Liked: 0

Default rear axle what to use??????

I am going to use the same setup from the f500, they use an gokart axle with a 4 link suspension. any one see a problem with this?

Contributing Member

Default F440 to F1000

I hate to be a spoil sport but I have built 20 or so F440 & F500 cars & at best this will be a VERY DIFFICULT task.

What F440 chassis are you using?

In my humble opinion this could be a very dangerous experiment. There are not/were not any F440 chassis that were up to the HP of a modern 1000 cc bike engine.

Now this is not saying that it would not be fast, it would be scarry fast with the emphasis on scarry.

Also take a hard look at the F1000/FB & Formula car rules. Vey few if any F440 chassis would meet the roll bar rules as nearly 100% of them were built with 1 1/4" diameter roll bars as opposed to the minimum requirement of 1 3/8" for all current Formula cars. Any F440 chassis would also probably not meet the minimum cockpit opening rules.

I also suggest that you contact John Bauer at the SCCA to determine homologation requirements for this project. They may not allow this type of conversion.

Be very careful before deciding to spend your $$$ & time on this project, I think you might be better of building your own frame or buying a low cost FC or FF & starting from a better chassis.

Thanks ... Jay Novak
    Last edited by Jay N; 11.13.07 at 12:47 AM.

Default Rear axles

The FB Car Building section of this forum has a few examples of diffs in use. Taylor makes an extremely nice one. In my case, and at least one other builder who posted here, have converted a VW 020 diff to chain drive.

And FWIW, I am building my car from scratch. I decided to go that route when my good buddy refused to let me dismantle the Swift SE3. Neil, if you are reading this, this is for you
    I certainly am not one to give advice when not wanted or warranted, but I have to ask. Have you considered selling the F440 and just building your own car from the ground up? It won't take much longer, if at all, than stretching and widing your chassis for the F440.

Classifieds Super License Messenger Racing's Avatar
    Liked: 160

Default rear axle

Or are you simply suggesting the use of a solid rear axle design in a new chassis you are building? That is the way I read it. If so, it has been done for many years in c and d sports racers. It has its limitations but is possible. Tell us more about your project.

Jay Messenger
    www.messengerracing.com
    RaceDog
    Messenger Racing
    Muleshoe, Texas USA

Quote Originally Posted by cparsons View Post
    The FB Car Building section of this forum has a few examples of diffs in use. Taylor makes an extremely nice one. In my case, and at least one other builder who posted here, have converted a VW 020 diff to chain drive.

And FWIW, I am building my car from scratch. I decided to go that route when my good buddy refused to let me dismantle the Swift SE3. Neil, if you are reading this, this is for you
    I certainly am not one to give advice when not wanted or warranted, but I have to ask. Have you considered selling the F440 and just building your own car from the ground up? It won't take much longer, if at all, than stretching and widing your chassis for the F440.
    The car is going to be all worked over, the only thing I am using is the cockpit. I sold ever thing off to help with the build. thanks chris

Quote Originally Posted by Messenger Racing View Post
    Or are you simply suggesting the use of a solid rear axle design in a new chassis you are building? That is the way I read it. If so, it has been done for many years in c and d sports racers. It has its limitations but is possible. Tell us more about your project.

Jay Messenger
    www.messengerracing.com
    I am trying to build this car for less than $7,000. But doing that with out cutting any corners. I sold off parts of my 440 to fund this car build. I just got done putting the motor in today ever thing looks good. I am in the process of setting up the 4 link. That is going to take some time. I hope to get some pics on hear some time after the 4 link is all done.

Thanks chris

Thread Information