as far as the tech side of these cars.
    Any advise on the pros & cons of these
    cars would be of great help.Would mainly
    run Road Atlanta Regional and club CFC.
    Thanks.
    SuperTech Engineering inc.
    Mark Hatheway

Liked: 0

I'm in the same boat as you. I have a 1984 Reynard that I'm currently restoring. Here's a picture of it

Currently it doesn't look anything like this at all. Nope, it's in several piles on the floor of my garage.

It's a nice simple car with nothing really hi-tech or exotic on it. In fact, the most hi-tech thing on it is the electronic tach I'm putting in it. From my stand point it's a nice, simple and easy to drive car that should be a good starting point.

Hey guys! You are on your way to the greatest time of your life.I've been running strictly regionals for 6 years starting out with an 83 Van Diemen and then moved up to a 92 Van Diemen, I've been down your road. Running an FC is a hell of a good time. Use common sense as you would with any type of racecar. Do your regular maintance of checking bolts and suspension pieces for cracks. Do a leak down once in a while, don't overrev too much, put gas in it, hold your foot to the floor and have fun. If your running strictly regionals and looking to have fun, use the KISS theory (Keep It Simple Stupid). Set up cambers to give you good tire life if your looking to stretch your tire budget (either new or used). Set your corner weights and ride height. I run junk yard bottom end engines with a good Ivey head and intake and rebuild my own. My entire budget for last year consisted of 2 sets of tires, entry fees , fuel a set of spark plugs. It doesnt have to cost a lot to have fun. This place will give you all the advise you can use. Great place to hang out. There is a great mix of regional national and even pro drivers offering their experiences. Soak it all up and use what you can. GOOD LUCK and start racking up some wins!!

------------------
    Tab FC#92

Hi Tab.

I plan to use the KISS philosphy as much as I can. Speaking of which, what's the best tool for setting/measuring camber? The time is coming near when I'll need something to do this with.

Liked: 68

Get yourself a SmartCamber guage. Available through several race supply warehouses. Another useful tool is a ride-height guage. Although you can measure this with a tape measure, a proper tool makes this task easier with better repeatability.

Dave, El Gaupo is right on the money about the tools. Smart camber gauge is a great tool and quick and easy to use. Have fun!

------------------
    Tab FC#92

Two votes for SmartCamber and none for any of the others. Guess I'm going with that. Thanks!

Contributing Member
    Liked: 1

Both the Reynard and Swift are good cars. I've run a 1990 Reynard in Central Division Regionals for the last two years. The Reynard is a straightforward car, but with everything there is a learning curve. I chose the Reynard for a variety of reasons: 1) They are plentiful in this part of the country. 2) I fit in it. I'm 6'4", about 200 lbs., it's a tight fit but I do fit. I looked at a 1989 Euroswift and just could not get comfortable - two narrow in the shoulders, less room in the foot box. 3) With a good driver the Reynard is still competitive. 4) Parts are readily available at reasonable prices. Probably can't find more fun for the $$. You can get one for $9 - $13,000 depending on the condition and what is included. The 1987-1990 Reynard's are most common. However, I know a number of guys who have 1984 and 1986 models and are competitive

Contributing Member ennis bragg's Avatar

I use a SmartCamber to measure camber as well. I also doublecheck it using a camber/caster guage with a bubble sight. It's a quick error check for those of us too lazy to calibrate the SmartCamber on a regular basis.

Just thought I'd post this page which has instructions on how to use the Smartcamber.
    http://www.vfaq.com/BADSM/Tools/Smar...artCamber.html

Liked: 201

hello
    i have a FC for sale that I think would be great for you. It is an older car, a swift. It is still very competitive though. I finished second with it in my last race. I was fifth at a national this year beating the top two in points on the track. It is a good fun reliable car. Please consider this when you buy your car because I do believe it is a good car. Here is a list of info about the car. For Sale:
    1985 Swift DB-3 FC
    Clean, professionally maintained:
    Schlossnagel rebuild of a Loyning engine
    New crank, clutch and flywheel
    New ring and pinion
    New fuel pump and battery
    New drilled rotors
    DB-6 nose/wings
    Custom rear wing/single and two dual element configurations
    LD-20 front calipers and Carbon Metallic pads
    Rifle drilled axles
    Aluminum differential
    Dyno'd nitro shocks
    Modified ackerman
    2 sets Technos and 1 set Joenbloed plus two bonus wheels
    two sets of rains
    new difuser
    many spares including:
    front/rear wings
    front wing poles
    many suspension pieces
    different front sway bars
    radiator
    flag alignment equipment
    nosebox
    axles
    2 calipers
    shocks just rebuilt
    this car won the SoPac Division championship and many times won the Az region championship. It also beat the top two cars in the Southeast Division at VIR in the season finale National event outright on the track. I challenge anyone to look at this car and compare and find something better for the money. $12,500. Reply to this or email me at brumbaughracing@msn.com

------------------
    bre86
    andy

It is my understanding that the sediv has done away with the CFC class. So you will be in the boat with me running an old car against the rich boys with the new toys. Sorry!

Liked: 201

yes they did get rid of cfc but i still finished second in my last race which was against the new cars. it was at vir in october. the first race of the 2001 sarrc season. i was ahead of van diemens made in the nineties so i think i will be ok, maybe not win the championship but lets keep our fingers crossed.

I have a 1989 Crossle 71 for sale that might just be what you are looking for. It is quick and has lots of "stuff" including Stack logging dash and many updates. I ran in CFC and won the last two Mid Ohio races.
    A similar car went form 21st at the runoffs to 9th. Asking 12,000, if your interested drop me a line and I can send you some photos on line to get the big picture.

Thread Information