Liked: 111

Default Motorcycle Helmet in formula racing?

I own an Arai R7 Corsair I have used for some time riding motorcycles. I would like to know if it could be used for: Skip barber schools, SCCA formula racing, SCCA driver schools? I know I would have to change the visor for use of tearoffs, but other than that is the helmet acceptable?

thanks

Im new here so be gentle.. .

-Bob

Contributing Member
    Liked: 86

I don't know what the school rules are, but to race in SCCA you need an SA-rated helmet. Your Arai is M rated. The main difference is the SA helmets have a fire resistent liner and chinstrap.
    Matt King
    FV19 Citation XTC-41
    CenDiv-Milwaukee
    KEEP THE KINK!

Contributing Member formulasuper's Avatar
    Liked: 61

Quote Originally Posted by Matt King View Post
    I don't know what the school rules are, but to race in SCCA you need an SA-rated helmet. Your Arai is M rated. The main difference is the SA helmets have a fire resistent liner and chinstrap.
    Also, I have noticed that the eye openning location is different between a lay-back formula car helmet & one for lay-forward sport bikes.
    Scott Woodruff
    83 RT5 Ralt/Scooteria Suzuki Formula S

(former) F440/F5/FF/FC/FA
    65 FFR Cobra Roadster 4.6 DOHC

Liked: 77

For any SCCA racing event, you must have a Snell SA (Special Application) certified helmet (SA2000 or SA2005). Helmets with Snell M certification are not acceptable.

Dave

Default thanks

Thanks for the quick responses.. I guess this has been asked before. So since it will not work, any recommendations for helmets.. performance vs cost.. I haven't made up my mind on class or car yet, but leaning toward FF or FC, DB1-6 or VD.. if this makes any difference.

I also need, if im not mistaken: Suit, gloves, nomex undergarments, baclava, racing shoes, head and neck restaint, tearoffs, ???

-Bob

Liked: 1417

Helmet fit is more important than cost or looks. They all fit different shaped heads differently, so try on a lot of different brands to see which one fits your shape of head the best. Simpsons fit me like I'm wearing an ash tray on my head, and Arai's are like wearing stocking caps. Don't buy one mail order if you don't have to. Find a local shop that has helmets to try on, and buy one there. Your head will thank you.

For me, with helmets, I think that after a certain price point (like $400), you pay for weight. And IMO, buy the lightest you can afford.

H&N restraint is not mandatory with SCCA, but your family might have something to say about it.

Arm restraints ARE mandatory with the SCCA, so add those to your list, too.

Liked: 4

Call one of the Fourmn advertisers, like Averill Racing Stuff, they can give you good insight on gear needed.
    AMBROSE BULDO - Abuldo at AOL.com
    CURRENT: Mid Life Crisis Racing Chump/Lemons Sometime Driver (Dodge Neon)
    CURRENT: iKart Evo Rotax 125 Kart
    GONE: CITATION 87/93 FC - Loved that car
    GONE: VD RF-85FF , 1981 FIAT Spider Turbo

Liked: 0

Heli-
    Since you already own an Aria motorcycle helmet I will assume that you understand the value of purchasing a well made helmet. How do you like the Aria R7? If you like it, I would consider one of their race helmets- expensive but well worth the money.

Liked: 159

Default How to proceed

If you are near Limerock you can try on helmets at Driving Impressions when they are open

If you plan to be at the Glen for the fun-one (Sept 12/13) then there usually is a great vendor at the tech shed with lots of gear on sale. I can put you on a crew list (if mine is not full) so that you can get in to the event. It is a great weekend of SCCA racing and there should be a decent array of FC FF FV F500 CF cars to look at and sit in etc...

Another option might be the race in Jersey in 8 days time. I think there shop has safety gear. maybe a call to the track to find out. Same story as the Glen race, there should be cars to drool on

Liked: 68

Quote Originally Posted by jattus View Post
    Heli-
    Since you already own an Aria motorcycle helmet I will assume that you understand the value of purchasing a well made helmet. How do you like the Aria R7? If you like it, I would consider one of their race helmets- expensive but well worth the money.
    You might want to ask some owners of various brands. Speaking only for myself, i currently have an Arai helmet; though I like the fit, I will not buy another Arai due to premature degradation of the liner material. I have had far better results with other brands.
    Marshall Mauney

Milwaukee Region

Banned
    Liked: 1116

What Doug said.

Before someone pipes in with the $300 helmet for a $300 head, comment. This is one area where more money definitely does NOT automatically buy you better quality.

The Head and Neck restraint topic has been beat to death here numerous times. Rather than rehash all that again---use the search function when you have a few hours to read Educate yourself.

Suit, gloves, shoes, etc....you don't save money by buying things twice. If you are going to be doing this awhile and don't see your size changing much either way in the next 10 years--invest in a top quality suit. Gloves and shoes are higher wear items and things where feel and protection are both important. Try stuff on.

Please, as a former brick and mortar safety equipment dealer, buy locally. Don't go to somebody's shop pick their brain, try on their stuff and then order it on-line to save a few bucks.

Welcome to the forum.

Default Shops

I'm headed to Pocono this weekend, is there any dealers there where I can look for Helmets etc.. I'm not real happy with the quality of my Arai and it's wear over the past few years. I have some other helmets, and they were less expensive and lasted better. Go figure. Just looking for good price, performance etc.. My Father always wore Bell when he raced FV.

Regarding the Head and Neck, I have been racing MX for some time and I wear the Leatte Neck brace, top of the line neck protection. I wouldn't think of racing without some type of HANS device.

-Bob

Contributing Member Ken Lawrence's Avatar
    Liked: 53

I had a pair of Simpson RX's that I used in my EuroSwift FC for years and was very happy with. I switched to a RF2000 VD this year and the lift on the helmet was really bad, I changed to a Bell GTX and have no problem now.

Liked: 4

Quote Originally Posted by helipilot04 View Post
    I'm headed to Pocono this weekend, is there any dealers there where I can look for Helmets etc.. I'm not real happy with the quality of my Arai and it's wear over the past few years. I have some other helmets, and they were less expensive and lasted better. Go figure. Just looking for good price, performance etc.. My Father always wore Bell when he raced FV.

Regarding the Head and Neck, I have been racing MX for some time and I wear the Leatte Neck brace, top of the line neck protection. I wouldn't think of racing without some type of HANS device.

-Bob
    Pocono, does not have a track a shop on site, like allot of tracks do. Only vendors you may find are those doing business out of a trailer. I don't know who would be there.
    AMBROSE BULDO - Abuldo at AOL.com
    CURRENT: Mid Life Crisis Racing Chump/Lemons Sometime Driver (Dodge Neon)
    CURRENT: iKart Evo Rotax 125 Kart
    GONE: CITATION 87/93 FC - Loved that car
    GONE: VD RF-85FF , 1981 FIAT Spider Turbo

Classifieds Super License Charles Warner's Avatar
    Liked: 416

Quote Originally Posted by helipilot04 View Post
    I also need, if im not mistaken: Suit, gloves, nomex undergarments, baclava, racing shoes, head and neck restaint, tearoffs, ???
    And a copy of the current GCR.
    Charlie Warner
    fatto gatto racing

'Cause there's bugger-all down here on earth!

Contributing Member formulasuper's Avatar
    Liked: 61

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Warner View Post
    And a copy of the current GCR.
    Available on-line here: http://scca.org/contentpage.aspx?content=44
    Scott Woodruff
    83 RT5 Ralt/Scooteria Suzuki Formula S

(former) F440/F5/FF/FC/FA
    65 FFR Cobra Roadster 4.6 DOHC

Liked: 1

Doug is correct..fit can be critical.
    I cannot wear Bell helmets as my head is longer and Bell tends to be rounder. i went with Simpson and I am pleased with the fit and quality.
    Arai in motorcycle helmets makes different models in different shapes so I am not sure what head shape your Arai was built for.

You are smart to try them on. Sizing can be slightly different as well. I wear a smaller size in the Simpson then I did with my MC helmet from KBC.

Tod

Liked: 1417

Something else I would suggest when you try on helmets, is two things—

One, make sure your hair length is where you normally wear it. Sounds stupid, but if you normally keep your hair length pretty tight, and when you are trying on lids while you are in need of a trim, it will fit differently. More important if you prefer really short hair, as little differences in length mean more.

Two, buy your balaclava first and before anything else, and carry it with you if you are going to try on different brands at different shops. They are all different thicknesses and fits, and it will make a difference in your helmet sizing. It's also a bit more sanitary when swapping many different helmets on trying to find the perfect one.

Remember, your head will swell slightly in the heat of the summer, so if you are in between sizes, err to the larger size. I have made this mistake before thinking that a tighter helmet would be safer, but that thought quickly goes away when your helmet is squeezing your head in July, and the resulting migraine makes it impossible to wear.

I would also recommend that when you buy the helmet that fits you best, its also a good time to spring for that FOG FREE visor and a good sized package of tear offs to keep it safe and clean. Plan those things into your budget, as they will eventually be needed, and it's best to not find out after it's too late.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 8

Default Hair?

Hair? What's that?

You don't need a balaclava unless you have facial hair.
    You probably won't use tear-offs. I have some in my bag, but they're mainly ballast.
    Buy your shoes a tad on the small size, as footroom in a formula car is sparse and valuable.
    DEFINITELY try on the helmet before you buy! There are huge variations in helmet sizing. My Bell was extremely tight, while my G-Force of the same size is loose.

Larry Oliver
    International Racing Products
    Larry Oliver

Liked: 151

Quote Originally Posted by Larry View Post
    Buy your shoes a tad on the small size, as footroom in a formula car is sparse and valuable.
    This is a good reason to wait to buy shoes until you buy a car. I had to return one pair of shoes because they would not fit into the car I ended up buying.

I finally had to stuff my size 14 feet into size 11 shoes. It was about as much fun as it sounds like.

Liked: 709

You don't need a balaclava unless you have facial hair.
    Yes, you do. Ask Chris Waterman about not wearing one when the fuel in his cockpit caught on fire at the June Sprints.

You probably won't use tear-offs. I have some in my bag, but they're mainly ballast.
    Tear-offs go a long way to extending the life of your shield. Even if I don't tear them off, I always go out with at least two to reduce the sandblasting that the shield takes over time.
    Mike Beauchamp
    RF95 Prototype 2

Get your FIA rain lights here:
    www.gyrodynamics.net/product/cartek-fia-rain-light/

Classifieds Super License Charles Warner's Avatar
    Liked: 416

While tear-offs might offer a modicum of protection, these goodies will extend the life of your expensive ($125) visor by a very long time.

http://www.racingoptics.com/shop.php?cat=47

They permanently mount to the shield on the outside and, when they get enough scarring to be a detriment to vision you simply peel off the top one and, voila, you have a clear shield. You put tear-offs over them if you are so inclined.

These plus Fog City anti-fog shields are all you need.
    Charlie Warner
    fatto gatto racing

'Cause there's bugger-all down here on earth!

Thread Information