Liked: 0

I was given a 1996 Reynard Lotus race car from a relative in Russia and i am having trouble finding a class the car would be able to run based on what it has in it right now. I need your help, so i included specs of the car and i would like to know if anyone knows what class the car could fall in. Thanks.

Description
    Lotus-Reynard car, ready to race in the Russian Formula 1600. Chassis: 1996 Reynard, Engine: Lada/VAZ Sport 8 valve 1600 cc, completely rebuild, dry crankcase, 170 hp, normally works at 8000-9000 rpm. Gearbox: Hewland Mk 5/9. Rebuild from Formula Opel Car, 3 years in races of the Russian Formula 1600 Championship (18 races). Features Pi Research Sys2+ logger.

History
    Produced in 1996, rebuild for the Russian Formula 1600 Championship in 1999. Three race seasons (2000-2003), Russian Formula 1600 Champion in 2002.

Recent Competition History
    Multiple wins, 2002 Russian Formula 1600 Champion

Engine
    Engine Builder: Lada/VAZ
    Manufacturer: Lada/VAZ
    Type: Sport
    Horsepower: 170
    Block: Lada / VAZ
    Crankshaft: Torgmash Lada
    Pistons: Torgmash Lada
    Valves: 8
    Clutch: SACHS-140
    Exhaust: VAZ
    Total Time: 6 hours
    Races: 3 races
    Fuel System
    Fuel Tank
    Manufacturer: Lada / VAZ
    Capacity: 35 litre
    Fuel Pump: electric, VAZ
    Fuel Type: gasoline 98+
    Oil/Water System
    Radiator: VAZ
    Water Pump: VAZ
    Oil Cooler: VAZ
    Electrical System
    Ignition: electronic
    Battery: Bosch
    Data Logger: Pi Research Sys2+
    Computer: Yanvar / VAZ
    Transmission
    Manfacturer: Hewland
    Type: Mk 5/9
    Gears: 5
    Body
    Construction: fiberglass
    Color: blue and dark blue
    Condition: good condition, race ready
    Chassis Builder: Reynard
    Condition: good
    Shocks: Koni, 1 year
    Brakes: AP Racing
    Wheels: Speedline Corse
    Tires: Dunlop / Pirelli
    Interior
    Fire System: Homologated fire system

Contributing Member Allan Davies's Avatar

Sounds like this will fall into the SCCA's regional-level Formula S class. I'll bet you'll have a lot of fun with it in that group!

Hope you have a great time with it,

Allan

Liked: 11

Hey, does anyone have a spare Torgmash Lada valve cover gasket? No? How about a plug for the Yanvar / VAZ? Damm.

Really, sounds like a fun car. How much does it weigh?
    Look anything like this?:

Sean O'Connell
    1996 RF96 FC
    1996 RF96 FB
    2004 Mygale SJ04 Zetec

Nice pictures, actually those two pictures are of two different cars. The top car is actually a 99 and the bottom is the 96. I can probably guess that you got them off the race-cars.com website. But yes, the 96 is the one i plan on picking up in Chicago within a few weeks...cause it is coming from Moscow. But also, to the reply about the FIA crash tests, how would i go about getting that information. The people in which i will recieve the car from do not have that data, so what do i do to get the car SCCA certified? Let me know...and nice pictures [img]smile.gif[/img]

Liked: 190

FS will be your class, however, I'd bet it's a carbon tub car? You will need the FIA tub crash test results for that model chassis in order to get the SCCA homologation papers needed to race the car in SCCA. If it is a steel tube chassis, life will be much easier when you go for homologation.
    Bill Bonow
    "Wait, which one is the gas pedal again?"

Contributing Member
    Liked: 8

First, PRAY that you have a tube chassis. Then call SCCA and tell them that you need a homologation kit. They will send you the forms to fill out. I think the charge is $200 for the certificate. If it is a carbon chassis, you will have a difficult time finding the FIA documentation, but I'd start by contacting FIA and asking them if they have anything.

Larry Oliver
    International Racing Products
    Larry Oliver

Thread Information