Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Liked: 710

Quote Originally Posted by RobLav View Post

Mike B - Ian - Is the Barnett kevlar unit with stiffer springs the way to go?
    Use the Barnett springs, not the kevlar plates. My '07 is an Ebay motor and the clutch didn't last a complete session. When we disassembled it to change it, it had the Barnett plates and they were toast. The DSR guys say the stock plates are better than the Barnett kevlar plates.
    Be very careful not to slip it too much and watch the oil temps.

Congrats!
    Mike Beauchamp
    RF95 Prototype 2

Get your FIA rain lights here:
    www.gyrodynamics.net/product/cartek-fia-rain-light/

Liked: 126

OK... I've researched this a bit. Seems the stock plates / disks are best but to use EPC springs, which are a bit stiffer than the Barnett. With EPC's, I have the option of using three EPC's and three stock springs or going to six EPC's. (I found that I could easily shift without using the clutch.)

Coop - The Sprints are too far away to run out there this year. LRP will be next mid June. Too much to take out of the money and vacation time budget. Good luck out there. I will consider the ARRC in November. I'm also considering the Watkins Glen National, but that race has always been a zoo in our group. I'd rather have meaningful track time right now. This season is shakedown... next year will be a bigger National push. I will be at the LRP National at the end of July.

Liked: 553

That's a pretty good debut, with relatively minor issues you can tackle. Glad you were able to get some fun (but probably hectic) time at the track after all your work. Next time put someone in charge of taking pictures. :-).

That would be great if you could make the ARRC. I'd love to check out your car. What I've seen thus far looks sano.
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Liked: 43

Congrats Rob,

I bet it felt pretty good to get out and turn a wheel after all that work. It sounds like you had a good weekend. Nothing major broke and you had good fluid temps. I would consider this a good start.

I hope to have mine starting up for the first time this weekend if all goes well and the parts show up in time.

Liked: 0

Default New SOP

Sounds to me like SOP for any eBay motor should be rework of the clutch. glad you had a successful outing to get your license back. We used the Barnett springs. One FYI. When you get the clutch apart, replace the little "wire" that is at the back of the assembly. It is easy to damage, and for the price, best just to replace when you service the plates. Congrats on the debut. It feels great to get out there, doesn't it.
    Ian MacLeod
    "Happy Hour: 5:00 - 5:30"
    Tatuus F1k

Thanks Ian and Dan,

My engine was an Ebay special, yes. $1200 was a pretty good price in the fall of 2006 for a 2006 engine. Owner claimed it had around 600 miles. I drove to Long Island to pick it up and saw the bike it came out of. Between that and how the insides of the engine looked when I installed the dry sump, I believed the mileage.

I'd say now that Yamaha has very conservative springs in their clutches, and that they need replaced in all our engines. I'll let you know how these EPC springs work. We need to make sure the clutch is right before the final install. Simple enough... I knew better.

As to my linkage, don't use cheap AN3 rodends if you decide to build a rod system instead of using cables!

So I now wait for my 2 sets of stock clutches and EPC springs (and the gasket and wire BTW! - thank you Ian) to come. In the meantime, I'm doing the prep work...

Liked: 43

Rob,

I learned the hard way with the first bike engine car that I built back in the late 80's that 3/16 is too small for a shift linkage. 1/4 inch works well and you should not have any problems with this size on all your joints. Hope this info helps.

I'm going with AN3 oversize shank. Thanks Dan.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information