Liked: 0

Default Just curious - HP question

I'm just curious about F1000 at this point and I'm wondering what kind of HP and Torque numbers you guys are getting out of the 1000 cc motorcycle engines.

Thanks
    Bob Stack, Hartland, WI
    CenDiv - Milwaukee region

Liked: 553

Probably not what your looking for, but, ...

Start with the latest, most popular engine (2009 GSXR?) and add 5% to whatever it makes stock. Why 5%? That's a WAG, based on: 1) we can't do anything to the engine internally, 2) Suzuki, Yamaha, Kawasaki, etc. are already doing a lot to get the max out of their engines, but 3) we can do some stuff that may help, such as exhaust, intake and engine management.
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Contributing Member
    Liked: 86

Quote Originally Posted by RussMcB View Post
    Start with the latest, most popular engine (2009 GSXR?) and add 5% to whatever it makes stock. Why 5%?
    There's a new kid on the block (193hp, 82 lb-ft):

http://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/us/en/index.html
    Matt King
    FV19 Citation XTC-41
    CenDiv-Milwaukee
    KEEP THE KINK!

There was a recent test of the 2009 SuperBikes at:

http://www.motorcycle.com/shoot-outs...18.html?page=2

Basically, the range was from 156 HP (rear wheel horsepower) ZX-10R Kawasaki
    154 HP (rear wheel horsepower) GSXR Suzuki
    152 HP (rear wheel horsepower) CBR1000 Honda
    146 HP (rear wheel horsepower) R-1 Yamaha
    They only mentioned the weakest torque 73 ft.lb. Yamaha

These were stock bikes. With the addition of a good pipe and a Power Commander (optimizing fuel air for Hp regardless of pollution concerns) these numbers should be improved by a minimum of 10%. Keep in mind we are talking rear wheel HP which is at least 10% down over crankshaft HP.

Interestingly, the latest info about the BMW HP and torque vary depending on whether the announcement came from BMW Germany or BMW USA. The USA branch claims 182 HP. There may be some difference based upon national model. Yamaha claims that the US R-1 is 6 HP down on the European model due to a much more restrictive exhaust due to sound regulations.

Hasty Horn

Contributing Member
    Liked: 86

Quote Originally Posted by HastyHorn View Post
    Interestingly, the latest info about the BMW HP and torque vary depending on whether the announcement came from BMW Germany or BMW USA. The USA branch claims 182 HP.
    The link I posted from the BMW usa site says 193hp, as does every other release I've seen on it today.
    Matt King
    FV19 Citation XTC-41
    CenDiv-Milwaukee
    KEEP THE KINK!

Default Data point

Here is a data point. My 2006 Suzuki sent to George Dean for his going over, remapping and dyno measured 171 at the wheel. Lower than the new breed, but still quite a bit.
    Ken

Liked: 553

My first engine (unopened 2004 ZX-10R from ebay) made 141 HP on a chassis dyno. It had no improvements other than a K&N filter and a home made header (my first, which may have hurt its performance, judging by George Dean's scowl when he looked at it at the 2007 ARRC :-).

Bob, I'm curious. What prompted your question?
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Liked: 1

I would say most of the newer stock Suzuki motors (2007-08) are delivering a realistic 170-175 RWHP. Suzuki says the 2009 model makes more, but nobody has configured a running car with one installed yet.

As far as being able to add HP to the stock setup...I think it is easier to lose HP over the stock setup when building airboxes and headers for the restrictive confines of our car applications.

Matt Conrad

What Matt is saying about airboxes is very likely right. My numbers are from his dyno with my header. Not my airbox.

I asked George about the differences between 07 and 06 and he said it is about 7 Hp.
    Ken

Wow - that's impressive! I was just wondering.
    Bob Stack, Hartland, WI

wow that bmw looks good on paper.80mm stroke.82 foot lbs torque.14200 redline.dont think they will be cheap or easy to get though.

Quote Originally Posted by RussMcB View Post
    Bob, I'm curious. What prompted your question?
    A few things I suppose - (a) I would love to eventually build/buy an FB car - but not in the budget at this point, so I like to read and learn about them (b) I got a wild ass idea for a power plant which now I can see would be so grossly under-powered that it wouldn't be worth the effort.

But that leads to the next question - how do you define "stock" - I mean I know what the GCR says, more or less, but unless I missed it - it does not specify a "street legal" or even production engine - just a motorcycle based 4 cycle engine up to 1000 cc. That would suggest to me that as long as the motor is one which is available from the manufacturer, even though not one sold for street use (ie. factory road racing bikes) that it would be legal? But deep down I can't beleive that's true. At the same time - what if an mfr has the "basic" motor and then the "hot motor", the hot motor being an optional one which uses "factory" aftermarket parts.

Just trying to learn
    Bob Stack, Hartland, WI

Thread Information