Liked: 0

Default advice on open trailer brakes

I have 4 wheel open trailer (Trailerex) with inoperative surge brake system. I tow FF so my package is 1800 behind Acura MDX. My concern is that I don't have trailer brakes and the danger this presents. I am considering installing new brake system and am choosing between trailer surge brakes or proportional electric brake system. I would prefer electric brake controller to be on trailer with nothing installer under dash of tow vehicle. Comments appreciated........

Liked: 123

About the biggest advantage of surge brakes is that you can back your trailer into the water when you launch your Formula Ford and you won't screw up the electrics. Since you probably rarely do that, I would go with electric brakes. Normally you want them on both axles, but under 3000 lbs one axle should suffice. Get a Prodigy controller - best on the market in a good price range.

Brakes on the trailer will help a lot when towing with a light vehicle.

Brian

Liked: 0

Default re electric brake controller

Brian: do you have to mount the control box in the vehicle? I am concerned as I don't have a good spot in my MDX and I only tow a dozen weekends...........

thanks for reply

Arnie

Contributing Member triumph_tech's Avatar
    Liked: 8

The conversion to electric isn't that tough, pretty much bolt on, except for the wiring. Under 3000 lbs brakes aren't required but as you know nice to have. The brake controller isn't that big for a trailer of that weight and since there are adjustments for delay and brake pressure on the controller having it close to the driver makes the most sense.
    Gary Valone #44
    Zink Z10-C

Liked: 123

check out Prodigy, it may have a plug-and-play cable to install it in your vehicle. It's about the size of a pack of cigarettes, and it doesn't have to be mounted level.

Brian

Liked: 1

Default Brake Controller

Check Home Depot or any big hardware store for heavy duty velcro, I put the hook side of the velcro on the bottom of my controller and the fabric side can be double side taped to the console in the middle of the MDX. This way the controller can be quickly removed and installed in another vehicle. You will have to check for the plug adapter to fit your vehicle. I have a Honda Pilot and the adapter for brakes is a little difficult to find sometimes. You won't regret putting brakes on the trailer, ran my old trailer without brakes for years pulling with the Tacoma and when I fixed the brakes the whole package was a dream to drive down the highway.

Charles.

Liked: 1

Default Brake Controller

Check Home Depot or any big hardware store for heavy duty velcro, I put the hook side of the velcro on the bottom of my controller and the fabric side can be double side taped to the console in the middle of the MDX. This way the controller can be quickly removed and installed in another vehicle. You will have to check for the plug adapter to fit your vehicle. I have a Honda Pilot and the adapter for brakes is a little difficult to find sometimes. You won't regret putting brakes on the trailer, ran my old trailer without brakes for years pulling with the Tacoma and when I fixed the brakes the whole package was a dream to drive down the highway.

Charles.

Liked: 4

Default Brake Controller

Arnie:

For the in car installed controller. I use the Valley Oddessy ... http://www.etrailer.com/pc-IA~52810.htm for the the reasons above.

1. It is a smart system as it takes into account speed when determing brake forces. There are a couple that have this feaure now... shop around. Make sure you go with a propotionial system, vs a time delay system.

2. Unlike most other controllers, it does not need to be level. Mine is velcroed above my right knee on my leased tow vech. No holes, no brackets, etc. Look for self leveling and understand the range in which it will work. This feature allows for great mouting flexibility and also allows you to remove the unit, without having to re-calabrate/level it.

Once instaleld I dount think you'll be removing it. Mine is only a tad larger then by cell phone, so it really is not in the way.

After Aug 30th (Pocono), if I get car done, my controller is coming out. Not sure what I am going to do with it. It depends if the rental "Silverado" I plan on using for towing has a controller.

If you MDX has a plug under the dash (My Lincoln did), it is an easy plug and play DYI install. The wiring to the rear is already in place.

If not take it to a shop so they can splice in the adapter. It is only 4 wires. You'll need the adapter if you want to remove the unit . I can't see them charging you more then an Hr labor to splice in 4 wires.

As to how to install/convert your traler brakes to electric, I've got no clue. You'll probably want to reach out to a trailer shop.
    Last edited by racer27; 08.18.08 at 3:18 PM.
    AMBROSE BULDO - Abuldo at AOL.com
    CURRENT: Mid Life Crisis Racing Chump/Lemons Sometime Driver (Dodge Neon)
    CURRENT: iKart Evo Rotax 125 Kart
    GONE: CITATION 87/93 FC - Loved that car
    GONE: VD RF-85FF , 1981 FIAT Spider Turbo

Thread Information