Liked: 0

Default Not a lot of FV activity here?

I've noticed that there is not as uch FV participation here as there is in FF and FC - is that becasue most the FV folks are over at the Formula Vee Interchange (which doesn't see to be all that active either) or because we're working stiffs and not supposed to have time for screwing around on the internet? The joy of being self employed I suppose, I can screw around without getting fired! Might go broke, but at least I won't get fired!

Just curious is all
    Bob Stack, Hartland, WI
    CenDiv - Milwaukee region

Liked: 11

Quote Originally Posted by lawyerbob View Post
    I've noticed that there is not as uch FV participation here as there is in FF and FC - is that becasue most the FV folks are over at the Formula Vee Interchange (which doesn't see to be all that active either) or because we're working stiffs and not supposed to have time for screwing around on the internet? The joy of being self employed I suppose, I can screw around without getting fired! Might go broke, but at least I won't get fired!

Just curious is all

...or because most fv drivers pre-date the internet
    Sean O'Connell
    1996 RF96 FC
    1996 RF96 FB
    2004 Mygale SJ04 Zetec

Liked: 309

The Vee guys have their own dedicated forum.

Formula Vee Forum
    Stan Clayton
    Stohr Cars

Liked: 210

I assume you're talking about this site?
    http://formulavee.org/interchange/

All of the topics seem to have posts this week.

Apexspeed just added the FV and F500 sections about 2 months ago to complete the "F"-type car support here. It's slowly building a client base but SRacing has some good stuff going on and gets the majority of the activity.
    CREW for Jeff 89 Reynard or Flag & Comm.

Banned
    Liked: 1116

Bob,

How can I put this delicately?........Yes, most of the FV activity will be found on the FV interchange rather than here. While many of the people racing in FV have been racing longer than the Internet has been around I'd suggest that the SCCA demographic in most classes predate the PC, much less the Internet.

I found there isn't much activity on the FV site, relative to here, because the number of members are fewer. The cars are a lot less complicated and therefore less technical assistance needed. Most of the FV gurus are pretty chatty on the phone. It is like a chat forum for fans of toast, sure they'll find something to talk about, but they'll run out of things to talk about in short order.

Quote Originally Posted by Quickshoe View Post
    Bob,

.......While many of the people racing in FV have been racing longer than the Internet has been around

Hey HEY!!!!

When I got 'involved' with sports car racing, Gene Autry had just built the FIRST TV station in our town. Bill Gates hadn't even been BORN yet. Gas was 21 cents a gallon and Chaparral was something the Lone Ranger & Tonto rode their horses through on the radio. Long before Jim Hall built his first one.

And here it is all these years later and I know about the Internet ! !
    Last edited by rickb99; 07.26.08 at 1:42 AM.

Default watch out Sean....treading on thin ice

You can probably take lessons from a few FV drivers about momentum, strategy, and complete car design, not just from the engine bay back.

Stevan Davis - multiple time National champion

Dave Wietzenhof - National champion forget how many times.
    (yes, the same DaveW here)

Harvey Templeton - National chanpion,

the original one-off car designer of winning cars:

Ringwraith - FV
    Shadowfax -FV
    HR6251 -FF (named after the Soc Sec Bill from congress) (the numbers may not be correct)

Harvey kept driving up until he was 81.

These guys didn't need the internet.

Wow! Didn't mean to start something - it was just interesting to a new FV guy that the other sections had a lot more activity.

I've been on the interchange site and yes, it's more active than here for sure.

I too pre-date the internet. In college we were still learning programming on punch cards! I just like the comaraderie (sp?) of the forums - great place to learn stuff, especially when you don't know a draned thing yet!

Thanks
    Bob Stack, Hartland, WI

Default winter FV projects

Lawyerbob:

I wasn't starting something mean, did you see the smiley icon? Just having some repartee with a friend. (he's so young, he will have to look that word up)

================================================== ===========

I've got two FV projects to do this winter, so will be posting progress reports here.

Vintage Zeitler - complete project- all parts there except engine. Much, much work.

"Caracal D" partial project- frame, trailing arms, 2 sets of roxanne's headers, fuel cell, kevlar body and misc small parts. Needs everything else.

Fred Clark says it is a knock off chassis, not one of his, but will work with me to get it on the track.

Maybe we can liven the FV section up?

Quote Originally Posted by rickjohnson356 View Post
    Maybe we can liven the FV section up?
    Works for me! LOL

All I know is that I'm an "older" newbie - still at the point of not even know what questions to ask most of the time! So an active forum is a great place to learn - even if it's just lurking and reading and not posting too much.

Mostly I was trying to figure out where the FV guys mostly hang out - since it's kind of a pain to monitor two forums. But hey that's ok too.
    Bob Stack, Hartland, WI

Bob,

Did you pick up your Adams yet? If so... although you stated 'complete and ready to race'. Regardless of fresh off the track or in storage.. I'd consider....

Have you changed the oil and filter?
    Have you bled the brakes and looked for hydraulic leaks?
    Have you carefully examined every inch of wire and all connections for any fray'd wires or lose connectors?
    Pulled wheels and inspected bearings.
    Check the brake wear?
    Look for oil leaks especially on the push rod tubes and case bolts?
    Do a bolt torque check on all suspension points.

Even if the seller was your brother, 1 to 7 is worth a thought before heading to school.

School is 'intense' if you go through SCCA. Try to find somebody to help with the car. You'll be busy unless you use a rental car (which is a good idea if you can). If nobody available or you can't rent a car think about paying a prep-shop for the help at least on this occasion. You don't need to be trying to do school and fix minor car stuff. FV's are very reliable but you never know.
    Last edited by rickb99; 07.27.08 at 2:19 AM.

Thanks for the thoughts Rick. No I haven't picked it up yet - looks like the weekend of the 16th.

We do plan on doing all the things you suggest and carefully going over the car.

The budget won't support a rental for school but I will have some help both before and at school so I think we'll be ok.
    Last edited by lawyerbob; 07.26.08 at 11:10 PM.
    Bob Stack, Hartland, WI

Banned
    Liked: 1116

Assuming you fit in the Adams just fine, there are some Adams specific spares you may keep your eyes open for if not negotiated into this deal. Beyond body work I believe the steering toe/drag link and pitman arm are unique to the Adams. If you don't fit height-wise take a look at what you would need to do to the footbox/pedal area and what possible interference there may/may not be between your feet and the steering arms.

Keep on top of the brake shoe adjustment and valve adjustments and have a blast. Ain't a whole lot of bang, but there ain't much buck either. The speed is all relative anyway, as long as you are faster than the other guy you are fast enough.

Interesting comment Shoe. It reminds me of something.

We looked at one FV (can't recall constructor at the moment). It had an 'alternative' set of steering linkage with the car that allowed you to move everything to the front of the wheel hubs. That gave you an extra 5 or 6 inches to move the pedals further forward. Not sure all Vee's have that option (maybe the Adams already has that?) but it's certainly something that (maybe) could be done on most Vee's.

Quote Originally Posted by Quickshoe View Post
    Assuming you fit in the Adams just fine, there are some Adams specific spares you may keep your eyes open for if not negotiated into this deal. Beyond body work I believe the steering toe/drag link and pitman arm are unique to the Adams. If you don't fit height-wise take a look at what you would need to do to the footbox/pedal area and what possible interference there may/may not be between your feet and the steering arms.

Keep on top of the brake shoe adjustment and valve adjustments and have a blast. Ain't a whole lot of bang, but there ain't much buck either. The speed is all relative anyway, as long as you are faster than the other guy you are fast enough.
    Thanks for the advice! I think height won't be a problem - I'm only 5'8", but I know I need to drop a few pounds before spring (I'll fit, but who want's to look fat in a fire suit! lol)

I'll definately add those to the spares to watch for list.
    Bob Stack, Hartland, WI

Liked: 174

Bob:

A.J Foyt & Tony Stewart don't seem to mind looking fat in their driver suits!

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Amon View Post
    Bob:

A.J Foyt & Tony Stewart don't seem to mind looking fat in their driver suits!

Mark

Does AJ still fit in one? I love him, I really do, ever sice I was kid and forst saw him race at the Mile - 43 years ago now maybe? But geez, the guy has put on a few pounds!

As for Tony - well, mostly I'm just surpised he can find a helmet to fit on that swollen head. little ego there I'm afraid. Then again, I suppose when you've accomplished as much as he has, you deserve a little ego.
    Bob Stack, Hartland, WI

The really good news that has me smiling this morning is.. Kyle Busch did NOT win the Indy 400 ! ! Whoopy!!!

Quote Originally Posted by rickb99 View Post
    The really good news that has me smiling this morning is.. Kyle Busch did NOT win the Indy 400 ! ! Whoopy!!!
    Was that a crappy race race or what? I mean I guess I can understand NASCAR's safety concerns and I imagine Goodyear is feeling like they really screwed the pooch, but man, nothing like 4 hours of 10-20 lap heat races huh!

4 hours to go 400 miles! LOL - the FV's could have done it faster than that!
    Bob Stack, Hartland, WI

Liked: 7

I am a FV guy that likes to read these forums, don't post much (as you can see).

Been running SOLO events. Updating the car to take the jump to club racing.

I am sure there are others lurking here too.

FYI...I don't recall not having the internet.

Enjoy,
    Jim

Thread Information