Default New England Challenge

The New England Challenge for FF and CF for 2009 will feature:

April 18/19 Summit Point WDC Regional
    May 9/10 Pocono NNJ Double Regional
    June 19/20 Lime Rock Park NER Regional
    July 11/12 New Hampshire Intern’l NER Regional
    August 22/23 NJ Motorsports Park SNJ Regional
    Sept 19/20 Watkins Glen FLR Double Regional

In addition, bonus points will be awarded to all attending the 40th Anniversary event at Road America and who run at least one other NEC race

Liked: 4

Default NEC 2009

Hoping to make all events, including the 40th.
    Jim MacNicholl

Liked: 1

Bob,
    Thanks,,,,
    Planning for all.

Tod

Contributing Member
    Liked: 0

Default New England Challenge Rounds 2 and 3

Round 2 and 3 are set for Pocono on May 9 and 10. Hopefully the economy has not affected the CF/FF ranks to badly and we'll have a nice field to run with.

The first round of the New England Challenge at Summit Point was a bit of a disappointment with only three Club Fords (Marcinski, VanNostrand and Nicolette) and two Formula Fords (Lutz and Arters). Nicolette was victorious in CF although he was pushed hard by VanNostrand as the two traded positions several times during the 20 lap race. Nicolette needed a last lap pass on VanNostrand to secure a 0.5 second win. Marcinski was in the CF mix early until he dropped out with mechanical issues. In FF, Lutz was never contested and had a lonely race as he watched the FCs disappear ahead of him.

Liked: 13

Too bad the 3 C/F drivers, Marcinski, VanNostrnd and Nicolette did not race at the BSFCS against the 4 C/F drivers, Wyrnn, Vann, McCown and Cutkins. A 7 car race sounds more competitive, challenging and affordable, what with the BSFCS being only $225.00 for the weekend on 2 completely seperate races. The events are for formula cars only and the track-time is enough to put on 2 complete races per weekend. It is a great deal, great track-time and great fun. All formula cars! If you try it, you will like it.
    yours for the Sport, AJ

Contributing Member

or vice versa - then we would have had 7!

Bob Lutz and other formula car drivers, I think you are missing my point; with these money troubled times, at the BSFCS you get 2 complete races for $225.00 plus almost 4 hours of track-time is set aside PER class! If all things were the same, then a traveling show of high formula cars numbers would be GREAT to see. What is the cost and time given at your events?
    yours for the Sport, AJ

Liked: 159

The reason I will shell out the extra entry fee and run NEC is related to roughly two factors. The NEC runs at the great roadcourses and 2, there is still a likelyhood of a decent field of cars at the Glen and the Narrc Runoffs, although to be honest there has been a downturn even before the economy tanked. My one race with RCCA two years ago was VERY pleasant, but it was on a small version of Pocono and the field was no bigger than a typical weekend in NEC. So in the end we are both doomed, just like IRL & CART where the dilution did no good for either and too many people lost interest and walked away.

As soon as RCCA starts to rent all of Pocono, or Limerock on a weekend the cost will not stay contained. So then you need 200- 350 entries which means less track time per race group. Am I missing something here?

As the new President and owner of the FRCCA I will say you are correct on some of your points.
    The FRCCA has been approached about expanding in several directions, which I am looking at currently. There is no doubt that the Glen is a great and historic track as is Lime Rock however I am not in a position right now to over extend my organization, to go to either place on my own would be foolish. The prices are way too high.
    If you want to really see Formula Cars make a rebound why not have your groups (NEC) leaders talk to me. Maybe we can do some events together next year? You are correct things can not continue as "Us and Them".
    Best Regards,
    John Heckman
    Pres./ Owner FRCCA
    570-669-9589
    frcca@ptd.net
    JH

Contributing Member
    Liked: 1

"Am I missing something here?"

Yes...the whining, crying, and general depression of open-wheeled racing in SCCA. Granted, this is just my perception of what I read and hear. We generally don't hear praises of SCCA unless one of us "outsiders" raise a fuss and says the grass is greener over here. I'm not interested in spending my money with a group that sees the cup half empty and then hassles me on top of that. FRCCA not only provides optimism, it treats me like they're glad to see me and work with me to get in the race (and I'm speaking of the officals as well as fellow racers). I used to race SCCA but I was never a "somebody" so I was generally treated like they were doing me a favor rather than appreciating my being there.

Is FRCCA the cure-all?? Maybe not but I believe it's a sneak peek at the future. Let's face it, SCCA has done little to nothing to cost control the formula classes - exception being the "CF & CFC" groups (kinda but not really) - and SCCA is over run with tintops. Follow the money. Improved Touring, Spec Rambo, & Spec Miata are preceived as "cheap racing" (the definition of oxymoron!!). You and I probably agree that's false economics to believe but it's still the popular opinion and so that's where racing dollars are spent. SCCA has to cater to the masses, largely b/c of track rental prices, and they can't even do that well as NASA keeps growing and growing.

OK, it's time for me to get off the soapbox. Remember, before everyone flames me, it's just my opinion. I hope you feel that same way about your racing organization as I do about mine but if you don't maybe it's time to peek over the fence and see where the other kids are playing!!! -John Bachmann

Liked: 159

I wasn't whining.

I am probably the happiest guy around.

The day I drove home from Pocono after the RCCA race was a good one. Big smile.

The day I towed home from NJMP after racing VERY hard with JD King and the other FF/CF boys was a great drive home with a few moments where I looked back on the race and thought, "could I have been any higher, raced any harder and had any more fun, ever". A large part of the fun of that day was related to the speed and challenge of driving that circuit while trying to beat JD.

If I recall all my favorite outings it is always back to the Glen or Limerock several years ago or the one time outings to Road Atlanta or Beaverun. So I choose to race at those tracks and with the guys who particpated in creating the memories

I believe a formula car driver is free to race wherever and whenever they want BUT small fields are not challenging and does not allow for each class getting their own race time, having your own class (field) also provides a safer raceday. The point I am trying to get across here is that the Bill Scott Formula Car Series (BSFCS) should be the first choice. SCCA reg & Nat'l, EMRA, FPR, RCCA, FRCCA and others are welcomed to get 2 races per weekend for only $225. Both the SUMMIT POINT RACEWAY and the SHENANDOAH circuits are used which totals 4 different layouts. Shenandoah layouts are 1.7 miles and 2.1 miles while the Summit Point Raceway is 2.0 miles. All competition licenses are recognized as well as all formula car classes. The BSFCS is for formula cars. I feel it is very worthwhile and is a great chance to show how strong formula car racing can be. Get to meet other drivers in your class and make chioces as to other tracks you attend AS A GROUP. Let us face it, in a 3 car race, you may explan that you came in third while the guy in front of you came in next-to-last, BUT that gets boring after a while.
    yours for the Sport, AJ

Thread Information