Liked: 43

Default Log Book Question

I've posted before about my Lola T-440 restoration. I am flying blind to an expent because I bought the car from the guy who bought it from the son of the long time owner, who had passed on to that great paddock in the sky (whew-don't ask me to say that ten times fast!).

There is no log book. What does this mean? Am I SOL as far as racing the car in SCCA? I've been out of this game so long that I'm not sure where to turn for answers. Thank God for this forum.

Any light you can shed on this topic would be appreciated.

Tom
    Lola T-440 HU-99

Contributing Member formulasuper's Avatar
    Liked: 61

Quote Originally Posted by tppj View Post
    I've posted before about my Lola T-440 restoration. I am flying blind to an expent because I bought the car from the guy who bought it from the son of the long time owner, who had passed on to that great paddock in the sky (whew-don't ask me to say that ten times fast!).

There is no log book. What does this mean? Am I SOL as far as racing the car in SCCA? I've been out of this game so long that I'm not sure where to turn for answers. Thank God for this forum.

Any light you can shed on this topic would be appreciated.

Tom
    Lola T-440 HU-99
    Tom, give the SCCA Tech dept in Topeka a call. (Toll Free: 1-800-770-2055). I think as long as it has all the updates required you can get a replacement log book if it has a SCCA number stamped in the roll bar. If not updated to their specs you can race it in vintage as a FF70 CFF.
    Scott Woodruff
    83 RT5 Ralt/Scooteria Suzuki Formula S

(former) F440/F5/FF/FC/FA
    65 FFR Cobra Roadster 4.6 DOHC

Liked: 0

Tom,

Assuming that the original logbook number is still stamped somewhere on the chassis (or main roll hoop) than it is mostly a matter of contacting your region's Tech Chief to get a replacement book. If this is not possible, you may want to try and find out the region that issued the first book and they may have the records of original registration. Information from the son of the long-time - hopefully the original - owner, may be helpful. If these are not possible, then you will have to take the car through the homologation process before a logbook can be issued.

robin

Thanks to both of you. It's nice to see a sliver of light at the end of the tunnel.

BTW, Scott, I didn't get to the 40th (Iknow-my loss!). Is the #40 yellow your restored T-440?

Tom

Thanks to both of you. It's nice to see a sliver of light at the end of the tunnel.

BTW, Scott, I didn't get to the 40th (Iknow-my loss!). Is the #40 yellow your restored T-440?

Tom
    Tom, it was up until Friday. Now it belongs to a racer in upstate NY & will be based at the Monticello Motor Club which is a half private race track. Hated to sell it after finding out how good of a car it is on track, but with 2 formula cars & a Cobra in my 2 car garage there just isn't much room to work.
    Scott Woodruff

Liked: 0

Default depending on how long i storage...

Depending upon how long it has been off a race track and in a garage and since it doesn't have a log book now, it may need an update for the front roll hoop to satisfy the homologation requirements to race in current SCCA Club Ford or Formula Ford classes.

Older cars sometimes do not have a front roll hoop that is 1-3/8" min. dia tube. That is the main problem with long-dormant vehicles.

Like one of the earlier posts indicates, try to find the prior logbook number that was (should have been) stamped somewhere on (or near) the main hoop. the format is usually 3 numbers for the original region and then a dash ('-') and then the region's sequence number. You may have to go thru a layer of paint or two. Check first for what appears to be a non-smooth surface where the stamp could be located before stripping the whole hoop.

Most nujmbers I have seen are closer to where the hoop attaches to the main part of the frame. (That way it won't get scraped off when you are upside-down --JK)

Finding the prior number is a definite plus and will help get a book re-issued. Your local tech guy should be able to help as well.

Thanks again all! The frame is about to be sandblasted, so that should make finding the number a little easier. Scott, you did a gorgeous job on the car. Now I have something to strive for. I used one of Doug's shots and so now your car, cresting the hill at turn 6, is my desktop background!

Tom

Thanks again all! The frame is about to be sandblasted, so that should make finding the number a little easier. Scott, you did a gorgeous job on the car. Now I have something to strive for. I used one of Doug's shots and so now your car, cresting the hill at turn 6, is my desktop background!

Tom
    That's cool, I already picked the same picture for my background last nite! (Thanks Doug Carter). Now I guess i'll have to give my Ralt/Hayabusa FS a make over to maintain the image.
    Last edited by formulasuper; 08.03.09 at 6:33 PM.
    Scott Woodruff

Thread Information