Liked: 1

Default Latest Driver Suit Requirements?

I was reviewing the October Fastrack and on Page 26 it states that FIA 8856-1986 or FIA 8856-2000 homologated suits are allowed. I have an eight year old OMP suit which does not have an SFI patch. The following is stiched into the back of the collar:

FIA
    Norme 1986/
    1986 Standard
    04.257.CSAI.99

The number "8856" does not appear on my suit, yet it is clearly labled "1986 Standard". Does this mean that my suit is of the 8856-1986 homologation, and therefore meets SCCA requirements for 2009?

Thanks!

Contributing Member Don Denomme's Avatar
    Liked: 4

Hmmmm! Three days and no takers. Either no one knows the answer, or it's so simple everyone feels that WE should know the answer. I go for the former. We could call the National Office. But, at times, they are less clear on most any subject than our members are.

My suite has similar stiching. The only difference is my suite lists the following numbers 05.221.CSAI.96 after the FIA 1986 designation.

I was already planning on getting a new suite for this year...but....it would be nice to know.

DHD

Thank you, Don. I was starting to think that I was the only one who was too dense to figure this out. I know that there are some real experts on this forum regarding safety equipment specs, so hopefully we will be enlightened soon.

Liked: 77

I have been trying to track down information about the labels you are asking about. So far I've been able to determine what CSAI stands for: CSI S.p.a. – Certification for Safety Institute, Milan, Italy is one of the testing companies for driver safety clothing recognized by FIA.

Unfortunately, the FIA web site only has current standards and lists of testing houses, manufacturers and homologation numbers for current products. The required label for suits is in a different form for the 8856-2000 standard than the ones you guys have on your older suits. I'm reasonably sure that the first two numbers are the homologation number and the trailing number is the year of manufacture. I will be at the SCCA offices in about 10 days. I will see if the 1986 standard information is in the library. Hang in there.

Dave

Hi Dave,

Thanks so much for taking the time to look into this. I don't want to show up for my first race in 2009 and have a problem with my suit at tech inspection. If it does turn out that my "1986 Standard" FIA suit is OK, then I will probably need some type of written reference that I can show to the tech inspectors in the event of any confusion. Thanks again.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 0

Default Who knows

Rick I can never keep track of what those foks are doing so I always take the easy way out. Call Tim at Safe Quip in Irmo S.C. He manufactures suits and safety gear so he is always up on the latest requirements .He is very easy to talk with. He is also good about getting you the most for your money if you need a new suit. That reminds me I need to order new belts for 2009. Good luck

Calling Tim is a great idea. Thank you, Jim.

Broke down and called Kevin at the National. We are but two of many who have called with the same question. At first blush our suites appear to be OK. BUT...National feels it is not getting full details from the FIA. Representatives from the FIA will be at the National Office in the next week or two to discuss this very topic.

Look for a FASTRACK update to the required specs before January. They're also working on a notice that will be sent out to all regional tech chiefs.

DHD

We are still looking into this issue, but so far we have been able to determine at least one form of the 8856-1986 label. I've also attached an 8856-2000 label. From the descriptions that Rick and Don have provided, they don't seem conform to the FIA label. Don't give up hope - we're still working on it. If it is possible for one of you to send a photo of what is on your suit, that might help.

Dave

Thanks for your help Dave. My label looks like the top version of the two. It has the FIA logo and lists the following:

NORME 1986
    1986 STANDARD
    05.221.CSAI.96

DHD

Dave,

My suit label does state "FIA Norme 1986/1986 Standard". However, the letters/numbers on the last line of info are different. Here is the complete label:

FIA
    Norme 1986/
    1986 Standard
    04.257.CSAI.99

I can send a picture if it will help. Please let me know via PM which e-mail address is preferred. Thanks for your help with this.

Rick

Mark Walthew sent me photos of several different such labels. That, and another visit to the FIA web site has allowed me to "break the code" (the FIA web site's search function is working again, which helped considerably).

There never was an 8856-1986 standard. That nomenclature wasn't in use in 1986. It is simply denoted as Norme 1986/1986 Standard as it appears on the example above. The FIA logo is required. The last part is the homologation number plus the national representative to the FIA of the country in which the suit was manufactured. In the US, it is ACCUS. In Italy, it is CSAI, etc.

The CRB will issue a Tech Bulletin correcting the GCR. We will also send examples (such as the one above) to the National Administrator for Tech for distribution to the Divisional Administrators. Those of you with FIA 1986 Standard suits should have no problem with them.

Case closed.

Dave

Greg Mercurio

Great work Dave!

Dave,

Thanks for taking the time to investigate this issue and to keep us updated on your progress. Your assistance with this is much appreciated.

Liked: 0

I was investigating this same question and came across this thread. If it helps, the NASA rule book says the following about driver's suits:

15.17.1 Driving Suits
    A driver is required to wear a suit that covers his or her entire body except for hands, feet, and head. Driving suits shall be one piece carrying an SFI 3.2A/1 rating or higher (3.2A/5, 3.2A/10, 3.2A/15, or 3.2A/20) or FIA 8856-2000, FIA NORME 1986/1986...

Default OMP suit

Rick Call me on Monday at my office, 1-800-275-4667 At the time I was the OMP importer and I had the suits SFI approved. I will be able to supply you with a patch for $5.00. Give me a buzz to take care of this.

Thread Information