Liked: 0

Default Swift DB4 Bag Tank

Help! Seems the local rules require tanks to be less than 5 years old. hence I need to replace the bag tank in my Swift DB4, has anyone done it? suggest source of new tank?, dimensions for replacement? I would rather not pull the old out until new in hand.

Liked: 23

Aero Tech Services were the vendor for most Swift fuel cells. They did an inspection/service/blessing of my 10 year old fuel cell that they had made. They initially said if it was not in good shape they could make a new one from the orginal swift drawings, but it was not necessary.

http://www.aerotechservicesinc.com/
    ------------------
    'Stay Hungry'
    JK 1964-1996 #25

Classifieds Super License Charles Warner's Avatar
    Liked: 416

Pull the old tank out. Find an aircraft fuel cell shop in the area. Have them pressure test and seal the tank, giving you a statement that it was done. DO NOT expect them to re-certify the thing to FAA standards. However, they should give you a atatement that the tanbk has passed an approved test. That is good enough fore most sanctioning bodies, unless you are in OZ or Merrye Olde.
    Charlie Warner
    fatto gatto racing

'Cause there's bugger-all down here on earth!

Liked: 1

Charlie-

Where have you been? Any chance that you will be at Barber next month? You need to help us talk Bill G into bringing his Ralt.

Liked: 44

Grant

How is someone going to know how old the fuel cell is without looking at the MFG date on it? Is one supposed to have a certificate indicating the age of the cell?

It is labor intensive to remove a DB4 fuel cell. One must separate the engine from the tub, remove about 80 rivets that hold the panel at the rear of the tub. If drilling the rivets, use caution, do not hit the cell with the drill bit. We used a chisel to knock the heads of the rivets off, then cleaned up the holes after the cell was removed. When placing the cell back in the car dust some talcum powder on the outside surface of the cell, it acts as a lubricant so the cell slides in easier.

Default Swift DB4 bag Tank

Hi
    thanks for the help.
    I don't pretend to understand the need or how one demonstrates the age of the tank, I guess that is why we have sanctioning bodies! I think the New Zealand body is trying to catch up to our Australian cousins
    Given the car is far from the tank manufacturer and sounds like a mission to swap, a second tank and a 5 yearly swap / recertification process would seem the most practical answer. Off to contact Aero Tech.
    cheers
    Grant

Liked: 123

Default FIA regs, perhaps?

It sounds to me like the rules call for the cell to actually meet FIA regs, which limit life to 5 years with a possible 1 year extension after inspection and recertification (probably by the original manufacturer ONLY). If that's the case, add $500 a year to the cost of owning the car (assuming you can actually get a new DB4 cell for $2500...)

We don't have such a rule over here, so most of the advice you've gotten so far won't apply. that's IF the rules you run to call for FIA approved cells. Our rules call for cells manufactured to FIA specifications, which is a different thing altogether.

Brian

Like Dave said, IF you determine that you absolutely MUST remove the cell for inspection/recertification (and I would exhaust all other options first) go slow and watch what you drill!!!!!!!!! Its really easy to hit the cell with a drill bit.

This might seem like silly advice to pass along but I personally know of one perfectly good cell that was "swiss cheesed" during this process. No, it wasn't me or my cell (thank goodness) but names will be withheld to protect the guilty.

Default drilling rivets

Hi ,
    It seems to me the best thing to do is to put a piece of tube over the drill so only the correct amount of the drill protrudes out of the tube ,this can be a pain as the swaf gets up the tube but its better than filling the cell with holes,

Regards Ian Staples

Go to your local airport and find an airframe repairman. He will show you a tool that grinds just the stem off a rivet, leaving a little circle to flip off with your fingernail.
    Charles Felton

Contributing Member Garey Guzman's Avatar
    Liked: 858

Default Rivit removal tool

I had to replace a floorpan recently and had purchased this tool:
    http://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/to/rivettools.html

I think I counted the tool as being the 17th item down the page. It took about 15 minutes to drill out about a 100 rivits, including the first 5 minutes of learning how to use the tool and adjusting it to the right height. It LITERALLY took less than 5 seconds a rivit!
    Garey Guzman
    FF #4 (Former Cal Club member, current Atlanta Region member)
    https://redroadracing.com/ (includes Zink and Citation Registry)
    https://www.thekentlives.com/ (includes information on the FF Kent engine, chassis and history)

Liked: 24

Quote Originally Posted by Garey Guzman View Post
    I had to replace a floorpan recently and had purchased this tool:
    http://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/to/rivettools.html

I think I counted the tool as being the 17th item down the page. It took about 15 minutes to drill out about a 100 rivits, including the first 5 minutes of learning how to use the tool and adjusting it to the right height. It LITERALLY took less than 5 seconds a rivit!
    Gary can you send me the exact link to the tool.
    I have searched and searched and

Liked: 24

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Ross View Post

Tanks bud...would still like to talk to you on the phone if you want
    lamkint@comcast.net....

my nickel

Thread Information