Thread: Womer EV3 FST

Liked: 190

Default Womer EV3 FST

If you interested in a Formula First car, here is a link to a fresh FV conversion that just went on the market. Car is ground up fresh with dual homologation (FV/FST) and he is asking $10k.

http://first.formulavee.org/exchange...6&p=6137#p6137
    Bill Bonow
    "Wait, which one is the gas pedal again?"

Liked: 0

Default dual homologation?

Bill:

Aren't the front suspensions different between FV and FST? Would you have to swap to the correct front beam when changing classes?

Or, can you use a standard FV front beam for FST? (and why, other than cost savings?)

Contributing Member
    Liked: 5

Rick,

You do use different beams. Link pin for FV, ball joint for FST. Originally, you could run either on a First to make it easier to convert in stages, but now a First has to have the ball joint beam and the disc brakes. Prevents people from deciding track A might be a link pin track while track B is a ball joint track so you would have one of each to be competitive.

Since this car uses the VW steering box instead of the rack and pinion it's easily changed back to a Formula Vee, which opens up the market to sell it. That's why it's dual homologated.

Default Thanks for the info

Thanks for the reply. I was just asking to enhance my own knowledge, wasn't trying to give anyone any grief.

So the front end of the car as it now, is set up for FST with the disc brakes, wider wheels and ball joint suspension?

I the ad sounds like it is flexible enough to be used as is or can be easily converted to FV regs.

Contributing Member

Quote Originally Posted by rickjohnson356 View Post
    So the front end of the car as it now, is set up for FST with the disc brakes, wider wheels and ball joint suspension?
    Correct. New discs, Club Ford tires with 2 heat cycles, ball joint suspension

Quote Originally Posted by rickjohnson356;187995I
    the ad sounds like it is flexible enough to be used as is or can be easily converted to FV regs.
    Also correct. The way the steering box is located on a Womer FV, a lot of fabricating would be needed to use a steering rack. The tie rods are shorter for the ball joint than the link pin, so it would need another set of tie rods but all the holes are there to take the ball joint beam off and bolt a link pin beam on. Engine and transmission swap could be done in a few hours.

Liked: 190

For Sale

Bob VanDyke's car will be at the ARRC with Ed Womer driving (just finished 12th in FV at the Runoffs). Here is a couple of pics to give you an idea. It now has graphics, numbers and class letters, but you get the idea. This is a steal for $10k.

Bill Bonow
    "Wait, which one is the gas pedal again?"

Liked: 1

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Bonow View Post
    Bob VanDyke's car will be at the ARRC with Ed Womer driving (just finished 12th in FV at the Runoffs). Here is a couple of pics to give you an idea. It now has graphics, numbers and class letters, but you get the idea. This is a steal for $10k.
    This hurts - I want to get into a FST and this would be do-able (at the upper end of my budget, but do-able) but I'm in Arizona and I'm not buying a car without getting in it first. The two for sale here in the state have major fit issues with me as I found out last night - one is too small for my size 12 1/2 feet, and the other is too big for my wallet...
    John Piggott
    1974 Lola T-322 Super Vee
    2009 FK-MK1 Formula First (Under Construction)

Contributing Member

Johnny,

Womer EV-3's are quite roomy. I'm 5'11" 235 pounds, have size 12 4E feet and fit in the car. I'm long in the trunk, 30 inch inseam, 46 inch jacket. However, moving closer to Arizona isn't really an option for me!

Liked: 1

Quote Originally Posted by Bob VanDyke View Post
    Johnny,

Womer EV-3's are quite roomy. I'm 5'11" 235 pounds, have size 12 4E feet and fit in the car. I'm long in the trunk, 30 inch inseam, 46 inch jacket. However, moving closer to Arizona isn't really an option for me!
    Like I said, this hurts! Every FST I can find on the web is on the wrong side of the country, or in the wrong country altogether. I'll keep at it, though. Something will come up sooner or later.
    John Piggott
    1974 Lola T-322 Super Vee
    2009 FK-MK1 Formula First (Under Construction)

Classifieds Super License samiam520's Avatar

Default West Coast FST

Johnny,

Although the FST movement was started in the mid-west, there is momentum gaining out here in the SF region.

I am planning on building a new FST this winter and I know of a couple of others that are converting FV's over. I hope to see 4-6 new cars next year. I know that Chuck Tatum is currently building a new Crusader FST chassis kit that is available for purchase immediately. He is located in Stockton. Also, I know of at least 2 FST's running currently in Cal Club.

If you need more info send me a PM.

Scott
    Scott

2006 Crusader FV & 2010 DFC10 FST

Contributing Member

Looks like the the car will be going to Alabama after the ARRC.

Contributing Member

The expected new owner didn't go to Atlanta. After a session getting Ed Womer comfortable in the car and another session in which Ed had an off, he had the car as high as 5th in the race before finishing 6th. He got his best lap time to within 3 seconds of the winner's best time. We know where to develop the car some more, but were extremely pleased with the potential of this car. The car will be getting a new, updated EV-3 nose and a thorough cleaning to remove the red clay! Looks like the plan is to keep it and try to rent it after the Womer EF-1 is ready to go.

Contributing Member

The economy won. I have received a deposit on the car and barring anything unforeseen, it will go as a Formula Vee kit to Connecticut.

Thread Information