Liked: 1417

Default What lenses do you carry and use?

For two years I have been waiting to buy the highly touted Nikkor AF-S 18-200 VR be-all, do-all lens. It was in such low supply and high demand that the damn thing was selling regularly for well over $300 more than retail, and at a few times, almost double.

Since I'm generally cheap and impatient, I have been carrying my D70S with both the 18-70 ED as my everyday and the very frugal ($95) 70-300mm f/4-5.6G. I've been itching for a 10.5mm fisheye lately, but now that supply has finally met up with demand on the 18-200 VR, I'm thinking of dumping my two main lenses and finally stepping up to carry only one lens for everything.

What I'm wondering is for anyone (pro or hobbyist), what lenses do you normally carry and use most?

Liked: 4

For on track photos, my Canon 300 f/4 IS gets the most use. For around the paddock, and in life in general my 17-55 f/2.8 IS gets the most use. If I don't mind the extra weight I also carry a 28 f/1.8, an 85 f/1.8 and a 50 f/1.4.
    #45 FE - Personal twitter: @AOERacing
    RaceTimer+ and business twitter:@Epipiphero

Liked: 0

I shoot mostly with the 70-200 F2.8 as well as the 100-400is F4. Paddock shots have been pretty decent with the 70-200 keeps you close but far enough to not get in the way or noticed at times.

I do want to get a nice wide angle zoom for some different types of shots. But with car racing it is difficult to get in close enough to be able to use a very wide angle lens and be effective. Now bikes, karts, and quarter midgets are a different story.

Default Nikon stuff

I use a Nikon D-50 (6.1MP).

Bought the body only and an 18-70 DX (lens that comes with the D-70) in 2005. So far I have no complaints for the 6.1MP as I have been able to easily get 8.5x11 prints from a small section of the 'fine-large' (max size) density images. No loss of quality or pixilation (?) problems on curved surfaces. 11x14 should be no problem. maybe even 16x20 from the full image.

I just visited Seattle, WA at the beginning of August and finally purchased a telephoto (for the hydroplane races and IRDC club event at Pacific Raceway). Had to close my eyes when signing the ticket for the 70-300 VR DX Nikkor lens + UV filter ($600!), but it has proven to be an excellent choice -- you only have to buy it once, so get the best.

I have had no problems with the quality of the zoom lenses. I think that these 2 lenses will cover my photography needs for a long time.

Kinda like buying $600+ MC wheels to load the FC on the trailer-- you only have to buy them once- (I can rationalize almost any purchase)

Since I don't have my own darkroom any more, I haven't done 16x20s (nor do I have pics that are worth a 16x20 [except my Janis Joplin one](Nikon F, 85mm f1.8 available light))

Back in the early days (60s-70s), zoom lenses were not as sharp as primary focal length, so I wound up with 2 Nikon F bodies (motor drive), 24mm, 28mm, 35mm, 50mm, 55mm micro-nikkor, 85mm, 135mm, 200mm, 300mm Nikkor lenses and a 500mm dioptic (Russian mirror).

As with a lot of things, YMMV

Contributing Member

Default Nikon 18-200

The 70-200 2.8 gets the most use and I use the 17-55 2.8 for the cose-up and garage shots. I do have the 18-200 and find it a great all around light weight lens. You will be pleased with its' versatility and balance on a relatively light weight body like the 70s.

Contributing Member Ken Lawrence's Avatar
    Liked: 53

Default Race lenses

24-120mm in the pits, 80-400mm on the track; covers most of my usage; still carry a 14mm for very tight pit areas

Liked: 5

Hello Doug,

Do some review research on the 'super-zooms'

The Sigma 18-200 is my favourite, works great, lots of headroom, no lens creep.

Had the Tamron 18-300, used to creep out and bang on everything, drove me crazy, always forgot to unlock the lens. Otherwise, great product, my idiosyncrasies didn't like it.

Borrowed the Nikon, nice feel worked well, didn't seem to be any better than the others, but double the price.

It seems like the reviews echo my thoughts, Sigma #1, tied for the other two.

I could send you some pics, if it would help.

I used these lenses at the Goodwood festival, best all arounders. you could get up close, maximize the field to get a whole car in, great for panning, bring in a long shot.

Hell, call me, I will send you mine!

Cheers
    Miles

PS. Your old car will be heading off for new paint ASAP, I will send a pic.

Liked: 42

The lens that gets the most use is the 300mm.

After that it's a tossup between the 28-70 and the 70-200.

I really like getting the up close panning shots and the 28-70 is a great lens for that.

I've used the 10.5 fisheye. I was lucky and found one in stock when they first came out and picked up as an impulse buy. While it was a fun lens I didn't like using it for motorsports very much. For example I spent an entire day at Road America with it on my backup camera body, and forced myself to shoot a couple hundred shots with it. It was REALLY tough to find good shots that really justified the lens over the 17-55. Most of them were shots in the pits, up close and very personal with the cars. Engine shots, cockpit shots etc.

Here's one of the few shots with the 10.5 that I liked that wasn't in the pits. Really fun to play with around the house and elsewhere. I just felt like I was missing shots that needed a bit more flexibility and the 17-55 would have covered 95-99% of the shots anyways.

As for the 18-70 that you have. I love the one I have. It is a great lens for the price. WAY better than the 18-55 kit lens and a good compromise if you don't want ot spend 1000 bucks on the 17-55 or 28-70.

The Sigma Bigma is a lens that I want to tryout as well but haven't had the chance. Good bang for the buck with lots of reach.

Contributing Member triumph_tech's Avatar
    Liked: 8

I shoot with a Canon 40D. The lens I use the most for on track shots is a Canon L series image stablizer 100-400mm Zoom. I also carry a Canon 28-135mm Image Stablizer zoom as a standard walk around lens and a Canon 10-22mm for any tight shots.
    Gary Valone #44
    Zink Z10-C

Liked: 3

Doug,

Are bags are very similar. I am using the D70. The 18-70mm kit lense is a very nice lens. The last I checked you would be lucky to get $200 for it on Ebay. I have thought about selling it but given the fact that we payed over $450 for it have decided to keep it as a back-up or to use on a second camera.

I have the 70-300mm f/4-5.6G, I paid $100 for mine and don't plan on selling it any time soon! ON a tripod and with enough light it has given me some great captues.

I got the 18-200 VR last year. It is a great lense. Perfect for just about everything, the ideal "vacation" lense. For track purposes I find that it just doesn't quite have the reach that I want. In retrospect I should of bought the 70-200VR, but at $1600 I couldn't afford it at the time. One thing to note, the 18-200 cannot be used with a teleconverter. The 70-200 can be used with a teleconverter. In general I don't like teleconverters, but they are a cheap way to get additional reach.

Rick, you seem to have good things to say about the 70-300 VR. For $600 bucks that might be the way to go. That extra bit of reach makes a big difference!

Doug, we are close enough. If you want to check out the 18-200 for a weekend let me know!

Jp
    Z16 Tweener
    Jp: thewarehouse "at" msn.com
    www.myinfinitystore.com
    90 Reynard FF

Liked: 48

Default my thoughts

well first it is too bad you have a NIKON ....LOL
    that being said I am of little help when it comes to a particular lens ........ in NIKONS line .........BUT

in Canons line ... this would be my thoughts (maybe you can translate to Nikon talk)

MY favorite lens of all is a fixed 200mm F1.8 super sharp !! and can shoot very low light without a flash ..........NEXT would be a 70-200mm IS F2.8 again VERY sharp (but I dont usually carry both) the NEXT would be a F2.8 24-70mm VERY sharp and very usefull in close quarters.

All of these are not cheap but well worth the result. IMHO

assuming you can get close enough to the subject as you like .. I've found a 200mm is plenty and getting a "longer " lens either gets REALLY expensive OR you sacrifice sharpness and speed of focus.

read reviews on a particular lens technical reivew pay attention to the SHARPNESS first you can laways make it LESS SHARP in photoshop...not too easy to go the other way effectively...

if you cant or dont want to "spend" for a lens BUY IT USED .... I did and was very happy I did ... alot of phoptogs take pretty good care of their stuff ... so used is 95% as good as used but alot cheaper ......

just my $.02
    friend us on FaceBook search "velocity haus"
    like on facebook search "velocity haus Engineering"
    Velocityhaus.com
    velocityhaus@gmail.com
    @Velocityhaus2 instagram

Liked: 3787

The pictures you see posted from Mrs. Frog's F2000 Series portfolio are from a Nikon D40X usually with the 70/300 VR lens.

The best shots are had when one wears a "PHOTO" vest.
    Last edited by Purple Frog; 09.07.09 at 10:01 PM.

Contributing Member triumph_tech's Avatar
    Liked: 8

if you cant or dont want to "spend" for a lens BUY IT USED .... I did and was very happy I did ... alot of phoptogs take pretty good care of their stuff ... so used is 95% as good as used but alot cheaper .....
    Good advice I bought all my cameras and lenses used on Ebay, saved a bunch to put into the car instead.
    Gary Valone #44
    Zink Z10-C

Liked: 42

www.keh.com

Great resource for used equipment. Everything I have received from their has exceeded my expectations.

I've bought things that were advertised as Like New adn they had never been opened.

The Very Good stuff was Like New and so on....

Thread Information