Liked: 447

I noticed the "crew pass" checkbox on the application form the last few years of applying for my SCCA membership so this year I figured, "What the hell?" and checked it. So now my membership card and license both say crew on them. I thought checking the box would have enabled me to get an additional crew pass to allow a guest in the hot pit lane. What did I do???
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29
    Follow me on Twitter @KeithCarter74

Contributing Member
    Liked: 0

I believe checking "crew" means you are allowed in the hot pit lane if you are not driving.

Of course, your license should still say "Nat Competition" on it as well. If not looks like you will spend some time on the phone with Topeka.
    You know you're old when all your driving heros are collecting Social Security...

Contributing Member
    Liked: 8

"Crew" means that you can act as a crewmember. It does not grant access to the pit unless you are registered as a crewmember for a specific racer, and you have signed the waiver at registration. If you do NOT have "crew," you can still work on a car (if you can get into the paddock), but you cannot go into the pit area.

Different tracks and regions have different levels of enforcement, but this is the meaning of "Crew."

Larry Oliver
    Larry Oliver

Contributing Member D.T. Benner's Avatar
    Liked: 2

Sounds like you Scca-crewed yourself!

Liked: 27

Thanks for filling me in on the "crew" box I also checked on my SCCA membership. I am just getting started and have helped Tim Koch on his FF Citation in the past. Guess now I'll actually be Legal. As always this site helps us Newbies manuver through all the trials and tribulatons of "getting started".

Thanks
    Bill Gray

Contributing Member Terry Hanushek's Avatar
    Liked: 59

Keith

Originally posted by Keith Carter:
    I noticed the "crew pass" checkbox on the application form the last few years of applying for my SCCA membership so this year I figured, "What the hell?" and checked it. So now my membership card and license both say crew on them. I thought checking the box would have enabled me to get an additional crew pass to allow a guest in the hot pit lane. What did I do???
    That check box on your membership application is for a crew license not a crew pass. There are sometimes areas at a race track (like flag stations) that are only available to licensed SCCA members. It is not a big deal for licensed competitors and officials but it may help folks on your crew who have no other licenses. It is more of an insurance deal than anything else.

Terry

Liked: 447

So it would be a safe bet for anyone who doesn't race, but is involved with racing SCCA should check that box?
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29
    Follow me on Twitter @KeithCarter74

Liked: 202

Yes. It doesn't cost anything and it CAN have benefits. There's no reason not to check it, even if you DO race (I have both a National license and a crew license). Even GT-1 drivers will sometimes help out their fellow Frogs...
    Butch Kummer
    2006, 2007, 2010 SARRC GTA Champion

Liked: 0

Signing in on your crew license at the track you get full coverage of insurance in effect at the track. Signing in on your menbership used to have a $10,000 coverage limit, it may be less now.
    Joe
    FV01

Thread Information