Thread: 1st race ??

Liked: 2

Default 1st race ??

Ran the April 2 day school at Nelson no issues, just slow. First day was dry second wet but drying. First time in open wheel car. Running a FE car. 6 open wheels cars in school so no real traffic issues but some competitive passes were made.

Went to Beaver run 2 weeks ago, only one other formula car so turned into great testing day. Ran a few high 1:05s so about 7 seconds off FE record, was about 20-25 sec off FE record at Nelson during school. So I am feeling more comfortable in car and just doing what I can, learning as I go.

So I want to run a race in July wondering about grid size. The weekend is either Double regional at Nelson vs July sprints at The Glen. I think Glen turn out last year was pretty good say 25 cars vs half at Nelson.

I know it is difficult to predict but with a few calls closer to weekend I could get good idea. Should I not worry about it and just go to The Glen this is only 150 miles vs 250 for Nelson and I am not very fond of dirt paddocks. The Glen really is my home track and I am looking a 3 events there this year.

With a big track like the Glen I would think grid size perhaps less of an issue.

Hey turn one is pretty damn wide with asphalt runoff

Thanks
    Ed
    "The visibility at the best of times is liable to be a bit hazy due to clouds of ignorance"... Carroll Smith

Contributing Member
    Liked: 863

You actually answered your own question...Go to WGI, it's a big track so a large run group is not an issue, shorter tow, better facility. Worst case, if you really feel out of place on the grid for the race, you can always start at the back. However, sooner or later its time to go racing, and the only way you'll gain experience is to 'just do it'.
    ----------
    In memory of Joe Stimola and Glenn Phillips

Liked: 0

Default Yep.......

Just as Bob is suggesting.

You gotta start somewhere. Use your head and you should be ok.

More seat time at your home track will turn into improved performance each time you go there.

Have fun!!
    Peace
    HardRock Motorsport

Default THANKS GUYS

Headed for the Glen
    thanks guys
    "The visibility at the best of times is liable to be a bit hazy due to clouds of ignorance"... Carroll Smith

Liked: 3

Nelson can be a little hard on low ground clearence cars. That's why you don't usually have a big field of wings and things.

It is very fast and fun to drive.

Liked: 9

Default FE Racing

Having been at both tracks, I would probably choose the Glen over Nelson but, the choice is closer than you would think.

Nelson is a nice fast (really fast) course. The carousel is reall fun as well as the back straight. The people there are outstanding and will bend over backwards for you. Track time is plentiful and you can really figure out the car. The negatives are that the track surface bites. The bump near the access road and assorted undulations really take their toll. (I lost most of my jabrock at this track; maybe a filling too ) Warren, OH is also right in between Nowhere, OH and I'm really Lost, OH. Don't get me wrong, I'll still go there for a race. I have had a great time at that track.

On the other hand, the Glen is also a really fast course as well. It is probably my 2nd favorite track having been recently eclipsed by Road America (OUTSTANDING!!!!). Competition at the Glen is always good but the guardrails (aka the blue monster) are really close to the track. Stay on the black stuff = good; drift off = bad. The town is quaint and has alot to offer. Good hotels are plentiful and fairly easy to get too. Open wheel competition is usually pretty good and most competitors are cordial, respectful and courteous. The paddock is paved, clean and well maintained. Though, the weather changes more rapidly than . . .(insert your own sexist comment here). The Glen has a bunch of history and is, overall, a more technical track.
    Given the choice, go to the Glen.

I look forward to racing with you soon.

Steve

BTW it's not the runoff in 1 you need to worry about; It's those big A** gator teeth along with that bloody divot at the end of the paint. Just ask the F2000 guys.

Steve,
    The glen is great, been there many times as a spectator sitting there thinking I could do that !!!

Never ran the Glen in superbike but Nelson many times in the 80s. When I went to driver school in April it was the same old Nelson.

Well my friend you can lead me around the track at the sprints.

Are you planning on the test day ? . My kids got me speed secrets of The Glen for fathers day, Brock Yates thing nice corner by corner etc etc and some good old footage so I will be studying that..

See you at the Glen
    Ed

Thread Information