Thread: Racing School

Liked: 8

Default Racing School

[SIZE=2]Ok, so I have been researching the schooling process. I have been getting prices of $4k from Skippy to $5500 at Roos. Roos also claims you need to do a 5 day course (2day Advance + 3 day).
    I also check with the SCCA, but I was a little confused by what I was told. I was told you can do one of there classes while you have a novice permit, or a double class, then you can race 2 regionals and get a sign off? Is that correct.
    Well if anyone has any other alternatives please pass them along. I am located in NY.
    Thanks
    Anthony
    [/SIZE]
    Anthony Carbone Jr.
    SCCA SRF Gen3 #16
    05 Porsche 997

Contributing Member John Nesbitt's Avatar
    Liked: 910

Quote Originally Posted by AjC Jr View Post
    I also check with the SCCA, but I was a little confused by what I was told. I was told you can do one of there classes while you have a novice permit, or a double class, then you can race 2 regionals and get a sign off? Is that correct?
    Your SCCA options are as follows:

1. Get a novice permit and do 2 schools successfully (or 1 double school successfully). This qualifies you for a regional licence, which is made permanent after two successful races. (You can also do up to 4 races on your signed-off novice permit.)

Or,

2. Do a commercial school and/or have previous experience, then attend an SCCA driving school. You can request that your second school be waived based on your other experience and/or commercial school. The Chief Steward may waive your second school based on your performance and the recommendation of the chief instructor. The operative word is 'may'. Then do two regionals for final sign-off, as above.
    John Nesbitt
    ex-Swift DB-1

Contributing Member
    Liked: 863

mmm- I believe a 3 day skippy school with a specific certificate issued by them ($$) will get you a SCCA Regional licence. I'm not sure how SCCA views the Roos School re licences, but its worth calling them.

These schools will teach you tons of racecraft and car control. The SCCA schools will teach you driving in multiclass traffic and what to expect at a SCCA race weekend. All good to know, but if you have to choose; I would vote for the professional school first.

As far as costs- in the end the pro schools are probably more efficient and a cheaper way to get the licence when you factor in everything, starting at scratch.
    ----------
    In memory of Joe Stimola and Glenn Phillips

Liked: 42

Skippy 3 day gets you an SCCA regional license.

If you factor in all the costs it is about a push compared to the cost of an SCCA school. Plus you are 'in' with the Barber system and can go back and do other stuff with them.

Liked: 3787

Jr.

Sort of depends if you already own a car or not. If you already own a race worthy car that can operate successfully for 3 straight days, then a SCCA double school may be the plan for you.

If not, then Skippy may be the fast ticket to the lifetime addiction.

Another thread explains the current dilemma of finding the few SCCA schools that are available to meet your schedule. (if you hurry, you can still qualify for the June Sprints )

Liked: 34

As Froggy, Cool, Bob, et al, pointed out, IF you already have a race car AND all the driver safety equipment, the SCCA schools are cheaper. But as the purple amphibian pointed out, your car needs to been able to run and be on track for 2-3 days with only minor maintenance (fuel, air, oil). One needs to be learning the race craft during DRIVER'S school, not car maintenance. The pro schools have you focused on driving while they have their mechanics do the work on the car.

As was stated, the different regions of SCCA only offer schools at select times during the year. Out here in SUNNY Nor Cal, we already had our driver's school @ the beginning of March. Whereas the commercial schools offer courses almost year round. What's your schedule?

Don't forget about the Jim Russell schools at Infineon/Sear Point and eastern Canada (I forget which track).

Good luck
    dave

Thread Information