Thread: Jabroc?

Liked: 608

Default Jabroc?

Pegasus won't ship a sheet [roughly 3 ft X 6 ft] Jabroc, the small pieces [20 inch square] they will ship are, at first estimate, too small and I'm probably going to just use 1/4 inch marine plywood anyway but I thought I'd ask first if anyone has some pieces of Jabroc of sufficient size to use for the sidepod floors 94/5 VD FC. I shall also check out further my Google search results.

Liked: 1

Wish i knew more, yet how about they package it up and see if they will allow you have FedEx/UPS pick up the package. Kind of a work-around solution.
    Enjoy the Track,

Steven
    http://www.EnjoyTheTrack.com
    Was 99/00 FC, now am Just Waiting. Racing is life...

Liked: 727

Quote Originally Posted by EYERACE View Post
    I'm probably going to just use 1/4 inch marine plywood anyway

Are you building a boat? Just go to Home Depot and get some plywood, make a pattern from your old floors, and make a stack of new ones. Paint them black and be done with it.
    Mike Beauchamp
    RF95 Prototype 2

Get your FIA rain lights here:
    www.gyrodynamics.net/product/cartek-fia-rain-light/

Liked: 65

Default Plastic Plywood

I bought some "plastic" plywood from Menards. It is made of compressed recycled plastic. I made sidepod floors from that. It came in a 4 X 4 sheet. It is more flexible than normal plywood. So it needs to be secured well, but given that, I think the flexibility makes it more durable. It has held up well, with no splitting or splintering, and it is already black....no need to paint it. And being black through and through, any dings or nicks do not show as much as it does on painted wood. It also cuts nicely with a jig saw.

BradHayesRacing.com

Contributing Member
    Liked: 4

Go to a cabinet shop or real lumber yard, ask for 5mm - 1/4" Baltic Birch plywood. It is a voidless plywood, multi ply, very dense. We have used in place of jabroc on the bottom of older Ralt Super Vee's. Holds up well.
    Dave

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1507

from http://www.jabroc.com/

EMI Supply Inc is the exclusive distributor of authentic Jabroc Densified Wood Laminate for North America. For availability, pricing or more information please contact us:
    EMI Supply Inc
    290 International Dr NW
    Concord, NC 28027
    Phone: 704-721-3641 Fax: 704-721-3644
    They ship UPS.

there's another supplier but I don't know the US distributor of:
    http://www.delignit.de/canada/delign...tpanzerha.html

Regular ol' 1/4 inch Home Despot plywood would not be the thing to have when one races in the rain...ergo the marine material. The Menard material sound interesting. How long ago did you obtain it and how could I contact them? Menard these days seems to mean Nascar and they are apparently not the same group. I am discarding my old who-knows-what-brand-never-seen-one-like-it-ever-piece-of-junk diffuser and mounting up a Polecat so I will need to make new sidepod floors. I'm measuring up an estimate that I'll need 2 pieces 1 foot X 5 feet each ....maybe a tad wider?

I do thank you for the HD suggestion....the old rule "measure twice, cut once" is in order here too so I may just pick up the HD 1/4 stuff and use it for a practice run...then make the final floors 'cuz there's all too often an open beer [and Vitamin C] somewhere in the shop.

I did contact the Jabroc people in NC. They were confused about Pegasus not shipping by saying that they ship sheets from NC all around the world. They would gladly supply me. I posted here because I'm wondering if someone has pieces that are just taking up space.....not that it would end up being dirt cheap either way.

Liked: 555

I bought regular plywood from HD, painted it and it seems fine after a year. If/When I redo mine, i will not hesitate to go this route again. I've had oil/coolant/gas/rain on it and it's held up fine.

I *think*, since the RF-95 floors have separate front and rear pieces, I was able to buy the wood in 4'x4' pieces, but it was pretty tight.

I do like the idea of "plastic plywood", especially if it already comes black. I looked into HDPE for floors but it was too expensive and heavy.
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Liked: 65

I bought the plastic plywood earlier this summer at Menards here in Indiana. I just looked and I still have a piece with the tag on it. It has a web site listed www.plastiklumber.com But the web site does not seem to show the stuff I bought. It is fine in the rain. It survived the debacle that was the FF race at this year's June Sprints.

BradHayesRacing.com

Classifieds Super License Charles Warner's Avatar
    Liked: 416

Alumapanel. FRP, or plywood treated with sealer. Take your pick.
    Charlie Warner
    fatto gatto racing

'Cause there's bugger-all down here on earth!

Regular ol' 1/4 inch Home Despot plywood would not be the thing to have when one races in the rain...ergo the marine material.
    I've raced in the rain plenty of times, no prob. I guess if you were to park in a deep puddle for a couple days it might start to warp, but I usually pull off the track at the end of the session. If I ever did have a problem with the cheap plywood, I wouldn't feel bad about making a new one at $11 each.
    Mike Beauchamp
    RF95 Prototype 2

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 11

Default Jabroc?

Pegasus won't ship a sheet [roughly 3 ft X 6 ft] Jabroc, the small pieces [20 inch square] they will ship are, at first estimate, too small and I'm probably going to just use 1/4 inch marine plywood anyway but I thought I'd ask first if anyone has some pieces of Jabroc of sufficient size to use for the sidepod floors 94/5 VD FC. I shall also check out further my Google search results.
    ...don't bother unless you absoloutely have to have it. Most of it will arrive warped by the time it gets off the boat, and it's ridiculously expensive!

after a while we're all looking for tenths or thous...... and even though the Jabroc is indeed expensive, i gather it's also heavier than other wood.....it might just lower my center of gravity a little.....but the plastic lumber thing has me interested for the variables of flex and color maintainence. i've at least in the mean time picked up a sheet of thin brown press board at HD for the first run

Thin brown pressboard is great for making a pattern but I wouldn't put it on my car. If you think plywood will be bad in the rain, your pressboard will be left in little chunks out on the track in even the lightest mist.
    Mike Beauchamp
    RF95 Prototype 2

Contributing Member formulasuper's Avatar
    Liked: 61

I can't imagine why anything other than heat treated aluminum would be used for floor panels. It's easy to cut & drill, it's lighter, doesn't warp, rot, splinter. Most formula cars use it for the main floor pan & is easy to source.
    Scott Woodruff
    83 RT5 Ralt/Scooteria Suzuki Formula S

(former) F440/F5/FF/FC/FA
    65 FFR Cobra Roadster 4.6 DOHC

Classifieds Super License Charles Warner's Avatar
    Liked: 416

it's also heavier than other wood.....it might just lower my center of gravity a little.....
    So you are light enough to require ballast?
    Charlie Warner
    fatto gatto racing

'Cause there's bugger-all down here on earth!

yeah - the brown press board is for a test pattern only - the bottom of the chassis will get bonded/riveted stainless steel or alum [decision still up in the air] - the floors of the side pods are what i'm still working on/thinking about......jabroc or marine plywood or the black plastic wood or ???

there's been times where i've been legal by one pound and two pounds with 9 pounds of ballast in the car and also carefully filling/measuring the gas prerace.....the good news there is that i plan on saving money by passing on an alum head

Contributing Member
    Liked: 0

Default jabroc

Jim Downing had some he was trying to sell not long ago . Shipping may still be a problem. Missed you at Daytona this weekend.

Liked: 0

Post Jabroc?

Good day to everyone on ApexSpeed. I wanted to invite anyone who has questions regarding Jabroc to feel free to contact me. I am the Vice President of EMI Supply Inc. and we are the factory authorized stocking distributor / importer of Jabroc for motorsports for North America. We currently have a large shipment clearing customs and it is set for delivery this Monday, 12/1/08. We also now have machining capabilities and can do custom parts per print. I welcome your inquires, feedback and comments. Good luck to you all.

Regards,
    Chad Conrad
    EMI Supply Inc.
    866-721-3641

Here is a link to our offering of Jabroc: http://www.emisupply.com/catalog/jabroc-c-485.html I will be adding current pricing to the site once everything clears customs and I know the final landed cost for the material.

I spoke to people at your company a few weeks ago about jabroc [who i forget] - i just wanted to add how helpful they were - seems a little odd that after all the processing, jabroc would warp - for all the distractions day to day of family/kids/school/in-laws/all their schedules, business's hundreds of distractions and bills and many other things too [like there are other things to work on on FC the car too and then there's the FF too.....oh, i became a garage door repairman for about 5 hours and saved myself about $250] - i've got some nice paper stencils made up and fit to the car that are reworked to allow for the new style diffuser [finally figured out how much and where the insulating foil goes] and a first rough out in the press board - so i still don't have the material in hand for the final sidepod floors - i think i'll get some suspension painting done first.

Thread Information