Liked: 1

Default Real F1000 Racing

We're about 1/2 way through the 2007 racing season and I'm disappointed that there's only been one occasion where two different style F1000's have raced each other....and in Round 1 the 1996 Van Diemen conversion came out on top. (Is there a Round 2 this weekend at RA???)

Right now we're getting into production mode for the first batch of cars and won't be able to race the "factory" car for a few months(it is fully dismantled for inspection), but I'd like to see if any F1000 owners/builders would be open enough to share their race schedules for the remainder of 2007 so maybe we can all attend some events together. I feel this would be very positive for the class for a few reasons:
    1. The only thing better than the engine note of one of these cars is the engine note of several of these cars.
    2. The manufacturers (or conversion builders) of these cars can begin to truly evaluate the strengths and weaknesses of their offerings against real competition and begin to make the cars even better.
    3. We can all get to know one another in person and start to build a community of racers as many other successful classes have done.
    So....just to start things off, here's what we are tentatively planning for the "factory" car for the rest of the year:

Sept. 1-2, SCCA Dbl Reg., Infineon Raceway
    Sept. 29-30, SCCA Dbl Reg., Willow Springs
    Oct. 13-14, SCCA Dbl Reg., Firebird Raceway (Main)
    Nov. 9-11, ARRC, Road Atlanta

Unfortunately, the remaining National races are either too far or conflict with production requirements or other events. We will start 2008 running mainly National events, and maybe a Regional or two as testing opportunities.

Matt Conrad
    Phoenix Race Works, LLC

Liked: 126

I'm trying to make the ARRC in November, but a lot of that destiny is out of my hands.

Liked: 0

Default rd atl nat this weekend

Matt:

Sean O'Connell is at the Nat at rd atl this weekend. Since Craig&Bill are in atl, they should have a Stohr there too. Sean won the first round between them earlier this year. Hopefully we can see how they both perform this weekend.

I'm not sure when the laps will be posted to mylaps, but atl region T&S is usually pretty prompt.

Contributing Member Richard Dziak's Avatar
    Liked: 3

Default F1000 Schedule for 2007

Matt:

Depending on delivery date for my F1K-07, I am planning the following events:

RMD SCCA Sept 1,2, La Junta Colorado Double Regional

Possible- September 16th, AZ Region SCCA Regional at Phoenix International Raceway

AZ SCCA Oct 13, 14th Double Regional - Firebird.

If the car is delivered after July 31st, I will not have an opportunity to test the car and get any seat time.

At La Junta, I am sure that I will be entered with Richard Crockett and John Vanderpool and their RMS02 Speads, so possibly 3 - F1000's on the track at La Junta at the same time. I would expect to finish last as Richard & John are very good drivers an have had time to test and race their cars already.

PIR is a possibilty, but not sure.

Oct 13,14th at Firebird will most likely put you and the Phoenix Race Works LLC "factory"car and myself on the track together. So most likely 2 F1000's there.

That will give me the 4 races needed to maintain the National License going into 2008. Then most likely a good schedule betwen the RMD and AZ regions as I am a duel member. Of course the more F1000's the better.

I have a friend in El Paso waiting for the final prices on Jay Novaks kit to convert his 98VD to F1000. The car is already torn apart, and ready for the conversion.

Another friend who owns both an 86 Swift DB-1 FC, and 2000 VD FC, is highly considering making a move to F1000, and will mostly make a decision after seeing my F1K-07 final production unit, and after the SCCA National runoff's. So it is my hope that in early 2008, we will have 3 F1000's in the Southern New Mexico/ El Paso area. The Swift owner needs to sell both the DB-1 FC and 00 VD FC first. He is considering converting, I am suggesting that he buy one of your cars, as a turn-key car.

In order for myself to be succesful, I will need seat time. It's been 1 year since I have been in a car (93 VD FC) Last race at Sandia in Albuquerque. Then some open track days at ArroyoSecoRaceway, which you are familiar with. I am sure the feel will come back quick. I want to be sure what to expect in the F1000 and be extra careful, considering the costs of the new turn key F1000.

I am very excited, and expect the growth rate in F1000 will expand in 2008. Seems 2007 is just a test year for the class. Since Stohr has sold 20 cars, they seem spread out across the country. Sean in his only conversion that I know of, and Rob Lav and Hector Maldonado close behind, I would not expect much more from F1000 in 2007. Then add in the 2 Speads RMS02 in Colorado, and that is my car count so far.

So I figure maybe 29 - F1000's spread out across the country for 2007.

20 Stohr, 4 Phoenix by years end, 3 conversions, 2 Speads.

And of course, I can't wait for you deliver my F1K-07
    to my home. I am ready to go, and may have to rent ArroyoSeco for a private test day with a few other FC drivers from El Paso to get that valuable seat time and figure out the new car.
    Richard Dziak
    Las Cruces, New Mexico
    Former Phoenix F1K-07 F1000 #77 owner/driver
    email: sonewmexico@gmail.com

Liked: 555

I went to Road Atlanta today to watch the regional part of the weekend (the National race is Sunday). Ken's Stohr had a couple of problems and he wasn't able to race in the regional race. They may have the car repaired for Sunday's national (I'm guessing). Sean won Saturday's regional race uncontested.

I saw pictures of the Piper F1000. It looks good and would have raced this weekend except some parts/wheels didn't arrive in time. I'm sure it will be at a race very soon.

Glenn Cooper bought a VD RF99. He raced it today in FC and was fast. He plans to buy the Nova conversion kit and I assume he's planning to run the ARRC in FB. Personally, I think he'll be the guy to beat at the ARRC, but he'll have competition, for sure.

My car is progressing well. Rear subframe is at C&J Welding getting the final TIG welding done, and I made good progress on my header tonight. I don't know when I'll race it first, but I'm definitely planning to be at the ARRC. I may not be running at the front of FB but I hope and expect to have a great time. Maybe we'll have ten or so FB race cars at that event. I'm looking forward to it.
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Liked: 712

What's amazing to me is that as of this morning there are zero F1000 cars entered for the June Sprints . I know of at least one Stohr here in the midwest and a few other cars that I would've expected to make the journey. Hopefully we can have a large group next year.
    Progress on my RF93 conversion has been frustratingly slow . I really hope to have it on the track this year. There are a lot of things that have to fall into place, but if they do, I'll also be at the ARRC. I won't go unless I have at least one weekend to shake the car down prior. I hope that all the cars mentioned by Richard D. will focus on national weekends in 2008. I think that quantity will go up by quite a bit when the Novak conversion is ready for prime time. If the pricing is favorable, I know of several current RF98+ owners that would convert. I wouldn't be surprised if there are 50+ cars next year.
    Mike Beauchamp
    RF95 Prototype 2

Get your FIA rain lights here:
    www.gyrodynamics.net/product/cartek-fia-rain-light/

Liked: 11

I'll be at Barber in July, the SIC and the ARRC.
    Sean O'Connell
    1996 RF96 FC
    1996 RF96 FB
    2004 Mygale SJ04 Zetec

Default Arrc

Sean won again as it appears the Ken Tyrell Stohr had some suspension issues.....a win is a win is a win....and Sean.....since you're the only FB winner so far this year, everyone's gonna be gunning for you in Atlanta in November .

I sure hope we can have 10-15 cars show for the race. Since I have never driven there before I may have to put a "local" in the seat to show what the car is truly capable of.....we'll see.

Matt Conrad
    Phoenix Race Works, LLC

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Conrad View Post
    ...Since I have never driven there before I may have to put a "local" in the seat to show what the car is truly capable of...
    Matt, I see it's been about an hour since you posted. How many people from the southeast (or North America) have contacted you about driving your car at the ARRC? Has it reached triple digits yet? :-).
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

We have finally completed the build of our Stohr F1000. We will race the car at its first National this coming weekend here in the Southwest at MSR Houston. After that race, the car will be available for rent. We intend to take it to Barber in July and certainly plan to be at RA in November. We will also do some events here in Texas, but after this weekend the season is pretty much over as far as nationals go. We look forward to this class getting bigger and contending at the Runoff's in 2009.

Jeff Dinges
    The Motorsports Group
    www.tmgracer.com

Default Runoffs

Jeff,

I'm glad you posted that you're looking forward to the Runoffs in 2009. I don't know how many F1000 buyers, or potential buyers, I've spoken to that say their plans are to run in 2008 and contend for the Runoffs in 2008......and maybe I'm missing something, but the classes eligible for the 2008 Runoffs are based on 2007 entries, and FB is currently last out of all the classes and 50 entries below the class we would need to surpass to be eligible. I just don't see it.....

If that is the case, do we all agree that the ARRC at Road Atlanta in November will be the showdown for FB in 2007 and 2008? I think so.

Matt Conrad
    Phoenix Race Works, LLC
    Last edited by Matt Conrad; 06.04.07 at 10:02 AM. Reason: typo

Default Hot Shoe

Russ,

I want to address your comment about putting a "local" driver in our car for the ARRC as a seperate item, because I feel pretty strongly about this issue....and yes, I have recieved e-mails already....

In the past, I've always driven our "factory" car. I did this for two reasons:
    1. No BS.....I want to race too! I never had the chance until I was 35 to climb into a race car, and now that I have the chance, and abilities, I want to race.
    2. I feel that it is easy to put a hot shoe in a car to make it go fast. A really good driver in a mediocre car will still be fast....I've seen it many times. What I'd rather show people is that our cars don't need a hot shoe to be competitive. A crusty 40-something like myself, with a little bit of effort and a small amount of talent, can be competitive in one of our cars.
    The future? Who knows. If the right opprtunity presents itself I may change my mind and yield the seat.

Matt Conrad
    Phoenix Race Works, LLC

<snip> ... do we all agree that the ARRC at Road Atlanta in November will be the showdown for FB in 2007 and 2008? I think so.
    Definitely!

The ARRC has generally (though unofficially) been considered the national championship event for all non-National (and now, non-Runoff) classes. Just ask the IT guys. In fact, when I won FS at the ARRC a few years ago, I considered myself the *world champion*. Of course, no one cared or took notice (understandably). :-).
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Contributing Member formulasuper's Avatar
    Liked: 61

Quote Originally Posted by RussMcB View Post
    Definitely!

The ARRC has generally (though unofficially) been considered the national championship event for all non-National (and now, non-Runoff) classes. Just ask the IT guys. In fact, when I won FS at the ARRC a few years ago, I considered myself the *world champion*. Of course, no one cared or took notice (understandably). :-).
    I cared. You beat me!
    Scott Woodruff
    83 RT5 Ralt/Scooteria Suzuki Formula S

(former) F440/F5/FF/FC/FA
    65 FFR Cobra Roadster 4.6 DOHC

Liked: 712

Looks like we can add one more conversion to the count:
    http://www.mylaps.com/results/newResults.jsp?id=552508

Jeremy posts here occasionally, maybe he can tell us what he's been up to!
    Mike Beauchamp
    RF95 Prototype 2

Get your FIA rain lights here:
    www.gyrodynamics.net/product/cartek-fia-rain-light/

Jeremy has been around for several years with this car (slightly different bike motor) running in FC and dominating just about every race he entered. SCCA screwed him with a weight penalty in the 05 Runoffs, and I think he decided to rework the car to F1000 specs. He has a stellar driving history, going back many years. Watch out for this man/car in F1000.

IMHO, Clark

Default Jeremy Hill

I believe Jeremy has updated his MC powered stead to a late-model VD with GSXR power....

Matt Conrad

(snip)
    So....just to start things off, here's what we are tentatively planning for the "factory" car for the rest of the year:
    (snip)
    (snip)
    Matt Conrad
    Phoenix Race Works, LLC
    Well, with any luck we will have our Stohr running and debugged by the Infineon regional; by then we'll have had a couple of regionals at Thunderhill to make most of our mistakes/do most of our learning at!

Marty
    Marty Bose - #1 gopher, GonMad Racing

Liked: 20

I believe Jeremy has updated his MC powered stead to a late-model VD with GSXR power....

Matt Conrad
    Correct, that car is a VD conversion.

Liked: 80

thank-you clark for your kind words, yes my new car is a converted 99vd, after about 500 hours of blood and sweat i decided to call it a photon vd007, we were pleased with its performance at mid-ohio considering only 4 laps of testing however the win would be much more satisfying with some competition, planning to do beaverun (where my old car should show up) mosport and watkins glen nationals, is anyone else planning to do these races?, regards, jeremy

Default Photon Photo

Hey, Jeremy, is there a chance we could see some pictures of your conversion? I'm sure I speak for many. It's so interesting to see the different approaches for engine mounts, diffs, suspension, wing mounts, oil tank, etc.

Thanks for considering.

Russ

PS. Only 500 hours? What, did you buy a kit? jk. :-).
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Liked: 126

Jeremy,

If my Citation F1000 was done, I'd be doing WGI National and maybe BeaveRun. But I might be at WGI with my RF99 FC.

Sept. 29-30, SCCA Dbl Reg., Willow Springs
    Oct. 13-14, SCCA Dbl Reg., Firebird Raceway (Main)
    Nov. 9-11, ARRC, Road Atlanta

I'll be racing the GoPro Stohr F1000 at Infineon on SEPT 1-2. Home track, baby!

It'll be good to meet any and all that make it...really looking forward to it.

F'in1000 - Nick

Quote Originally Posted by martyb View Post
    Well, with any luck we will have our Stohr running and debugged by the Infineon regional; by then we'll have had a couple of regionals at Thunderhill to make most of our mistakes/do most of our learning at!

Marty

Nice Marty! You're in San Leandro?

I'm in Pescadero. I think there's 1 other F1000 I know of going to Rennsport down in Campbell. That makes 3 of us for San Francisco Regional. Hopefully more soon. At least we have plenty of Pro FMs in this area to try and beat on a good day!

Looking forward to meeting you -- Nick

GoPro
    Micro video cameras for sports.
    http://www.goprocamera.com

Contributing Member Nicholas Belling's Avatar

Default Count another stohr in for all the same events. That makes 4+ now

Trying to put the most development in before end of season in prep for a big year following.

It will be a fun journey developing these cars for sure.

See you all there..
    Nicholas Belling
    email@nicholasbelling.com
    Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Default Arrc

We've thought long and hard about this and have made the decision to spice things up a bit for the ARRC race at Road Atlanta in November.

We've already committed to a serious contingency program where drivers can win cash for Regional and National event wins (as well as $5,000 for a National Championship....SCCA Runoffs version).

Well, we're going to now add the ARRC to our program for 2007 and 2008. Any driver who wins the F1000 (FB) ARRC event driving one of our F1K.07 (or F1K.08 for next year) cars will win a cash prize of $2,500. Any other podium finisher will pocket $1,000. Plus, if an official track record is set by a driver of one of our cars during the event, we'll kick in another $500.

There is a major catch though....there's really only two available build slots (maybe 3) remaining where we'll be able to deliver a car in time to get it truly ready for this years event.
    We do plan to have the factory car there as well and will make the decision on the pilot for that car at a later date.

Please call us at 623-581-3222 if you would like more details on this special offer or if you're ready to place an order for a car.

Matt Conrad
    Phoenix Race Works, LLC
    Last edited by Matt Conrad; 06.08.07 at 2:39 PM. Reason: typo

Liked: 11

Just a thought. IF we don't get the numbers required for a runoffs spot next year (I think its going to take at least 2 years) but we have enough people committ to the ARRC there can be the possibility of a race with only FBs as the ARRC committee has some with SM and FE (this year). They love being the unofficial world championship venue for little national classes.

Matt, if you pay me I'll drive that car of yours. That way you don't have to beat my car!
    Sean O'Connell
    1996 RF96 FC
    1996 RF96 FB
    2004 Mygale SJ04 Zetec

Default hmmmm...

Sean:

If you drive the Phoenix car,

I will rent your car for Rob Poma!!!

name your price (I will need to start saving up for this event right now!)

(After all, I have an extra $250.00 to start with)

Default F1000 Parts

I have a friend with an 85 lola we converted to a sbc and I want to build an F1000 to punish him with. I was wondering if you can point me in the right direction of parts to build the car as well as rules, as I would like to build it to some sort of regulations even though we just race at Summit Point WV for fun as of now.

I have an engine and would like to know where I should get the rest ie: brakes, spindles-uprights, wheels, suspension and axles. Thanks for your help, Troy.

Liked: 21

Default Parts for F1000

We have everything you would need to build an F1000 from the ground up... suspension parts, chassis parts, body and wing parts, headers, cooling systems, and a lot more.

Everything F1000.

Not only can we help with parts, but can lend plenty of technical advice during your build.

We have a blog on our website that outlines the constuction of our F1k.07. It might be helpfull to check it out. www.phoenixraceworks.com

The F1000 rules are in the GCR. www.scca.com/documents/Club%20Rules/GCR2008.pdf

The F1000 section starts on page 241.
    Last edited by Wright D; 07.23.08 at 7:47 PM. Reason: added rules link
    Dustin Wright
    Phoenix Race Works L.L.C.
    www.phoenixraceworks.com

Thread Information