Global Moderator Dave Woodmancy's Avatar
    Liked: 69

Default Reynard SF84 sidepods?

Hey guys I am looking at replacing/updating the sidepods on a 84 Reynard. I have seen alot of different configurations on these cars. Can anyone who has done this offer any advice, good or bad. I am replacing all the floor pans as well so I figured now is the best time to look at all the options.

Thanks,

Dave

Contributing Member
    Liked: 8

Default 84 side pods

I have an update for the 83/4 Reynard side pods, consisting of fiberglass pods similar to those used on the 87/later cars. While I would like to claim that they improve cooling, the fact is that the original units worked OK, and most cooling problems are associated with old radiators, and not side pods.

...having said that, these side pods really look good!

Larry Oliver
    International Racing Products
    703-759-0567 most evenings until 9:00 PM eastern
    Larry Oliver

Contributing Member D.T. Benner's Avatar
    Liked: 2

Default Up date.

I up dated my 1984 with side pods from Larry a long time ago. I think they made the car look a lot better even if they did not do a lot for better cooling.

Liked: 309

Larry, do the new ones look like this?

Does anyone know where one can buy complete SF84-style bodywork for a Reynard SF84 converted to FB? (No, not mine.)

Thanks! Stan
    Stan Clayton
    Stohr Cars

Liked: 0

The rockers and side bars on the cockpit in that picture do not look like SF84 to me. Are you sure that's not a 87 or newer car?

Google Images identified it as an SF84, though I am not certain as I know very little about these cars. It's just that I was recently visiting a friend converting his (IIRC) SF84 from FF to FB, and he is looking for bodywork, as the project came without it. Thx! Stan
    Stan Clayton
    Stohr Cars

Liked: 210

It is a '90 or newer. I think all he was asking is about the side pod design. However interesting picture as my son and I are going through something that this illustrates. THIS picture has the dash and cross brace as it's designed on our 90SF. Note the cross bar just at the base of the upright and flat dash.

Jeff commments about a 'tight fit' getting in this and we could NOT figure out why he felt different in it as opposed to the '89. Initially I thought it was a difference in the fuel cell enclosure design. But NO. In the '89, the dash is much smaller, tilted up at an angle and the steering wheel is angled higher. But more then that, the cross brace at the base of the dash was NOT installed on the '89's. Therefore, more knee room entering the car.

Not profound, but interesting.

Edit: Yes Stan, rockers on the earlier cars were a very different design.

Uhhh, Stan. Is somebody putting a Bike engine in that??? Doesn't quite look like a Pinto back there. Yet, the frame rails in back are clearly 'stock'.

BODY WORK:
    Doesn't Pennon make complete body work for these? From 1982 to 1992 designs. We don't need any (YET) but sure would like to know sources.
    CREW for Jeff 89 Reynard or Flag & Comm.

Wow, a rocker arm F1000! Priming the pump for that new CFB class I've heard so much about?

Quote Originally Posted by rickb99 View Post
    Edit: Yes Stan, rockers on the earlier cars were a very different design.

Uhhh, Stan. Is somebody putting a Bike engine in that??? Doesn't quite look like a Pinto back there. Yet, the frame rails in back are clearly 'stock'.

BODY WORK:
    Doesn't Pennon make complete body work for these? From 1982 to 1992 designs. We don't need any (YET) but sure would like to know sources.
    Thanks Rick! Yes, the rockers on my friend's car are flat, not canted as in that photo. BTW, I have no idea what engine is in the car in the photo, but my friend's car was converted to DSR at least 10 years ago. However, the sports racer bodywork made it so heavy that it was totally uncompetitive, so he decided to change to FB.

My friend also just finished converting the car from the '99 R1 to a bone-stock '04 R1, and we figure he'll have to add a small amount of ballast to make minimum weight. In fact, he plans to run it at the SFR track day on 23 Dec if we can find and mount bodywork.

Thanks for the tip about Pennon. I'll pass it along.

CFB...yer killin' me!

Stan
    Stan Clayton
    Stohr Cars

Liked: 3787

The green sidepods in Stan's photo above are very similar of what many of us call "uprated sidepods" for an '84 SF2000. The car in Stan's photo appears to be "87 or later. Interesting that the car in the photo has steel front uprights.

Rickb99, The cross bar in that forward roll hoop can be cut out. Richard Pare had a very informative post a few weeks ago about how to build a safer dash that has far less potential for damaging knees. Basically one 'hangs' the dash on breakaway rubber grommets. The steering shaft bearing/bushing can be mounted on the dash material. The whole assembly has the ability to 'break away' if one's knees were to be driven rearwards. The modern Citations are very good examples of the best way to build safe dashes.

Attached is a photo of the '87-'90 aero sidepods available from Larry.
    Last edited by Purple Frog; 09.07.09 at 9:44 PM.

I'd check with Larry for complete bodywork too.

Liked: 709

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Frog View Post
    Attached is a photo of the '87-'90 aero sidepods available from Larry.
    What is everyone pointing at?
    Mike Beauchamp
    RF95 Prototype 2

Get your FIA rain lights here:
    www.gyrodynamics.net/product/cartek-fia-rain-light/

Liked: 210

Thanks for that input Frog. Yes, looks like this other dash is set up more to be a break away type as was described in the other thread. It's mounted on rubber grommets and quite flexable.

I WISH the guys that have this body work for the Reynards for sale had pictures of the pieces on a web site. Sure would help in saying "Ahhh, yes that's just what I need". You could see if all the pimples and bumps are in the right place to mate with the remains.

I think that's a shot that was taken just BEFORE they placed the phone call to
    Coast-to-Coast AM and reported the UFO. I was listening that night.

P.S. Coast-to-Coast is a great show to listen to when camping at the track on a moon-less night. Especially up here in the Northwest when the topic is Big Foot, ghost stories or cattle mutilations by the guys in black helocopters.
    Last edited by rickb99; 11.26.07 at 1:41 AM.
    CREW for Jeff 89 Reynard or Flag & Comm.

Contributing Member

Default Side pods

1. The car in the photo is an 87 or newer Reynard.
    2. The side pods in the photo are the original design.
    3. The 84 side pods I have are very similar in design to those shown in the photo.
    4. I have "Pro Spec" side pods for the 87/newer car that are narrower in front and taper back to the chassis at the rear. They can be adapted to fit the 84.
    5. The radiators are all the same.

I'll try to follow the suggestion and put some pictures of the various side pods on my web site...but updating my site hasn't been very popular (with me). It's rather like a root canal. But I'll try to do better!

Larry Oliver
    Larry Oliver

Thanks for the added info, Larry. Do you carry additional 82-86 Reynard FC bodywork, including the cockpit surround, nose and/or wings?

His Purpleness, can you confirm the outside dimension of the radiator (h & w)?

Thanks! Stan
    Stan Clayton
    Stohr Cars

Liked: 3787

Stan,

The main body of spare radiator in the trailer appears to be ~7.5" X ~19.5" It has a 1/2" flange running full lenth top and bottom.

Approximating by holding a tape against the side of the car. It appears the radiators in the car may be ~8.0" tall by ~19.5" long.

Default 84/86 Reynard

Hey Larry, concerning my 84 Reynard FF, converted to an FC in 86:

Is there any peice of fiberglass that can go behind my head to help aero, like the newer cars?

Like a bump coming from the flat orginal fiberglass, to the back of my rear roll bar or something.

Thanks,
    Steve
    Steve
    1984/86 Reynard SF2000
    WDC Region

Contributing Member

Default Reynard intake

Steve,

I have an intake for your car that resembles a Swift. The intake could be pretty much directly above your head. It would replace your existing snorkle, and mount to the flat upper body portion over the engine.

I try to maintain my credibility by not over-stating capabilities, so I won't claim that it will reduce drag, since I've never put the car in a wind tunnel and done a drag count. You're welcome to take a look at it if you're interested.

Larry Oliver
    Larry Oliver

Default Questions

Larry,
    -Do you have any pics of the peice?
    -What happens to the snorkle, since it crams the air down into my carburetor, would I have to make a tunnel attatchment from the overhead intake, to my ccarburetor ?(wouldn't be very hard to do)

Thanks,
    Steve
    Steve
    1984/86 Reynard SF2000
    WDC Region

Contributing Member

Default Hump back

Sorry, no pics at this time. The opening is above the driver's head, and it ducts the air to the carb in the same manner that the old snorkel does. You would just remove the snorkel and this piece fits on the upper body, using the snorkel opening.

Larry
    Larry Oliver

Thanks Larry, I'm going to get:
    - HANS device
    - Spare uprights
    - New Shocks

before I get the peice, thanks for your help!

steve
    Steve
    1984/86 Reynard SF2000
    WDC Region

Liked: 1

The SF-84 has a odd frame design that makes the side pod attachment points on the bottom a challenge. The side does not come down to the bottom and just make a 90 deg turn. The side stops apx.m 4" from the bottom makes a 45 deg turn in, then meets the belly pan with another 45 deg turn. This makes the bottom of the side pod unique in its shape and attachment points.
    We tried (on paper) to hash out a way to convert it over to a 90 deg. design for aero and side pod reasons, only to go with the "pro" Van Demean looking pods that were made back in the W's? to replace the OE type, open rad. type.
    Are those the ones that you are still selling Larry? They seemed to work and look the best.

Stan we fit ally rads from a mid 'S VD to my SF-84 with only a little trimming to the mounting can, so if you any off a VD sitting around that size will do?
    SuperTech Engineering inc.
    Mark Hatheway

Liked: 1

Steve as big as that Reynard roll hoop is I don't think that I would enclose all of it? Ive seen some nice ones that were tucked in close to the hoop. Just an idea. My 84 had the square type and seemed to work fine.
    SuperTech Engineering inc.
    Mark Hatheway

After I deal with things higher on my priorities list, I will probably make myself a little bump going maybe halfway up my roll hoop, and extending out a ways to smooth aout the air, and get some more airflow going down the car, and not curling up behind my helmet.
    Steve
    1984/86 Reynard SF2000
    WDC Region

Thread Information