Liked: 0

Default Legal Distributor??

Hi guys,

I'm hoping for some help here... Can someone give some input as to whether the distributor I show below is legal for (SCCA) FF? Short-story-long, I grabbed it on eBay, but my assumptions about the Alison/Crane ignition module prevented me from noticing in the eBay photos the casting differences that I'd never seen before (bump-out for cable egress). I had no intention of using the rev-control, just the Alison/Crane unit similar to the Crane XR3000 I run now. But, upon receiving the distributor, it seems the rev control is hard-wired into the unit. Appreciate your thoughts.

SCCA GCR section on distributors:
    r. Electrical Equipment
    Distributor: Distributors are unrestricted provided the original drive, location,
    and housing (standard Motorcraft, Bosch, or Lucas) are retained.
    The distributor is defined as the component that triggers the LT current
    and distributes the HT current. The ignition timing may only be varied
    by vacuum and/or mechanical means. It is prohibited to use any other
    method or component to trigger, distribute, or time the ignition. Standard
    Motorcraft (Autolite), Bosch, or Lucas.

Distributor is a Bosch and the standard FF straight-up cap fits.

Does the more modern housing casting with the more complex cable harness egress represent a non-legal distributor? How about the rev control if it cannot be separated from the system? (the distributor was advertised as a FF distributor...)

Thanks,
    Erik

Contributing Member
    Liked: 20

By rev-control I assume you mean a rev-limiter? Lots of people use them, including me. I don't know about the protrusion, but I don't think it should be a problem.

Liked: 123

It's a standard Bosch dizzy - what's the problem? the rule book doesn't quote part numbers. I would use it.

Brian

Liked: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    It's a standard Bosch dizzy - what's the problem? the rule book doesn't quote part numbers. I would use it.

Brian
    Thanks guys,

No problem then I suppose - maybe it's just an asthetics thing for me

Into the spares kit it goes then (once I prove it out and give it a once over).

Liked: 3

I would agree, the Allison system looks like the equivalent of an MSD, which is just an amplifier -- it does not control the timing or distribution of the spark.

Thread Information