Liked: 0

Default Help needed on Honda-engined Formula Car

Hi All,
    My Formula 1000 starts, runs fine, yet stalls after 5-10 minutes. Seems it's not getting fuel, but it is.

I've troubleshot and repaired all I can and need expert help.

The motor is a 2000 Honda CBR929RR and stock ECU. I have extensive notes on symptoms.

Can anyone help, or recommend anyone? I'm in Boulder, Colorado. Many thanks.
    Geremy
    boulderg2003 at yahoo dot com

Liked: 11

Wish I could help, but run a Suzuki. Hondas are a bit rare in the Fb field... try a 929 forum?
    Sean O'Connell
    1996 RF96 FC
    1996 RF96 FB
    2004 Mygale SJ04 Zetec

Liked: 555

Geremy, I agree with Sean about finding a 929 on line discussion forum.

But, in case it's not 929 related, tell us why you think it seems like it's not getting fuel, and also how you ruled that out. Do you have a fuel pressure sensor plumbed into the system?

Don't get too discouraged. If it takes you a while to fix the problem, at least you can have fun autocrossing the car in the mean time. :-).
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Thanks for the suggestions. I like the autocross idea!
    One challenge - any testing involves running the very loud car in my calm suburban 'hood. Not good.

I'll go to Richard Cottrill at Rilltech Racing next week.

Based on input, I'm thinking it's ignition and not a fuel issue. Maybe an electronics overheating issue?

cheers,
    BoulderG
    Last edited by BoulderG; 06.30.08 at 10:19 PM. Reason: make grammar gooder

An overdue thank you and explanation -
    Thanks to all for the suggestions and help. The problem was diagnosed by Richard Cottrill at Rilltech Racing, and it's been fixed. (Richard was a pleasure to work with and a credit to the racing community.)

Here's what it was:
    The fuel return line ran into a Tee fitting with the fuel pickup from the tank then to the fuel pump (instead of running back into the fuel cell). Symptoms were as described. I don't pretend to understand why/how this made a difference, but plumbing the return back into the fuel cell made everything fine.

Got it diagnosed in early July, but not fully tested until this weekend's track day.

Thanks to all for the help, and to Richard for his time and expertise.

Contributing Member Mike Devins's Avatar
    Liked: 29

Richard may correct me but I had a similar issue on my first install of a GSXR in my DSR. The fuel is running in a very short loop and is pressurized which creates heat in the fuel then bypassed by the regulator and then reheated again by the fuel pump over and over until the fuel and the pump over heats. I found it before it became an issue with the engine because the fuel pump was getting very hot. I put a return to the tank so that there was more mass to disipate the heat to.

Liked: 555

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Devins View Post
    Richard may correct me but I had a similar issue on my first install of a GSXR in my DSR. The fuel is running in a very short loop and is pressurized which creates heat in the fuel then bypassed by the regulator and then reheated again by the fuel pump over and over until the fuel and the pump over heats. I found it before it became an issue with the engine because the fuel pump was getting very hot. I put a return to the tank so that there was more mass to disipate the heat to.
    Ditto. Similar conclusion reached here. I also thought that routing to the cell rather than immediately back into the fuel pump would help bleed air out of the system faster. Admittedly, not a real concern, but ...
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Liked: 210

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderG View Post
    - any testing involves running the very loud car in my calm suburban 'hood. Not good.

cheers,
    BoulderG
    Same problem here. Go down to Mida's muffler. Find their scrap metal bin (all of them have it). Find a BIG canister muffler with a good case but most of the innerds rusted out. Increase the inlet size till you can slip it over your tail pipe and a 4x4 block to support it.

It will be enough to keep the neighbors off your back and not add any back pressure. Keep a broom handy to get rid of the rust dust blowing out on your driveway.
    CREW for Jeff 89 Reynard or Flag & Comm.

Contributing Member glenn cooper's Avatar
    Liked: 136

Default Ha!

Yeah reminds me of the time, about 4 hours before heading out to Rd A for the first race, final check to see if oil leak was fixed.
    3 am, had buddy hold a stock CBR900RR muffler up against outlet of race can.
    Whisper quiet. Hard to believe I had that much resourcefullness at that hour; guess I was on my third wind...
    GC

Thread Information