Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Runoffs 2007

Liked: 0

Congrats Chas!! As mentioned above, a tough year. Nice Job!
    Jeff O

Liked: 80

congrats chas, nice come back after your misfortunes of last year and the glen!, regards, jeremy hill

Great Job!!! You deserve to win after such a tough year!!
    Steve
    1984/86 Reynard SF2000
    WDC Region

Liked: 3787

Some pictures from Topeka.

Last edited by Purple Frog; 09.07.09 at 11:15 PM.

More from the race grid.

Last edited by Purple Frog; 11.08.09 at 1:33 AM.

Chas at the finish.

Last edited by Purple Frog; 09.07.09 at 9:45 PM.

Liked: 79

Congrats Chas, and thanks to Mike for the pictures and updates!!

Default Afternoon after

I'm suffering jet lag, celebration lag from the 3 hour post race impound, load-up lag, lag from the victory party with Rob, Al, Cole, Chas and Jill, Piled on to lag from sleeping in a car at Kansas City International for 2 hours waiting for them to turn on the lights at 4 a.m.

First off, my heart goes out to Nicki and his family. What a bummer. I'm sure all would agree that we wanted to see all cars running at the end. Niki was not far from pulling off a hat trick. Not easy in this class. He and his dad run probably the top shelf program in club racing. Great attention to every detail. Great driver.
    I was told Niki started the fun of the inflatable moose head that wandered from paddock space to paddock space for days.

Chas was a deserved winner. Tons of work rebuilding a destroyed car from Watkins Glen. The determination to be out there testing as early as the Monday before the Runoffs. The courage to bring Cole into the fold. Staying with a "standard" downforce configuration and Goodyears when it looked like ton-o-wing and Hoosier rubber was the way to go.

I see Chas a very popular winner. He dug in and fought for the open-wheel guys early in the year when some regions were talking of adding more tin-top sessions at the detriment of openwheel racing. Instead of just yapping, he became part of club administration. He then supported his local SCCA races to show support, even when he could have played with the F2000 series. He has been knocking at the Runoffs Championship door for many years, only to lose it in wacky ways so many times. He even admitted many times on yesterday's podium, sometimes it's better to be lucky. Class act.

And, was he lucky. It was raining for the morning warm-up. It looked like rain for the race at that point. He put the wet setup on the car to test in the morning. Then he over heated the starter waiting on the pit lane during a clean-up. He lost that whole session. Then he had to re-set the car to dry settings. Somehow in all that, one fitting on the rear ARB didn't stay tight. Chas ran the whole race with his rear sway bar loose, causing the mighty push. Thus, as the laps ticked off LaRue was closing fast. In this case luck went Chas' way with a shortened race length after the black-all early on.

The track was a mess. Even on the last lap there were still streams running across the surface at critical points on the track. And having a race follow the SM race with all their off-road antics, left mud everywhere. The T14 section was tricky at best. The stream crossing the track at the entry to 'bus stop' and the mud in the exit caused the mess early on that created the black-all. There was barely one line all race.

Please keep ignoring Chas when he says he wants all important races moved to Summit Point.

We heard on the PA that DaveW received the Hard Charger award. Talking to Jose in impound, Jose was so glad that JD did not tell him that the yellow car he thought was Ludwig behind him was the charging Dave. Jose said that if he had known he probably would have paniced and driven straight off. Jose's car is going back to the shop to get a Novak conversion to F1000.

Zach had a shifter coupling break at the weld, or was that Ludwig? Rossela got caught out in the marbles at bus stop. Once in the mud and wet grass... I think Brian and Bobby got hooked up after hitting the water coming into bus stop.

OBTW, didn't I predict a few months ago that a zetec would win? Now, for the record books Chas is the first FC Zetec Runoffs winner. Looks like the fat lady has sung, when you hear of guys like DaveW doing conversions this winter.

Now lets all collectively talk Russ into staying in FC. He is proposing to sell off his FC and concentrate solely on FM, saying the constant 'upgrade of the month' cost in FC is a pain.

A real class act. Kudos to the Ludwig family for hosting a whole group of kids with MS from a local hospital on race day, in the rain. With the help of Phil Creighton's awning, and Rossela handing out cookies, the kids seemed to have a real blast. Mark went to grid with little blue handprints all over the nose of his hot rod.

Chas, enjoy! You earned it. Next time hire a crew chief that will do that 22 hour drive home for you.
    Last edited by Purple Frog; 10.14.07 at 7:48 PM.

Liked: 1

Thats a real nice job by a guy that works on the car himself and has had some bad luck in the past. Its too bad about the 2 time champ having a problem...and his brother, but I guess thats why they run the race. Chas has had to work very hard for this (so has evertone else for that matter), but this win makes all of us "independants" remember why we race.

Looking at the great pix Mike took, it seems like maybe, you diden't have to have all those extra wings to race up front? The winner used a stock set up...maybe Niki's driving style warrented extra downforce where Chas's did not?

Only looking at the race results....One might say that the Zetec has an advantage? A 1-2 finish for the modern injected powerplant in the biggest race of the year with the best drivers in Club racing? Just an observation.

Thanks for the coverage PF,,,C ya at the ARRC ,,,Mr defending champ.
    SuperTech Engineering inc.
    Mark Hatheway

Default Community Car

Another neat story.

Chas' car was made up of parts borrowed from many racers. I may not get them all. But I seem to remember the names of Kevin Firlein, Tim Minor, Chris Fahan, Paul Rieffe, Jesse Yorio, and Scott Gesford. I'm sure sometime Tuesday after Chas has some sleep he'll fill in the blanks. A NE community effort.

The story is all those guys and others, lent Chas parts to rebuild his car and convert it in time for the Runoffs. It was a real group effort.

Chas had at least 30 voicemails before we were out of impound. Popular guy.

Liked: 996

Thank you Jason, the compliments are far and few between. Sharon works very hard to help me and usually doesn't get much credit for her efforts.

Liked: 180

I have to say congrats to Chas he is a deserving champion. Also to Russ hell of a job. I will say I am less than impressed with Larues tactics on the track. He took me to the grass three times on the opening lap and then when I was completely beside him going into turn ten I was again forced on the damp part of the track and then spun collecting Bobby. All I can say is what comes around goes around.

Brian Tomasi

Brian,

I can understand the frustration. You were certainly one of the anticipated podium finshers. A nice effort was put forth all week. I was sorry to see any cars sitting off the track after a hard week and lots of effort. Since you have opted to air your concerns on the forum versus calling me, emailing me or stopping by at the track I will respond in kind.

1) I was not happy getting wheeled in T1. 2) I was forced far to the left in T2 such that my car was over the curb and into the mud. (I was also hit from behind on lap 1, but I do not know who that was) 3) I took a line and held it on the exit of 9 and you had ample room underneath me up into 10. Yes, that was the damp line and that is why I was not down there! (I knew my tires would not work on that stuff, I wasn't sure if yours would or not.) You were beside me, but that does not mean that I have to concede the corner or give you the dry line. Your spin on lap 1 resulted from cold tires, a damp and sloppy inside line, agressive throttle application and the fact that you had to pinch the car tightly to take the low line into 10. If I had wanted to be less than a sportsman I had several opportunities to take out Chas on the last lap for the gold, just ask him.

I trust that your closing words are that of frustration, not veiled threats of retailatory action on the track. I look forward to racing with you and everyone else into the coming years. If you or anyone else wish to further discuss this I will be glad to take the calls on my mobile @765.748.4848. John

BTW, nice job Chas, and nice meeting you Russ.

Liked: 180

John,

Sent you a PM.

Brian Tomasi

Brian,

Thank you for the PM. I look forward to our racing next year!

John

Classifieds Super License stonebridge20's Avatar
    Liked: 1907

Damn,...I had the popcorn all ready to go!
    Stonebridge Sports & Classics ltd
    15 Great Pasture Rd Danbury, CT. 06810 (203) 744-1120
    www.cryosciencetechnologies.com
    Cryogenic Processing · REM-ISF Processing · Race Prep & Driver Development

While much good comes from the on line forums, unfortuantely they many times encourage poor behaviour and create mob mentalities. I believe that Brian and I are above that and we will have some great racing next season. Sorry to disappoint you. Now, back to your regular programming.

Way to go Chas.

You guys have no idea how hard Chas has worked over the years for this one win. I have known Chas for quite along time. The day he picked up the 87 reynard and staring at the car sitting in the barn for hours on end drink beer to the day we rebuilt his brothers 97 van diemen that was destroyed in the trailer on the way to Hot Atlanta. It was 102 in the shade(I still get a headache just thinking about it).
    The mini 500 around the barn on the 4 wheeler and golf cart at 3am after putting all three cars back together, and winning summit point the next day. The first pro race at Mosport, that was interesting to say the least.

I can go on and on, You guys are very lucky to have a National Champ like Chas, always ready to help others repair or supply parts to get them into the race sometimes sacrificing his own car so others could fill the grid.

I'm just sorry I missed the race. Next time Chas, I'll make the race and bring our little secret weapon!!!!

Congrats Buddy, you really do deserve this one.

Suke
    Last edited by superchicken; 10.15.07 at 9:00 PM.

Liked: 59

Thanks for the updates and posts Frog. The photos were great too.

Congratulations Chas! And to all the FC drivers & teams.

Bill Wald

"Chas had at least 30 voicemails before we were out of impound. Popular guy."

And a class guy.
    Congrats Chas. Hard work does indeed pay off!

Greg
    SF86 Reynard FC
    FRCCA http://www.formularacecarclubofamerica.com
    Bill Scott Formula Car Series http://www.bsfcs.com
    BMod Autocrosser http://www.nationalroadrally.com/

Shucks, On July 14th I should have bought Lotto tickets when I posted:

[quote=Purple Frog;144069]Up front I'll make a prediction. If a top notch driver takes a well prepared FC zetec to the Runoffs with the HPT course unchanged from last year, they should win the race.

Thanks Chas and John for the confirmation. Even if the course was changed.

Liked: 9

Default Many Thanks

I have to thank all of you for your kind words, emails and phone messages. I arrived home late yesterday and slept in today so I'm just now reading all the messages. I have to say that I'm extremely overwhelmed. Your words mean more than the championship to me. Again many thanks to all of you.

The list of people to thank is extremely long and I do not want to miss anyone. I've called or received calls from many of you and I will speak with everyone personally. Frog is correct I couldn't have rebuilt a destroyed race car, converted from pinto to zetec, stripped and painted the car, rebuilt the gearbox and done a ground up rebuild on the frame in 6 weeks without a lot of help. I can't tell you how awesome it felt to know so many stepped up to help. I counted over 20 different sources of parts to rebuild and covert the car, to all of you I owe you more than you will ever realize.

I've received many emails and phone messages about next year. I do not know what I'll do next year but I'm reasonably certain I'm not going pro racing, at least not full time. I believe the level of competition in National racing is as good as pro racing and the National schedule fits my work and home life better. I really enjoy racing Coello, Tomasi, Belardi, Lindeman, LaRue, Fahan and others. If the runoffs stays in Topeka another 3 years I will likely change my mind.

Look for a teaming of the 2007 Pro F2000 champ and the FC National Champ in a long race in February driving something German.

Liked: 3323

Finally got on here.

Chas, a HUGE congratulations.
    As I said, NO ONE has worked harder and overcome more set-backs to get a National Championship. You deserved it.

Niki had us all covered big-time until he broke. John just missed getting his second National Championship after a LONG year of getting his Citation to work as it should (learning the setup, fighting mysterious fuel-pump issues - finally fixed at the Runoffs, etc.).

As far as my own lousy qualifying performance, I put all of my eggs in the soft-compound basket (they were my advantage last year), and they all fell out the bottom and broke (with only two qually's, we didn't realize they wouldn't work until Thursday's qually was over). Poopy! Ran the GY 160's for the race. Oh, well, there's always next year...if we decide to go.

A huge thank-you to Froggy for crewing for me. And also to Sherrie for putting up with me and the Kansas winds at the Runoffs again.
    Dave Weitzenhof

Default Rolex 24 in a Porsche ?

Chas,

Does that translate into Rolex 24 in a Porsche ? ?

Too cool if it's true !

Rob Poma

Chas,

If it does and you need any help on the team, let Lynne and I know. We both have 3 seasons worth of experiance as ALMS LMP2 crew members. I did refueling, and Lynne did data downloads and timing and scoring and took care of meals for the rest of the crew...

Call me when things have settled down.
    Jamie Cole

89 Reynard CFC

Only those who risk going too far will ever know how far to go

http://www.kintera.org/grassroots/jamieracesforlaf/

Default Party Pictures

Finally made it to post a couple of pictures from the party at Jd's. Here's the group with and without the "Moose"!

Thanks to all the people that worried about me during the week and also that helped me! That support made a difference; it meant a lot to me and I appreciate it!

By the way, the MOOSE came to me twice... and so did the crashes. As a scaramantic superstitious italian I tried to get rid of it, but the animal haunted me back, so it found a place on the trailer's door..

Ross

It took me a second... to figure out the Ross was Rossella.

Your second post, and you are already posting pictures. Wow, I'm impressed, took me about 2000 posts.

Too bad about the second mishap. I don't think the moose contributed.
    For those wondering. Niki started the moose wandering from FC paddock to FC paddock. Each driver signed it with well wishes and passed it on to the next driver. It then showed up at the Thursday night party at Front Range Motorsports.

I'd try to name all the faces in the pictures, but I won't.

Ross, now that we know you can post, we'll be looking for more secrets you discover in the IRL.

Liked: 5

What's up with all the dudes flashing the shocker? Classy

Contributing Member Billy Wight's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rossracing View Post
    Finally made it to post a couple of pictures from the party at Jd's.

Did you get any beer-pong pictures???
    Billy Wight
    Luxon Engineering
    www.luxonengineering.com
    858.699.5313 (mobile)
    billy@luxonengineering.com

Liked: 45

Getting sponsorship from Shocker Clothing was the highlight of my time in the Cooper Series. Glad to see JD is still rockin' the decals on the car we sold them in '06 and representing the shocker whenever possible.
    Dave Freitas Racing
    www.davefreitasracing.com
    df.racing@verizon.net

Default More pictures

OK! Some pictures from the "beer pong"..
    Cole, although trying to hide, seems to hold a glass! Mark and Crew drank some too, but not all of the loss seemed deserved..looking at the wood tilting the table!!!
    Even the ones that didn't play, still had fun and drinks!!!
    And last but not least, a fashion statement from Zach!

Rossella

Contributing Member Billy Wight's Avatar

Default wood

Quote Originally Posted by rossracing View Post
    but not all of the loss seemed deserved..looking at the wood tilting the table!!!

Rossella
    Hey now, I put that wood there fair and square, it's their fault they didn't notice it... They also didn't notice Lee and I sinking our end of the table into the grass!
    Billy Wight
    Luxon Engineering
    www.luxonengineering.com
    858.699.5313 (mobile)
    billy@luxonengineering.com

Liked: 29

Default brilliant engineering !

Billy and Lee,

Nice work tilting the table and fixing the Game, the poor kids found out about it after you guys made them drink half of the Keg with all the games they lost.....Absolutely Brilliant !!!!.

To all you guys out there, these are the people to talk to when you want un-discoverable tricks !.

Very nice to meet you all .

Best Regards

Jose Gerardo
    #27 FC 5th. Place
    Last edited by jose gerardo; 10.24.07 at 11:19 PM.
    Step on the gas until you see the bright light..... THEN BRAKE HARD !

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread Information