Contributing Member
    Liked: 102

Default Photos from the LRP National

Here's a few that I got. Only including Formula cars.

Liked: 1

Default White/Green Atlantic

Do you have a side shot of the #9 Atlantic? It's my car. In the shot you posted, it looks like the rear wing is bending under aero load.

Liked: 126

Looks like the photos of yours and my car are taken at the downhill Paul. Look at my front wing on the left side. It's bending down.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul LeCain View Post
    Do you have a side shot of the #9 Atlantic? It's my car. In the shot you posted, it looks like the rear wing is bending under aero load.
    Paul - yeah, definitely would recommend doing a stress loading of the lower support element. The most common failure mode we see with the stock-style wings is center mount tab delamination inside the wing - usually from a combination of high loading and not enough internal surface area to spread the loads.

It's especially bad on the Atlantics, because the dual upper element is set back and puts one hell of a twisting load on the lower support element.

Cheers,
    Rennie

Default I'll be chatting with the wing maker

I've seen this on other lower elements. I was hoping this (new) one wouldn't do it. It doesn't help that this is a 'club' wing as opposed to a wimpy 'pro' wing.

Lime Rock is also a high-downforce track.

That corner on a good lap has a minimum speed of 132 mph.

Contributing Member

Hi Paul - If you take a look at www.mattromanowski.smugmug.com, you'll see all the shots I have from you group. There are a couple more of you.

Rob - The shots were taken either into big bend or mid to late west bend. I was outside the track, under the pines, behind the new "West Bend Chicane."

Contributing Member

Close up of the front wing going into Big Bend. Probably around the 3 marker.

Edit: Sorry - I was watching the Sox game and only read wing. Here is another shot with the whole car. Not a great shot, but I think it will show you want you want to see.
    Last edited by romoman; 08.06.09 at 9:15 PM.

Hi Paul,

Are your rear wing endplate bottom edges parallel to the ground with no load? If so, the pictures indicate a significant amount of wing flex. Makes me wonder if my rear wing does something similar............

Very nice looking car, BTW. Are those 13" Hoosier bias ply tires?

Default End plates, tires

The bottom edges of the rear end plates are parallel to the ground at rest, and the trailing edge is within a degree of vertical.

They are indeed Hoosier bias-ply tires (13-inch R25).
    Last edited by Paul LeCain; 08.07.09 at 8:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by romoman View Post
    Close up of the front wing going into Big Bend. Probably around the 3 marker.

Edit: Sorry - I was watching the Sox game and only read wing. Here is another shot with the whole car. Not a great shot, but I think it will show you want you want to see.
    Thanks a lot. Do you mind if I show these to my wing builder?

Contributing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Paul LeCain View Post
    Thanks a lot. Do you mind if I show these to my wing builder?
    No problem.

Thread Information