Liked: 3787

With 300 plus entries at Daytona obviously there was equal opportunity for all assorted weirdness.

One thing we noticed. Central Florida used the transponders, and seemed to use them well. It really seemed to properly sort the field after qualifying. We didn't have some FV sitting on the grid next to an FA... And the results seemed to get posted fairly quickly. So, used like that, transponders could be a good thing.

David Sava showed up with the wildest late 80's Reynard ever seen. It will probably cause much debate about the CFC rules and their interpretation. This car had tunnels on the side that were at least a foot high and extended out to the maximun allowable width. It had razor blade front wings, about 2 inches deep and maybe 1/2" thick, and virtually no rear wing, sort of like a flat piece held up by two vertical flat pieces. He built a custom nose that was chisel sharp. Then put a full width undertray on the car that started behind the front wheels and extended the max distance back. David wasn't shy about all this... he painted the whole car day-glo orange. And I forgot to take a picture of it to post on this site.
    I think some of his peers may have thought it was worth $50 just to hear what the stewards would rule. But even though David smoked them in qualifying, he didn't finish either race. But yours truly got to see one of the side pods REAL close as it flew over my car while we went around the NASCAR banking!

The big question Friday night was, "Where is Montfort?" The Frog even brought a herd of purple frogs to introduce to that Atlanta child.

Richard Aiken finished his second race, so now he is legal. After driving that 95 VD we wonder how he will like getting into the old Swift next year?

The tech inspectors in the SE continued their "don't ask, don't see" policy on fuel inspection ports. In otherwords, it ain't an issue in the SE. If they want your fuel they know how to get it... "Been doing it for years, kid. We don't need no high-falutin port." With 48 cars on the grid... maybe two had installed ports. No word of any fuel being inspected all weekend.

The IT boys put on quite a show Sunday morning with a NASCAR style 9 car pile up at the start. This was no fender bender... major bent chassis.

Liked: 0

Montfort didnt feel like towing for fourteen hours to get there and not be able to race if it rained. Sorry guys, I know we need the numbers but this year the cash flow aint what it used to be or else I would have been in your way all year long. See you guys at the Atlanta double for sure.

Liked: 3787

That was not rain at Daytona.
    I checked with the Florida Tourism Council. What was witnessed at Daytona was, as they put it, "liquid sunshine."

Thread Information