Thread: Hallett

Contributing Member
    Liked: 110

Default Hallett

Weather was beautiful, if you like windy and cold. Sunday was Gerald Barrett, Tim Webb, Joe Bass and myself. I had no crew this weekend. Just as my 2 teenage boys have learned enough to really be of some value at the race track, hormones have taken over. Seems going to Prom, girls and baseball have become more important than going racing. I guess I ought to be glad.

Tim Webb was on his own also. Since we were the last group and most had loaded up and left, one of the track employees helped us get buckled in and with our jump batteries on the grid - I love Hallett.

I have been trying to get my car working better in cold conditions and after qualifying it looked like things were going pretty good. I was first with Tim and Gerald second and third but right together with Joe Bass next.

I guess I jinxed myself. At lunch after qualifying I was thinking how little work the weekend was and really how little I had to do to the car all weekend. At the start, Gerald in his V6 powered Swift drove around me into first with me second and Tim in third. I think Tim dropped a wheel off somewhere while I chased Gerald. After a couple laps the hydraulic part of my clutch system quit working. I still use the clutch and it took me several laps to get used to shifting without the clutch. During this Gerald was driving away and Tim drove around me for second.

Congrats to Gerald for the win and congrats to Tim Webb for fastest race lap. Tim is new to FF and getting up to speed pretty fast. Start watching out for him.

Gerald ran the skinny rear tires on the rear. Maybe he can comment but from my perspective they seemed to come up to temperature faster in the cold weather.

All in all a fun weekend, wish the Texas boys would have been there

Liked: 99

Default Hallett

Bill - Sorry we missed it. We are trying to be there for the July 4th race weekend.My daughter really wants to race at Hallett.If we make it we will bring at least two cars maybe more.Sorry you had a failure with your clutch hydraulics.I found that the viton seals seemed to last much longer that the standard rubber ones.You guys should come down to TMS for the Double National . We have a large field of cars that are suppose to show up(10).It should be alot of fun. Mike Sauce

Liked: 2

Bill,
    How did the new cooling system work out? Sounds like it may have been to cold to fully test it. A few years back, my clutch started acting up. When I pulled it apart, the slave cylinder had grooves where the seals wore. Ended up buying a new one from England, but I'm sure it could easily be made over here. Taylor recommends surface hardening the AL part.

Scott
    Scott

FF23
    Liked: 0

Default Hallett FF vs FV times

Bill,
    After studying our times and comparing how far off the track record we were (compared to the FV's) I was underwhelmed by my performance. Stephen Dreizler was right at the track record in his FV (same group/race as us). We were 1.5 seconds off the FF record. I know 4 FV's were bunched together and had a nice draft going. The FF field spread apart fairly quickly and we didn't have the advantage of a draft. I think that strong head-wind we were driving into on the front straight slowed us some, especially because we had no draft.
    Any thoughts? Maybe some input from one of the FV drivers would help.
    Thanks,
    Gerald.

Liked: 99

Default Hallett

Scott- I hope to see you at TMS as well.I am bringing 5 cars. plus R. Acock,R. Bailey,Michael Bowen and hopefully a couple more will show.We should have 10 or more cars.

Liked: 0

Default Hallett

Gerald,

Congratulations on your win.

I'm probably not much help. The Vees were in the draft most of the race. Dreizler got his good time running us three down and just missed my track record by .009 of a second.... We were all within a half of a second of the record. I didn't really think the track was fast or slow. Our good times were probably a result of the good competition in the draft.

BTW I was looking on mylaps.com and, for the first time ever on their site, see the results are wrong. They have Dreizler as winner when he was in fact, the last of our group in 4th. Lap chart is right, just not results!

Lisa

Thread Information