Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Liked: 67

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Macchio View Post
    Since I, and my school(Bertil Roos) are mentioned a few times in this thread, thought I'd add my two cents. The difference between pro schools and SCCA schools, or those of any other sanctioning body, lies int the word pro. We make our living doing this, 365. Our reputation, and therfore financial well being hinges on how well we perform. Our goal is always to teach safe driving, but also successful racing. In addition to the low hassle of the pro school, and the less obvious cost efficiency, you will just learn a LOT more. For drivers who are returning to the sport, it might be good to know that we bend *** over backward to custom fit the teaching to their level of experience. Several people in this thread have mentioned that they had previous racing experience, but thought it would be a good idea to go back to school and learn a few things that they might not have picked up the first time. That is the thinking of a mature racer. We get lots of "returnees", and have never had a single one say that it was a waste of time. Most of us have missed out on some things the first time around. Its great to see some drivers sublimate their egos that way. It is what will make you better......Dennis
    +1! Great post.
    -Peter Krause
    1984 Tiga SC
    www.peterkrause.net
    "The Driver is the Greatest Performance Variable in the Racing Equation"

Contributing Member
    Liked: 8

Default Schools

Some SCCA schools are excellent. Others, not so much. I don't know anything about the pro schools, but I do know of Dennis Macchio's reputation, and it is excellent. Also, I know that different teachers teach different things and use different techniques. The same would go with schools.

Therefore, since I have done SCCA schools, I would be likely to try a pro school if I had reason to do a school again. Not because it's necessarily better, but because I would be exposed to a different approach, different car, different track and techniques. If nothing else, the variety would make it worthwhile.

Larry Oliver
    International Racing Products

PS I have heard a knock against one school that seeminglly teaches high-speed driving, but not racing. Racing is an important aspect, meaning that understanding how and when to set up and pass is much different than just driving the line, braking and turning.
    Larry Oliver

Liked: 115

Quote Originally Posted by Tigaman View Post
    +1! Great post.
    I've worked with both Dennis and Peter. They coached me at the required DOP school for SVRA at Roebling in '04 and at Beaver Run later that year. Loads of fun and darn hard to keep up with PK. Dennis got me on the pole at Beaver Run. Thanks, guys.

John Gaither

Liked: 0

I just did a 3 day skip barber at lagunca seca in their formula cars. I didn't know jack about driving relative to before the school. Was worth every penny, I'll have to do the follow up 2 day adv now.

On a side note I think I was one of the last to drive their wingless formula cars, They are now going to use the rt 2000 for everything, not sure what they are doing with the old cars though.

Default Do both!

This thread has covered just about the entire range of opinions.

I was originally trained at Skippy and I'm now an SCCA instructor. My take...

Pro schools -- you get theory, seat time and solid instruction on technique.

SCCA schools -- more safety and real world stuff. You get total instruction in SCCA procedures, essential rules of the road, and flags. That's not covered nearly as well in pro schools and it's important. You also get to experience mixed class race groups, which you'll quite likely face in SCCA events. You'll get basic driving theory and technique training, but not as comprehensively as pro schools.

Bottom line: you need to do both types of schools.

Liked: 66

Having been out of the sport since 1985 things have changed but Back in the day I held a National licence in the San Francisco region for a few years. I attended Bondurants, Jim Russel and the SCCA schools. I have to agree that the pro schools are were you need to go for technique and seat time. The SCCA school is needed to clue the student in to how the system works. I would suggest both if possible. I think back then it was required???

I am going to have to get re-licensed either for the 2010 season, unless I decided to hold off another year which would be 2011.

I had a national license and went to skippy.

Where can I find out info on re-licensing?

How long is your reg and nat license good for?

How long is a skippy school good for, because I just looked and still have the certificate?

Thanks!

Contributing Member
    Liked: 863

Call the NE Div license chairman and plead your case. He will review your credentials and give you direction on what you need to do. You will have to talk to him, no matter what if you don't meet normal renewal requirements, so you might as well start there.
    ----------
    In memory of Joe Stimola and Glenn Phillips

Great, thanks for the info.

Liked: 2

I was at the Skippy as well, and the District official allowed me to submit for a waiver. If your stuff is current and you held a past license, they may pass you through or ask you to attend one of their schools. Otherwise they may give you a novice ticket till you get another race under your belt. I found them to be very fair.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information