Thread: Helmet spoiler

Liked: 2

Default Helmet spoiler

Searched for info on the site, and have found little info on an add on device that could be applied to a helmet to keep it from pulling off the top of my head. Driving an FM, and Bell M2 helmet. When I was driving the Skip Barber cars, they had a small plastic wind screen on the front combing of the cockpit, which I drove with and without, and it was a great improvement. I am a little taller in the body, so I guess my head is up in the air more. Found one topic on a unit offered by Apex, and wondering if there are others. TIA

Steve

Liked: 9

I bought the Arai PED kit and it just happened to fit on my HJC. Just a thought.
    Dean
    Wolf GB08
    Austin
    www.motorsports-sw.com

For anyone interested, I found that Bell has a bunch of accessories like Gurney flaps for the chin and the top of the helmet as well as some spoilers. None of it shows up in any sales stuff and a lot of the dealers don't know it exists.

I found Bell had the flaps for about $20 each (chin and crown). Arai wanted $110 for one on the back of the helmet. Zamp had a bunch for $15, but not sure what they look like. Also found there was one mfgr out there that also has flaps that go on each side of the head. Moral of the story- if you are finding your brain bucket wanting to take flight, call the vendor and see what they have or what others have that fit your lid.

Default Yep, just pick up the phone

call the vendor and see what they have or what others have that fit your lid.
    That's what Schumi did. Told Schuberth to go ahead and make him up a new helmet with some special titanium around the visor. Only cost $17,000. Guess we know what he thinks his head is worth.

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/sc...ncia-9661.html

I wonder if he had gotten his physical clearance to race before he placed that order? Oh well, the re-stocking charge should be minimal.
    Ted/FM # 13
    Shoe String Racing
    On a Wing & a Prayer

Default Bell spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by sflaten View Post
    For anyone interested, I found that Bell has a bunch of accessories like Gurney flaps for the chin and the top of the helmet as well as some spoilers. None of it shows up in any sales stuff and a lot of the dealers don't know it exists.

I found Bell had the flaps for about $20 each (chin and crown). Arai wanted $110 for one on the back of the helmet. Zamp had a bunch for $15, but not sure what they look like. Also found there was one mfgr out there that also has flaps that go on each side of the head. Moral of the story- if you are finding your brain bucket wanting to take flight, call the vendor and see what they have or what others have that fit your lid.

How did the spoilers work that you got from us?
    ApexPerformance.net
    Premier Racing Outfitters

Default Results

I found that the Gurney flaps on top of the helmets seemed to work well. Also uses a Gurney chin flap that was added. Due to the location of the bug splatter on teh helmet, it looks like a lot fo the air never got to the chin, which is why I conclude it must be the top flap. A lot less lift, but I still had a little, that might be due to the height of my head and the front of the dash panel. Will be testing putting a little flap on the front of the cockpit to puush the air a litttle higher.

Before the flaps, I would start to get the helmet pulling upward at about 100 mph, and really agressive at 110 on up to 128, then I ran out of track.

After, was at 117-120 at the end of the straight over the weekend and really did not ahve an issue. I can still tell that there was some lift, but the helmet was keeping the eyehole centered instead of riding up and blocking vision or choking me with the chin strap.

Thanks for taking the time to help me find a source for the parts. Wish they had a catalog or brochure on line wo we could see what options are out there, that we did not know even existed.

Steve

Liked: 42

Another thing to look into is a little windscreen on the car.

I was bored one day and was curious as to how noticeable the difference was between the M2 Pro (generic golf ball with zero aero bits) and the T-6 Interceptor (lots of whizzy aero stuff, chin wicker, air guidance and deflection parts etc.

I sat as high as I could in the Van Diemen to get the helmet up in the air as much as possible.

The difference between the two helmets was not that great. Some but nothing extraordinary. The only major difference I found was when I was using my hand creating a mini windscreen on the front cowling of the car. HUGE differences were found by getting just a little less air getting under the helmet.

Contributing Member Bill Kincaid's Avatar
    Liked: 1

Yes, a small windscreen makes a BIG difference, at least on a late model Van Diemen. Found this out in a hurry at Cal Speedway, where we spend a lot of time at 140+. Without it it felt like my helmet was going to get sucked right off my head.

Thread Information