Thread: Wheel Bearings

Liked: 0

Im trying to find front and rear wheel bearings for my 88 Reynard. Everywhere I look they are around $180 each. OUCH!!! Do I have to get the exact replacement bearings or is there a cheaper aftermarket out there?

Liked: 309

I ran into the same issue when I replaced the bearings on my 85 Reynard which use the same size. If you want to stay with the original size, I'm sorry to say that the answer is no.

The alternative is to sleeve the upright to a smaller "common" size so that you can utilize an off the shelf bearing. I found this out from another Reynard owner after I had already went the OEM route. He reported no problem by going this route.

-pru-

Chris Pruett
    Swift DB1

Liked: 3787

Luckily for my old '84 I can use stock Audi 500 and Fiat 128 bearings, at about $50 per corner.

What Material did you use to sleeve the uprights? What bearings are you using now?

Liked: 309

As I said, I heard of this option after I had paid the big money for the OEM bearings, so I don't have any idea of what type of material or bearing that were used.

Contact me directly and I can give you the name of the owner who pursued this route.

-pru-

[size="1"][ October 29, 2003, 09:59 AM: Message edited by: -pru- ][/size]
    Chris Pruett
    Swift DB1

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 919

I have found similar problems with my 85 tiga. I took the old bearing to a GOOD bearing distributor, such as bearings inc, with a list of the dimensions and was able to get replacements for a very reasonable price. just about everything was mass produced for some other application, the trick is to find the bearing in a "non race car" enviroment and then everything suddenly becomes a lot less costly. good luck

------------------

I looked long and hard for a replacement for these bearings...and there is none. They are expensive, but they last a long time. I would be wary of any attempt to save the cost by using a smaller bearing and sleeve. It can work, but it would probably cost more to do it correctly than buying new bearings every few seasons.

...and $180 each is a good price!

Larry Oliver
    International Racing Products
    703-759-0567 most evenings until 9:30 eastern
    ...and world's largest inventory of expensive Reynard bearings

I have a set of NOS correct bearings for your Reynard. Please contact me if still interested.

Thread Information