Liked: 17

Default Interstate trailers

Howdy
    Anyone out there have any experience with Interstate trailers? I have the opportunity to grab a 24' enclosed one for pretty cheap money, and was wondering what if there are any gotchas on these, or should I just do the usual do diligence on it?
    Bob McCown
    Van Diemen RF81 #472 (2008-2013)
    Next ?
    2009 ARS CF
    "I barked twice." - Enzo (the dog)

Liked: 68

I have a 2000 Interstate 20x8 - twin-axle. Never had a problem with it, though the build tolerances aren't the best. Works fine, but it's heavy, as the frame is all-steel. No negatives to report after 9 years. I've literally has it all around the country - from Seattle (Evergreen Speedway) to Roebling Road to Watkins Glen. Never anything needed except basic maintenance.
    Marshall Mauney

Milwaukee Region

Banned
    Liked: 1116

Which series Interstate? I purchased two different models on the same day and know the history of both to this day. I'd buy another--but I do have model pros and cons and specific areas I'd look at closely on both.

PM if you wish.

I don't know the model number (its an older one, 1988), 24'. Seller says it has a 7200# GVWR, and "6 lug Dexter axles".
    Bob McCown
    Next ?
    2009 ARS CF

Liked: 11

Have them double check the GVWR, as I have never seen 7200#. 7200# axles Yes, but not combined GVWR. 6 lug wheels w/ upgraded hubs would also be very rare on a 7000# GVWR rated trailer; ie tandem 3500# axles.

Based on the age of the unit do not base your purchase decision on the brand, but the overall condition of the unit. After 20 years unless it is a Pace, Wells, or Featherlite it doesn't matter much.
    Peter Calhoun
    Motorsport Manager- Michelin North America, Inc.
    Swift DB1-86 FF1600 (bye-bye 3.12)
    2009-10 SCCA CM National Champions

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by PCalhoun View Post
    Based on the age of the unit do not base your purchase decision on the brand, but the overall condition of the unit. After 20 years unless it is a Pace, Wells, or Featherlite it doesn't matter much.
    1988? The Interstate brand I bought has only been around since 1995. There is an Interstate brand that builds heavy duty over the road semi-trailers, not sure they ever built small tag trailers.

Perhaps 6-lug 5200# Dexter axles? Both of my 7000GVWR rated trailers had 6-lug 3500# dexter axles.

Their current 8-lug stuff is all higher rated.

Agree with the condition vs. brand. I shopped many brands (Including Pace, Haulmark, Wells Cargo) there were things I liked and didn't like about each brand. I felt Interstate was the best choice, given the model lines I was shopping.

Axles, suspension, coupler and wheels are made by a handful of companies.
    Size and spacing of floor joists, floor material?
    A-Frame design and material?
    Wall stud spacing?
    Door hardware?
    Ramp door materials? Strength?
    Trailer skin material? Coating?
    Roof design, material, sealing method?

Quality of construction? Did they slap it together outdoors in about 2 hours?

Interstate vs Interstate West are two different companies. The original Interstate has been around 20 years, while the upstart spinoff is now saturating the west coast w/ factory owned stores under the name Trailers Plus I believe.

If anyone wants to know the features & construction techniques which differentiate the quality manufacturers send me a PM.
    Peter Calhoun

Banned

Interstate vs Interstate West are two different companies. The original Interstate has been around 20 years, while the upstart spinoff is now saturating the west coast w/ factory owned stores under the name Trailers Plus I believe.

If anyone wants to know the features & construction techniques which differentiate the quality manufacturers send me a PM.
    What I owned was neither Interstate nor Interstate West, they were Interstate Cargo, purchased from an independent dealer in 2004.

No, I don't think Pace is crap. I don't mean to suggest so. Ford made the GT40 and they made the Granada, Pace and others (Interstate Cargo included) aren't much different.

Thanks for the info, guys. I'm waiting to hear back from him with some answers, and if it sounds good, Ill head up and take a look at it this weekend.

Its currently used to haul a modified oval racer, and has some toolboxes and tire racks in it. We'll see what the real condition is.
    Bob McCown
    Next ?
    2009 ARS CF

Quote Originally Posted by Quickshoe View Post
    What I owned was neither Interstate nor Interstate West, they were Interstate Cargo, purchased from an independent dealer in 2004.

No, I don't think Pace is crap. I don't mean to suggest so. Ford made the GT40 and they made the Granada, Pace and others (Interstate Cargo included) aren't much different.
    Interstate Cargo ie West also has independant dealers. They may all look like white boxes on wheels, but there are significant differences on current generation trailers from Wells or Pace vs the regional competition. Including Pace support of SCCA & SVRA racing.

I won't bore the group w/ the details of construction, warranty, & customer service differences since we are talking used here.
    Peter Calhoun

Banned

Interstate Cargo ie West also has independant dealers. They may all look like white boxes on wheels, but there are significant differences on current generation trailers from Wells or Pace vs the regional competition. Including Pace support of SCCA & SVRA racing.

I won't bore the group w/ the details of construction, warranty, & customer service differences since we are talking used here.
    I realize that a value can be attached to supporting those who support us. How much value that adds to an individuals' purchasing decisions varies by person.

I realize that many look like white boxes on wheels and that there are differences. I looked at several brands. I have attempted, apparently feebly, to not paint all of a manufacturers' product line with the same brush.

I won't attempt to get in a pissing match over details either. If anybody wants to check out Interstate Cargo's construction or warranty and compare it to Pace Rallye series trailers (similarly priced) they can do so.

I don't sell Interstate Cargo trailers. Don't work for them. Don't even currently own one.

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 111

Default Interstate

I owned a 1989 Interstate...My first enclosed trailer. Was included with a racecar purchase. It was built like a tank and weighed a ton. Steel I-beam construction. Could prob haul a bobcat or a tank. Never any problems. All orig flooring and siding. Sat outside for the 10 years i had it. Near the end, the floor was a bit soft in one spot, and it leaked a little bit, but all things considered held up well. (considering wisconsin winters)
    .... 6 lug axles or somthing like that. Dont know the model. Sold 6 months ago with my previous truck.

just my experience.
    Corky!

BTW: I now own a vintage optima - would prefer to support forum sponsors, but the price was right on a used trailer with living qtrs.

Thread Information