Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4361

Default Fox40 and Rice Confirmed for ARRC

I was not going. Not in the budget. Never was.
    After winning all those FCM FST races over the past 3 years, I was going to have to miss this one. Well, sponsors and supporters have stepped up at the 11th hour to get me there.
    Fox40 has signed up as major sponsor. They make whistles and sell other sporting and safety equipment. They are donating 50 whistles for ARRC workers. We will also have a Fox40 display at our paddock space.

Please stop by and check out our FST car and Fox40 display.
    Thanks.
    Greg Rice
    #13 Problemchild SM2 FST
    2006-07-08 FCM FST Champion
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

Contributing Member Carl Middelegge's Avatar
    Liked: 0

Default Congradulations on your sponser

Greg,

Glad to see that you will be making it to the ARRC. It should be allot of fun!

Carl

Liked: 553

Great news, Greg.

Tell your sponsors that their support has resulted in additional visits to their web site. I haven't really been shopping for a whistle, but I might have to place an order.
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Liked: 2

Greg, you da' man! At first I was impressed with your car, SM1. Then I was impressed by your results with SM2 aka "Problemchild". Then..I was impressed by your three straight championships. Now you've topped it. Proof that sponsorship is out there that doesn't have to be car related! Who would have thought a whistle company would pony up cash for a race car? You da' man!

Question, when are you going to have a special "One-of-a-Kind Whistle Creation" made of SM2?

Good luck at the ARRC!

KC
    Man will race anything. It's in his blood. His Soul. He must.

Kurtis C. Shirley MacLane FV (sold), Lola T644 (sold), Murray FK1 FST (sold), Vector MG-95FF (sold), PRS 82F (sold), Lola T340... AKA PRS82F

Liked: 210

I have a FOX40 that I use when working corners! Great whistle

Every racer should have a FOX40 in their equipment bag for when they decide to go help out on a corner for a day Buy it now.
    CREW for Jeff 89 Reynard or Flag & Comm.

Liked: 3787

Greg is looking all day like one of the top runners in FST. He has struggled with a misfire, and then a broken header, but not insurmountable problems.

Liked: 210

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Frog View Post
    ...and then a broken header, but not insurmountable problems.
    Dang! We had a header pipe snap in two just above a weld at one of the bends durng our last race weekend of the year. Fortunately, one of the GT1 racers had a welder and fixed it right up for us and we completed the race. Only cost 6 bottles of iced down water.

Then had a misfire on the last laps of the race. Might it have something to do with the FOX thing? Like Reynard Fox emblems and FOX40 whistles?

Go FOX go!
    CREW for Jeff 89 Reynard or Flag & Comm.

Hi guys,

Well either he got the header fixed, or it didn't affect him, as Greg was quickest in the morning qualifying session. More info here:

http://www.eformulacarnews.com/viewtopic.php?t=1532

Cheers,
    Allan Craighead
    eFormulaCarNews.com Managing Editor
    (226) 808-9472 Cell
    acraighead@howdenmediagroup.com

Evening race fans,

Finally got some info from Road Atlanta about this afternoon's session. Greg Rice remained the driver to beat, improving on his fast to time to secure the pole position ahead of Bonow. More info here:

Cheers,
    Allan Craighead
    (226) 808-9472 Cell

Liked: 3787

Late Friday afternoon, qualifying at T1.

Last edited by Purple Frog; 09.07.09 at 10:10 PM.

Evening gang,

Wanted to pass on that Greg schings is the winner of the 2008 U.S. Formula First Grand Prix, narrowly beating Greg Rice for the win at Road Atlanta. More here:

Cheers,
    Allan Craighead
    (226) 808-9472 Cell

Congrats to Greg Schings on his fine victory. Thankyou to all for the kind words and attention to our fine class .... more later.
    Last edited by problemchild; 11.10.08 at 9:06 PM.

Default Rice Race Report

Despite the best of intentions, the operation of the split-start was a disaster. I took the lead in turn one and opened up a small lead on the first lap. I passed a few CFs on lap 2 and opened up a good lead after about 5 laps. At this point, I developed a high-speed miss and was working hard to maintain my lead over Greg Schings who had worked clear of the battle for 3rd with Doug Seim, Carl Middlelegge, and Bill Bonnow. I had a lead of most of the pit-straight for quite a while before my miss turned to a nasty misfire and I dropped about 5 seconds per lap for several laps. (Mylaps says 10s in 2 laps). I tried turning switches off/on, smacking guages, etc but nothing had any affect. As I was dropping back almost to the 3rd place battle, the cracking and popping subsided and the engine started pulling again. It would still miss above 6000 but that was only slowing me down abit in the 3rd gear sections and the end of the back straight. I set out after Greg who now had a lead of most of the pit-straight. We were both hangin it way out but I was catching him. He got caught up with a slow car in the esses (worst spot for traffic) and I caught him on the second last lap, drafting by on the back straight. I could not shake him and it was his turn for the draft on the last lap. We went side-by-side for about a 1/4 mile before he nosed ahead. I made a charge down the inside grass in the last corner ..... we crossed the line with wheels all but interlocked in a photo finish (.029s margin). Greg ran a great race and capitalized on my problems. We had a good clean battle .... it was as fun as finishing second can be ......
    I much prefer the pre-castration version of the track but it is still a great track. Like the original track, you can probably set the grid by timing a long split through corner one. Both Greg and I were the fastest from the start/finish to corner 5 and it let us gap the pack and break the draft.
    And yes .... my problems were a re-occurrance of Thursday problems. I had the same misfire but blamed it on a broken header pipe. Being the efficient type ..... I plugged in the booster battery and hooked up the charger while we repaired the pipe. I then did 4 more laps and all was well. I had a freshly charged battery for both qualifying sessions which were very short. In hindsight ..... I have some as-yet-undetermined electrical problem that takes a while to develop. The tach bounces to 8500 when it is misfiring.
    Thanks to all those who stopped by. We gave away over 100 free whistles and Fox40 has had several queries about group purchases. We returned from our 1900 mile journey to snowflakes falling in Buffalo. It was a well-run event at a wonderful facility with great weather. I hope I can make it back next year!
    Cheers!
    Last edited by problemchild; 11.11.08 at 7:27 PM.

Fox40 Whistle Promo

Early

Intermission over, The chase is on!

Last lap, .029 at the line!

Podium

Liked: 502

Looks like it was a slim margin, the guy that shaved won. Damn, those cars are close !

Default Fox40 hangin out with Logano and Benson on the Boardwalk!

I am trying put together a Fox40/Formula FST promo booth at a motorsports/trade show in Atlantic City in January. It is dependant on finding some commercial partners.
    I have an ad placed here ...
    http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/show...594#post193594
    If anybody knows somebody in the racing business that would be intersted in an inexpensive presence at a motorsports/trade show (35000 visitors), please send them my way. Thanks!

Thread Information