Liked: 447

Default ApexSPEEDBAR FireFox Browser Extension

I modified an existing FireFox extension to suit a purpose for ApexSpeed. The ApexSPEEDBAR is an extension that installs a drop down menu at the top of your FireFox browser that allows you to quickly select which ApexSpeed forum (along with New Posts and General Forums) you would like to visit.

DOWNLOAD IT HERE

Install instructions:

While in FireFox, select FILE--->OPEN FILE and open the apexspeedbar.xpi file
    It will then open a Software Installation window and click on "Install Now"
    Once installed, it will state that "All of the extensions were added successfully..."
    RESTART FireFox by closing all browser windows you have open and start it again
    Once this is done, right click on the menu bar at the top of the screen (grey area) and select "Customize"
    A "Customize Toolbar" window will appear and have icons for all of the objects you can drag to your menu.
    Scroll down and you will see an "ApexSpeed Forums" drop down menu item. Click on it and drag it to where you would like to see it on your FireFox menu. Have fun!
    Last edited by Keith Carter; 02.23.06 at 5:20 PM.
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29
    Follow me on Twitter @KeithCarter74

Liked: 23

Cool. Is it platform agnostic?
    ------------------
    'Stay Hungry'
    JK 1964-1996 #25

Yep. Works on Mac, Linux, Windows, etc...
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29

Ver 0.1.1 is out. You no longer need Nightly Tools as previously mentioned (although it will still make other Firefox extensions to install). Install instructions have also been revised.
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29

Not sure if anyone uses it or not, but I've updated it so that it will natively work with the latest Firefox version.
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1489

I'm having an iteresting problem with firefox (XP SP3 killed my IE).

Everything looks normal, but no cursor appears in this window. I can type, but I can't re-position the cursor to correct errors.

Probably a non-issue, because I'm dumping the PC POS for a Mac ASAP!

Late Braking Member
    Liked: 217

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Kirchner View Post

Everything looks normal, but no cursor appears in this window. I can type, but I can't re-position the cursor to correct errors.

I have the same kind of problem with PMs but not with forum posting. I haven't installed XP SP3 yet so I don't think that has anything to do with it...

Curious...

Steve

Late Braking Member

Default and another thing...

I'm using Firefox V3.0.1, tried to install the extension and got the following...

"ApexSPEEDBAR" will not be installed because it does not provide secure updates

Whadaya think?

Steve

Wow, didn't even think anyone used it so I haven't updated it in a long time. If you guys want me to look into it I can see what I can do.

EDIT: Firefox3 requires that updates be served either over https or with a hash to verify that the update you are getting is the right one. Maybe try downloading it locally first and then opening the XPI file with Firefox. I'm not sure where we can host it securely via https to make it play nice with installing it off of the web.
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29

Liked: 1417

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Kirchner View Post

Quote Originally Posted by SteveG View Post
    I have the same kind of problem with PMs but not with forum posting. I haven't installed XP SP3 yet so I don't think that has anything to do with it...

Curious...

Steve

Keith and I have been having the same issues since the last forum update (both on FireFox 3, one Mac and one PC). vB and Mozilla had no idea what we were talking about, but it seems as though we had an un-updated forum template, which was fixed this afternoon. There shouldn't be anymore type/post field issues.

Late Braking Member

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Carter View Post
    Wow, didn't even think anyone used it so I haven't updated it in a long time. If you guys want me to look into it I can see what I can do.

EDIT: Firefox3 requires that updates be served either over https or with a hash to verify that the update you are getting is the right one. Maybe try downloading it locally first and then opening the XPI file with Firefox. I'm not sure where we can host it securely via https to make it play nice with installing it off of the web.
    Keith,

This thread reminded me to install it on my new laptop. I tried the local download/install, that's where the error came from.

If I'm the only one using it, don't waste your time updating it.

Thanks
    Steve

Thread Information