T1.Brian B. was rollin off to a huge lead till about lap 8 in CC,when Richard M.came around him for an apparent win in CC. Burke hang close ,#65s rear cover & wing came off an BB came back for the win,Good Job.
    If qualifing is to tell you anything Mark Ritter in his SF-84 Reynard was knocking on the door of a big time SARRC CFC 2003 season.
    Mark H
    SuperTech Engineering inc.
    Mark Hatheway

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information